Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa Tint Preference: Blue or Bronze?

RacerAlex

Corvette
1987 Red Coupe (Z52) 1989 Red Coupe (MN6 Z51 FX3)
I've got two red on red Corvettes (one in showroom condition and one I'm restoring) and both have the blue-tint top. I've often thought that the bronze tint would actually go better with the red/black interior, but I've never had the chance to sit in a C4 with a bronze tint targa. Since I'll be putting a new top on the '87 during the restoration, I'd like to hear some opinions of the bronze versus the blue tint.

For what it's worth, the '87 has a bronze top build code, so I'm leaning towards that just for numbers. Still, I'm interested to hear general opinion.

I have the bronze tint and love it. I also have the standard painted top. I have only seen and sat in a car with the blue tint, never owned a blue tint top. But i do like the bronze top and my car is black / saddle so the blue would look funny on my car. I would think that the blue tint would let more light / heat in? I could be way off but the bronze tint to me, would let less light in and less heat.

I also have the Bronze tint and prefer it, but it depends on the interior color. IMHO, the Torch Red comes off better with the Bronze top. I have seen the Blue tint over a Red interior, and sometimes it gives the seats an odd purple-ish shade. This is probably less true on the other interior colors. On the other hand, looking up through the top, the sky is much nicer looking through the Blue tint. Both are great, but I think the deciding factor would be the interior color.

I wish they would have had a smoke grey. Just like the T-tops on my Firebird.

If you get a new top, make sure you don't buy an Astro Top. Give Melrose a call if you get a new top.

Thanks for the replies. I've always thought the blue tint was an odd contrast against the red interior. I've just never seen the bronze tint in person so I wanted some opinions.

70b5rt; said:
have seen the Blue tint over a Red interior, and sometimes it gives the seats an odd purple-ish shade.
Never noticed that in mine, with blue tinted 'glass' top and Carmine interior.

I doubt there is and heat differential issue, given all the glass on the car. the amount of infared that passes is likely not related to the color.

For me, the deciding factor would be the code in that car, i.e., bronze. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom