Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TANKS ALOT - 2002 Fuel Sender Problem

I have this problem too. My 2000 coupe registers fine on the top end. Goes to full on a fillup. Once the tank/tanks get to 1/3 the guage drops to "0". Everytime! There is always plenty of gas left.

My ride goes to the dealer next week for the "Fix". The dealer is sure its the sulphur in the gas. He will be replacing both sending units. Under warranty. I'm glad! I don't like worrying about silly stuff. ;)

If its a `97, I suggest an extended warranty if you can get one at this point. Model change years present unique problems and the 97 Vette is no different. Good luck!

Greenie, thanks for the advice. I'm in the market for an extended warranty.

Not sure who to go with, or what coverage to look for? Any advice from anyone would be very helpful.

Thanks!

extended warranty

Under Par(probably scratch!!!)- I am researching extended warranties. Hang in there!

Extended warranty

Under Par- Did you purchase the car from a GM dealer? If so, they should offer one. If not, try AAA or AutoCare. Ask a "reputable" Chevy dealer near you what they suggest. One of the problems is that not all Chevy dealers honor aftermarket warranties so be careful. make sure that your warranty is o.k. with the dealer of your choice. Good luck!

Here's a link (URL) I found helpful. http://www.extended-warranty.info/ It lists some of the most common after market, extended warranties. I think I'm definitely going to make a decision on this within the next couple of days.

The price variance with these companies is extreme. My quotes ranged from $1100 for 3 year coverage with WEB DIRECT WARRANTY to $2800 for 2 year coverage with WARRANTY BY WEB.

It looks like all the companies referenced on this website link honor any ASE certified shop (doesn't have to be a dealer). Now the trick it to compare the plans to see the delta between what's covered by each.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any opinions.
By the way....used to be a +3 handicap (played pro for a while), now I feel good when I shoot under 75......but "UNDRPR" is a good license plate!

I had this happen on my C5 also, bu tthe problem went away when I refilled the tank.

Just found this:
Q: Fuel gauge drops from reading a 1/4 of tank to empty and the check gauges light comes on.
Corvette Action Center, 2001-10-15 08:09:10
A: GM updated the fuel sending units used in the C5 Corvette and issued a service bulletin regarding this problem (TSB #010604022).

The C5 Corvette is equipped with two fuel cells and each cell has its own fuel sending unit.

The previous design of the right hand fuel sending unit caused fuel cavitation (air bubbles in the fuel) which prevented the passage of fuel into the left hand fuel cell.

The updated right hand sending unit utilizes a newly designed screen which prevents this cavitation from occurring. The left hand sending unit has been updated to prevent the gauge problems you're seeing.

You should bring your Corvette into a service center to have the fuel sending units updated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom