Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa top help 1984 Corvette

Chas100

Corvette
1984,Silver
I've had this 1984 Corvette for 8 years now. When I first purchased it, it had a few issues that I corrected the first year I had it. I removed the illuminated dash and replaced all the bulbs and cleaned the contacts. It also had a very bad hesitation when at a full stop then acceleration. Replacing the TB gasket fixed that issue.

The he issue that has me stumped now is the Targa top. The rear bolts for the top were stripped out when I purchased it. I ordered new bolts and when I went to install them I noticed that the bolt holes in the frame that the bolts screw into were also stripped about the first 1/2 to 1 inch into the hole. I tried tapping it out to rethread the holes and it did hold for a while but it was only a temporary fix. I'm in NE Ohio so it's pretty much stored in the garage from November through April and when I get the opportunity to get it out I almost never have the top on. I'm getting more time now with my children finished with college but if I get caught out in the rain with it, it leaks badly.

Is there a permanent fix for this ? I've thought about an oversized bolt or possibly a longer bolt may work. An oversized bolt may cause a problem where it would go through the top it's self and I've never saw a longer bolt that's made for the targa top.

Thank You for any info. I've been a member for a few years but I've been MIA from the forum.

Chas

I've had this 1984 Corvette for 8 years now. When I first purchased it, it had a few issues that I corrected the first year I had it. I removed the illuminated dash and replaced all the bulbs and cleaned the contacts. It also had a very bad hesitation when at a full stop then acceleration. Replacing the TB gasket fixed that issue.

The he issue that has me stumped now is the Targa top. The rear bolts for the top were stripped out when I purchased it. I ordered new bolts and when I went to install them I noticed that the bolt holes in the frame that the bolts screw into were also stripped about the first 1/2 to 1 inch into the hole. I tried tapping it out to rethread the holes and it did hold for a while but it was only a temporary fix. I'm in NE Ohio so it's pretty much stored in the garage from November through April and when I get the opportunity to get it out I almost never have the top on. I'm getting more time now with my children finished with college but if I get caught out in the rain with it, it leaks badly.

Is there a permanent fix for this ? I've thought about an oversized bolt or possibly a longer bolt may work. An oversized bolt may cause a problem where it would go through the top it's self and I've never saw a longer bolt that's made for the targa top.

Thank You for any info. I've been a member for a few years but I've been MIA from the forum.

Chas

The rear brackets I do believe that they are Available threw some of the parts vendors, but have you tried to put in a Helicoil? you drill out the threads to a certain size depending on the original thread you want to achieve tap the drilled out bracket with the kit supplied tap and Screw in a new original

helicoil,helicoil insert,helicoil inserts,helicoil kit, helicoil tap, heli-coil, helicoil tools
you should be able to find in most GOOD parts stores

Last edited:
The rear brackets I do believe that they are Available threw some of the parts vendors, but have you tried to put in a Helicoil? you drill out the threads to a certain size depending on the original thread you want to achieve tap the drilled out bracket with the kit supplied tap and Screw in a new original

helicoil,helicoil insert,helicoil inserts,helicoil kit, helicoil tap, heli-coil, helicoil tools
you should be able to find in most GOOD parts stores

I haven't tried a helicoil yet but I did consider it. When I first tapped it out it seemed like it was going to work. It did for a while and it looks like it would be tough to try and get enough metal drilled to put the helicoil in. That metal looks to be VERY hard metal. I was hoping there was some thing available to fix it. This looks like something that would happen quite often with the Targa tops.

Thanks for the info ! I actually work as a sales manager (39 years) for Genuine Parts Company (GPC). We are the corporate side of NAPA Auto Parts stores. I don't work in a NAPA store but I deal with the NAPA store owners and help train the stores Outside Sales Person, the NAPA stores inventory control and sales plans for the stores. I have a few accounts (NAPA stores) I deal with in the Pittsburgh area and also accounts in Ashtabula, OH.

I will check into a helicoil. It may be easier to drill with an air tool rather than an electrical drill. One thing on my bucket list is to do a Route 66 week long trip.

Thank You again Forest !!
Chas

Can you remove the mounting bracket that the rear bolts screw into ? I looked it over but I didn't notice any bolts that would allow that bracket to be removed. That would be awesome if you can remove it.

Looks like the bracket is Item 6

If you purchase from the Ebay seller you could e-mail him and verify they are the brackets you need.

You need to remove the B pillar halo panel. There is a hidden screw behind the B pillar cargo lamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the bracket is Item 6

If you purchase from the Ebay seller you could e-mail him and verify they are the brackets you need.

You need to remove the B pillar halo panel. There is a hidden screw behind the B pillar cargo lamps.

Their not to hard to remove and replace, as a lot of above points out. you will need some tools like a large torx socket for removing the seat belt mounts from "B" pillar the whole trim around the B pillar doesn't need come off just enough to get at the mounting bolts Removing Trim does make the Adjustment easier though when you install the new ones

Thank You !'

Many, many Thanks to forrest and ecss :beer

This has been a thorn in my side for many years. When I first got it I was limited as to when I could take it out due to the issue with the dash and also the top. After removing the dash and replacing the bulbs and cleaning all the contact areas I was at least able to have it out after dark. The previous (original) owner must have sent the the dash in and had it refurbished as there was a sticker on it showing it was rebuilt. I really like the digital dash but I couldn't see anything on the dash in the dark when the illumination wasn't working.

As as far as the top it was more getting caught in a rain (or snow in NE Ohio) storm that concerned me. I'm also going to replace the weather stripping along with brackets for the top. This will give me 2 X's or more opportunity to get it out on the road.

Thank You again
Chuck

I've been searching the net (watching the CAVS also) for the brackets on the frame that the targa top bolts screw into and I'm not a good multi tasker !!

From what I've been able to find these are called "roof panel relocation kits" ? Is this correct ?

Thank You

I've been searching the net (watching the CAVS also) for the brackets on the frame that the targa top bolts screw into and I'm not a good multi tasker !!

From what I've been able to find these are called "roof panel relocation kits" ? Is this correct ?

Thank You

They are called removable top rear locator brackets.
You go by the GM part numbers 14051185 for driver side and 14051186 for the passenger side.

Click on the link below will show you the e-bay seller with the both brackets for $23.00 shipped.

1984 1996 Corvette C4 Targa Top Mounting Rear Body Hardware 14051185 14051186 | eBay

To install the replacement brackets you need to remove the two black plastic Halo panels on the bottom of the B pillar.

These two black plastic panels cover the two brackets.

You need to be gentle when you pry on the plastic parts or you will crack them. :ugh

Remove the targa top.
Open the rear glass hatch.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Using a phillips screwdriver remove all of the screws from the driver side halo panel.
Note there is one at the very front bottom edge of the halo panel.
Next on the driver side pop the plastic cover off of the seat belt metal ring at the top of the B pillar.
The cover is hinged so it won't come off completely,
Use a T50 torx socket and remove the bolt.
With a small screwdriver at the rear edge, pry off the cargo light lens cover.
With a small screwdriver on the top edge, pry off the cargo light housing to expose a hidden phillip screw.
Remove the rear windlace.
Remove the driver side halo panel. You may have to pull outward on the front edge of the halo panel and at the same time pull downward to release it.

The passenger side removal is the same except there is a coat hanger hook that needs to be removed which is held in by a phillip screw.

Picture below shows the plastic cover over the seat belt torx T50 bolt. The cover snaps on to the seat belt ring. The cover is hinged so it doesn't come completely off.

Picture below shows the two tabs that hold the cargo lamp lens in place. From the rear of the lens cover you use a small blade screwdriver and pry inward and upward. With your fingers grab the edge of the lens cover and push the lens inward and up to release it from the lamp housing.

Picture below shows the cargo lens housing. To remove it, take a small screwdriver and push down on the top tab and with your fingers get behind the top of the housing and push downward and the lamp housing will pop out.
This will expose a phillip screw that needs to be removed.

On the back edge of the halo panels is a vinyl windlace that pulls off as shown in the picture below. It's not glued on.

This is what the bracket looks like once you remove the halo panel. If you install a replacement, make sure you test fit the top before putting the halo panels back on.

Click on the link below will show you the e-bay seller with the both brackets for $23.00 shipped.

1984 1996 Corvette C4 Targa Top Mounting Rear Body Hardware 14051185 14051186 | eBay

To install the replacement brackets you need to remove the two black plastic Halo panels on the bottom of the B pillar.

These two black plastic panels cover the two brackets.

You need to be gentle when you pry on the plastic parts or you will crack them. :ugh

Remove the targa top.
Open the rear glass hatch.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Using a phillips screwdriver remove all of the screws from the driver side halo panel.
Note there is one at the very front bottom edge of the halo panel.
Next on the driver side pop the plastic cover off of the seat belt metal ring at the top of the B pillar.
The cover is hinged so it won't come off completely,
Use a T50 torx socket and remove the bolt.
With a small screwdriver at the rear edge, pry off the cargo light lens cover.
With a small screwdriver on the top edge, pry off the cargo light housing to expose a hidden phillip screw.
Remove the rear windlace.
Remove the driver side halo panel. You may have to pull outward on the front edge of the halo panel and at the same time pull downward to release it.

The passenger side removal is the same except there is a coat hanger hook that needs to be removed which is held in by a phillip screw.

Picture below shows the plastic cover over the seat belt torx T50 bolt. The cover snaps on to the seat belt ring. The cover is hinged so it doesn't come completely off.

Picture below shows the two tabs that hold the cargo lamp lens in place. From the rear of the lens cover you use a small blade screwdriver and pry inward and upward. With your fingers grab the edge of the lens cover and push the lens inward and up to release it from the lamp housing.

Picture below shows the cargo lens housing. To remove it, take a small screwdriver and push down on the top tab and with your fingers get behind the top of the housing and push downward and the lamp housing will pop out.
This will expose a phillip screw that needs to be removed.

On the back edge of the halo panels is a vinyl windlace that pulls off as shown in the picture below. It's not glued on.

This is what the bracket looks like once you remove the halo panel. If you install a replacement, make sure you test fit the top before putting the halo panels back on.

THANK YOU !! I may also replace the weather stripping while I'm at it. I also have the door insulators and hardware kit that have been sitting in my garage for 4 or 5 years waiting for me.

I GREATLY appreciate the information and your time you took to get me the info :thumb !!

A friends 1967

4f9b84c4e2b70c6936d0340978c2196f_zps8e4qm2vn.jpg

3432d089e163f51b98660ca009c9ccc4_zpsy2jtrxtl.jpg

My 1984

de18b8e1a251606024e1cb6f86fb1de4_zpsrh6gygti.jpg

Thanks again
Chuck

Thank you !!!

Thank you forrest and ecss !!! Steve also thanks you. Its on its way:beer

FYI on my 1994, I didn't have to unplug the light & there also was no screw behind the light panel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom