Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa Top adhesive

B

Bill

The targa top is coming loose. Is there a glue that will hold. I have tried most everything. It is a 86 vette coupe.

Hey Bill, welcome to the CAC:)
What exactly do you mean when you say the targa top is loose. Do you mean the weather stripping?

Jay

Funny, I have just been trying to solve the same problem with my top. On mine, the metal housing which the torx bolt threads into has separated from the fiberglass. I was told by a shop that a body repair adhesive that will bond metal to fiberglass will be stong enough to hold. It is supposed to be REALLY strong stuff. Another shop said they would try to fix it for $100-180, but wouldn't gaurantee the work.

I will probably buy the special gun and two-part adhesive for $85 and do it myself.

Anyone else have this problem?

Careful of how you word things here...

:L
Bill said:
The targa top is coming loose.

JT ZR-Won said:
What exactly do you mean when you say the targa top is loose?
:L

Ya see Bill, I could tell you to tighten the bolts. ;)

Targa top coming unglued

Hello Bill. Yes! This has just happened to me too. I took it (the top) to an auto glass shop here in Huntsville, and the first time, yes, the first time they "fixed" it, it lasted about a week. I took it back again and told them to "take their time" and get it right. They said this time they tried some different glue. Well, I've been taking the top off lately and don't really know if it is correct this time or not. I guess the next time I'm motoring down the road about 85 mph with the top on, I'll let you know how it did. Good luck with yours! Talk to ya soon and keep it between the lines! Greg-in-Bama (email) Greg

I have had exceptional luck with 3M weather adhesive in the red tube, it comes in yellow and black. I had an old Olds that had the vinal top, well the leading edge came loose and made quite a mess. Especially when up to speed on the hiway. I plastered the yellow stuff on the vinal and roof, waited till it got tacky then put a few bricks on it to hold it down till it dried. It never came up again. Now I realize I left myself open for some comments....so fire away....we all could use some humor in light of the past few days. Just wish I was young enough to go back into the Marines...

Targa top still there

Bill, so far so good on the glued targa top on my '87. I took it out last night with my two sons over to a friends house to watch a football game, and it seemed to still be intact. I'm going to give it a few more times on the road before I say "it's fixed" though. How is yours doing? Are you going to try and fix it yourself? If so, let us know how you did it. Take care, Greg

Eagle85C4,

Since you asked :)

The T-Top liners on Rare where loose, the little velcro type stuff was brittle and wouldn't hold anymore. The liner would "Flap" in the breeze with the windows down.

I considered ordering new velcro pieces, but fingered if I took it all apart and cleaned everything really good, it would be the last time I would ever need to have them apart...... soooooooo being the wise one that I am ~ ~ I used JB Weld and everywhere the velcro was suppose to be I mixed up a little JB Weld and used. Then I used my super pistol grip hand clamps and clamped everything together, let it sit over night and I guarantee Rare will not have "Flapping T-Top Liners". Of course I don't look forward to ever having to remove the T-Top liners. I'll just blame "Bubba" or "BudDa"

BudD
:w

Loose top

I'm also having the same problem with the Acrylic top coming away from the aluminum frame at the front. The OEM adhesive feels like the stuff that's used to mount a windshield. Does anyone know what it is and where to get it? Is it some kind of urethane adhesive?

Really strong glue

janciello,

I have yet to get around to fixing my top--I have the same problem as you. The local auto body supply store has the 2-part adhesive and special gun, I just need to stop in and buy it. Kind of expensive($80 w/gun), but I guess it is strong enough for structural repair.

Here's the product, manufactured by Fusor, http://www.fusor.com/

http://literature.lord.com/chemical/fusor/quadfolds/fusor127ez_128ez.pdf

Fusor Plastic Structural Installation Adhesive--Slow-Set Formula (#127EZ/#128EZ)
High strength structural assembly adhesive
High strength and resistance to extreme temperatures
Easy-to-gun, non-sag formula makes it perfect for structural bonding of SMC to epoxy primed metal panels
Sizes:
225 ml (7.6 oz) cartridges--Stock #127EZ
50 ml (1.7 oz) cartridges--Stock #128EZ

Work Time:
60 minutes

Applications:
Non-structural bonding of SMC or fiberglass body panels.

Note: This is what the supply store recommended, I need to contact fusor directly to get their advice.

Good Luck!

Turisimo,
Someone suggested using 3M "Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane", part #051135-08609, comes in a standard size caulking tube. I found some at a local discount auto parts chain, cost $9.95/tube. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like the right stuff for the job. There's more info at the 3M site below, just enter a search for "Super Fast Urethane" at their site and you can get all the tech specs for the product.

http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aero/aad/

I'll let you know how it works when I get around to the fix.

I believe one of these three 3M products is more appropriate for your application. The Super Fast Urethane is primaraly a sealant, not a bonding agent.

3M(TM) Structural Adhesive 08101,Two 2 fl oz tubes per kit, 6 kits per case

3M(TM) Automix(TM) Panel Bonding Adhesive 08115, 200 mL Cartridge, 6 per case

3M(TM) Automix(TM) SMC/Fiberglass Panel Adhesive 08219, 200 mL Cartridge, 6 per case

http://selector.3m.com/aad/compare....EMLIST=484&ITEMLIST=486&ITEMLIST=489&x=14&y=5

Targa top in good shape

Hey folks, I've been out of town and drove the Vette. No problems with the top coming unglued again. I took it to an auto glass repair shop here in town and they put the same stuff on it that they use on windshields. Don't know what it is, don't care... all I know is that it seemed to work. Thank goodness because I priced a new one (somewhere out of So. Cal.) and it ran approx. $1,500.00. If need be I guess I'd pay that, but $35.00 sure looks better in my checkbook minus column than that big number!!Take care people! Greg

How to fix it

When I bought my vette the top was comming apart where the fiberglass meets the aluminum mounting brackets. At speed this caused the top to lift, pulling air in from the outside. Very annoying, and noisy. I have noticed on other boards people have posted the same problem with no idea how to repair. I fixed mine the proper way, and it is now stronger than as it came from the factory. I am just going to breifly explain here how to fix.

The "proper" glue to use is a structural adhesive specially designed for fiberglass or SMC to metal bonding. Fusor makes this product, #127EZ. This adhesive is also used on the C5 vette for OEM assembly of the fiberglass body panels, and on new GM mini-van's panels.
topglue.jpg

You also need to buy the mixing gun. Total for gun and glue was about $70, far cheaper than having some bodyshop do a butcher fiberglass repair, or sending the top off to a specialty targa top repair shop. You also need a purpose mix 2-part epoxyy primer for the metal so the glue will stick. Use dupont 4840S 2K primer-sealer, and 4075S activator.

Be sure to remove all old glue from the factory! If you do not, the top will not fit properly and will end up separating again from the wind resistance. I had to use a dremel tool with a metal cutting bit to remove the old glue--the glue is hard like plastic.

Rough and clean everything up, then apply the primer to the aluminum, let dry for 2 hours. *Lightly* scuff the primer with 220 grit or scotchbrite. Follow the Fusor directions, apply glue in appropriate areas and clamp down. Let cure 24-72 hours depending on temp.
toprepair02.jpg

toprepair01.jpg

Re: How to fix it

Turismo said:
When I bought my vette the top was comming apart where the fiberglass meets the aluminum mounting brackets. At speed this caused the top to lift, pulling air in from the outside. Very annoying, and noisy. I have noticed on other boards people have posted the same problem with no idea how to repair. I fixed mine the proper way, and it is now stronger than as it came from the factory. I am just going to breifly explain here how to fix.

Timely thread - was going to ask a similar thing myself...

So the big question in my mind is how did you get the cloth liner reattached to the targa top when you were done? Just put my painted roof on for the first time after buying the car and saw that the liner's hanging :-(
[RICHR]

3M makes an adhesive that comes in a spray can. It works really well for headliners and stuff like that. I used in on a friends car's headliner with T-Tops. The wind was pulling the headliner around, and this stuff put in back in place, and it still looked factory done when he sold it 4 years later.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom