Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tank Sticker Removal ?

rainman

Corvette
02 Z06, 65 L-76
I recently purchased a 70 Lt-1 conv. The car is about 90% original and came with a good bit of documentation. The tank stricker is still on the car. My question is should I remove the sticker and if so what is the best way without removing the body. Thanks for any help.

rainman
Welcome to the CAC! :beer
Whether or not you think you should remove the sticker may depend on what you have for other documentation. To get at it, you'd have to drop the exhaust, spare tire, and gas tank. Not exactly the most "fun" job, but not terrible either. Of course you must use great care, drain the tank and lines, etc. How clean (or crusty) everything is will determine how well (or not) it will go. When the tank is out, the sticker itself could be a whole project. It may be in good shape, and you can lift it right off, or it may be very fragile- there are tecniques for lifting bad/dirty ones. Or, you might take a picture of it and leave it on the tank.

Dick

What are those techniques for lifting bad/dirty ones? I've actually got my original tank out of the car (it had developed a leak) and it's got some (maybe most) of the sticker on it.

Unfortunately what is there is very brittle and dirty.

Any thoughts?

Also, how dangerous is an empty gas tank? I've heard that they can explode from latent fumes. . .

I don't mean to hijack rainmans post, but since we are on the topic of tank stickers...
A week ago I dropped the spare tire carrier and felt around the top of the gas tank...I didn't feel any tank sticker...so I got my digital camera and started taking pics up where I couldnt stick my head...pics came back and still didn't see anything...
My question is, should I have been able to feel or at see the sticker? Or is it usually way towads the back/rear of the car where it could still remain out of reach?
Go, ahead...somebody crush my hopes...
haha

Erik
I read an article about carefully cleaning/lifting tank stickers in one of the Vette magazines some time ago. I'll search for it and see if I can find it. I would think someone around here might know, though. As far as your emty tank, sure, it could go if exposed to an ignition source, but so could an empty gas can.

Tony
I've looked for mine from the filler neck area, and with an adjustable mirror from below, and can't see anything either. I think I would have seen something if there was even a piece of one left. I think it's usually to the right of the filler neck, but have been found on the left side as well. I may drop the tank someday, but for the reason of cleaning up and detailing the frame, mainly. I have no "paper" documentation, but have the owner history back to 1974, and am confident as to my car's originality.
Dick

I have removed a few stickers, brittle and not so brittle. The two best tools I have found are a sharp razor blade and sticker/label remover (available at Home Depot, Bed, Bath and Beyond). Begin with a small amount of remover around the edges and gently insert the blade under the edges. Be patient or the sticker will tear.

Steve, NCRS 5759

Since my tank had to be dropped anyway, I pulled the sticker. It can be hard to see or feel as they are flat sheets and may be set back to far. I do not think that there was a set place that the stickers were actulaly placed.

I have a 71 that I have done everything short of dropping the tank to see if I can find a sticker all with no luck. For my 70 all I did was pull back the rubber around the filler neck and the sticker was plain to see. It was covered with dirt but complete and readable. It does not seem to be attached very securely and I feel like I could almost pull it out by hand but I'm afraid of tearing it.........

Don't worry about hijacking a post. I'm just glad to get some info.

Steve- Welcome to the CAC! :beer

Well, I found the article about tank stickers in the March '95 issue of Corvette Fever. It did not so much talk about actually removing the sticker- just use a razor blade like Steve says- but they focused on how to restore the paper for better clarity, and how to preserve it.
I will work on trying to scan and post this (I can work on cars, but not a computer) if anyone is interested.

Dick

MidShark said:
I will work on trying to scan and post this (I can work on cars, but not a computer) if anyone is interested.

I'm interested, even in just a xerox copy.

Thanks!

I'm also interested in tank sticker restoration. Please let me know if you find the arcticle.

I have it here as well. I'll either scan it in, or I'll type it out here and include it in our Owner Information Center

Please be advised, I have recently spoken to Noland Adams who authored the article in Corvette Fever. He is going to re-write the article and provide me with a copy of it for use here on the site as well as for another magazine he writes for. As soon as I get an updated copy from him, I'll make an announcement here on the forums.

I had to remove the tank on my 72 LT-1 because of a small gas leak. All that was left of the sticker was a small portion with the order number 1ENG3(or8)4. What does the order number mean? Also the first digit of the Zone Number is 2. HP TURBO ?????(rest gone) is also on the sticker remnant. The car has the original motor with a CRT code, which I've had correspondence with Terry McMannmon at the N.C.R.S about (this whole research project was put on hold for a few months). Also, this was the 85th Corvette built for '72. Any help would be appreciated on the order number and engine code.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom