Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa Top Refurbishment

91-Vetteman

Corvette
1991 Blue Coupe
Targa Top Restoration Project

Hey guys, I was all ready to start looking for a new targa top for my 1991 Corvette. I went to my local Pep Boys in Richmond VA and found an acryic refinishing product, bought a couple of 1500 grit sanding pads and went to work one Saturday afternoon and was surpised of the outcome. It was tough to get a picture of the final look without all the glare on the roof. I now have an extra $800 to spend on something different for this winter !! :L

whats the stuff called,will it fix splits in the top?

Hi guys, the product I used is called QUIXX Scratch Remover. It came with a tube of paste, a 1500 piece of sandpaper, and a polishing cloth. The sandpaper and polishing rag were not enough to do my whole top, so I picked up some more 1500 grit sandpaper, cheesecloth, and a nice polishing rag. Then I put some elbow grease into it. I did it all by hand over a 2-day period. I was really pleased with the way it turned out. You start with the sandpaper and do some wet sanding over the bad spots, then add a little paste and continue and eventually move to the cheese cloth and finally polish it up. I had a sore arm when all done, but it was worth it. I was ready to purchase a new top, but there was no need to do so after I was done. My roof was in pretty bad shape, no real deep cuts, but very scaley and rough to the touch. All of this came out with the application. Hope this helps.

Hi guys, the product I used is called QUIXX Scratch Remover. It came with a tube of paste, a 1500 piece of sandpaper, and a polishing cloth. The sandpaper and polishing rag were not enough to do my whole top, so I picked up some more 1500 grit sandpaper, cheesecloth, and a nice polishing rag. Then I put some elbow grease into it. I did it all by hand over a 2-day period. I was really pleased with the way it turned out. You start with the sandpaper and do some wet sanding over the bad spots, then add a little paste and continue and eventually move to the cheese cloth and finally polish it up. I had a sore arm when all done, but it was worth it. I was ready to purchase a new top, but there was no need to do so after I was done. My roof was in pretty bad shape, no real deep cuts, but very scaley and rough to the touch. All of this came out with the application. Hope this helps.
Did it affect the texture/tone of the paint?

Hey Donne, my top is not painted, it is a blue acrylic (glass) targa top.

My 88 Blue Tint Targa only has a few scratches on the exterior, my issue is when you look thru it, it appears all hairline cracks, crazed I think, I do not think QuiXX will help that...........

I did a Google search for QuiXX and the first hit was some reviews on Amazon. The product is touted as a scratch remover for your paint but it looks like you have found another use for it! It looks promising to all of us that have the acrylic tops on our C4s that look as bad as yours and mine! It probably doesn't help with all the hairline cracks visible from inside but if a couple of days of elbow grease and a few bucks can make my targa top look acceptable on the outside its worth a try.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom