Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: TB bypass

Corvette
1993 coupe
I searched and im still kinda confused. I have a 93 and want to do the bypass. Will the newer like 96 radiator and heater hose work and be a cleaner look? Thanks!

Its not a big deal...
just one less place to leak that needs a special hose.
Take a replacement hose from the intake and run it to where ever you can mate it
(with a double barbed fitting)or replace the heater hose. I ran mine from intake to heater core, one piece. I also used brass pipe and fittings so there isn't a hose anymore...but that was my personal choice.
The auto parts stores will have big vac caps to cap off the throttle body so it looks better than 2 nipples hanging out.

When I did the bypass on my 93 I replaced the two piece plus tee upper radiator hose with the one piece upper hose from the 95/96, GM part number 10278338 or use Gates 22463 or AC Delco 24408L

definately go for the molded hoses...those don;t kink like the normal straight heater hose does when its bent in a short radius curve like there will be in the TB bypass...another reason I went to metal.

Gates makes something they call a Unicoil It is a spring like piece with a metal strip attached that you slide over the hose.
bend to the radius you want and the coil keeps the hose bent and keeps it from kinking . Part number for the 3/4 is 28512
Makes routing hoses in tight places a lot easier .

Why

Ok here is my dumb question. From what I understand you are removing the water hose from the TB and plugging it off. By doing this what does it do for the car? Does anyone know why GM went to the expense of putting this water hose on the TB. It must serve some purpose. I will admit I have already blown two upper radiator hoses. By eliminating the T in the upper hose will that keep the hose from going bad?:confused

Ok here is my dumb question. From what I understand you are removing the water hose from the TB and plugging it off. By doing this what does it do for the car? Does anyone know why GM went to the expense of putting this water hose on the TB. It must serve some purpose. I will admit I have already blown two upper radiator hoses. By eliminating the T in the upper hose will that keep the hose from going bad?:confused

You are not plugging it. There is a hose going into the throttle body, and a hose coming out from the throttle body. You are connecting those hoses together, and bypassing the throttle body. The theory is that the TB is no longer getting heated up by the engine coolant, and will allow cooler unheated air into the engine for better performance. This system was put in place by GM to prevent icing on the throttle blade in very cold climates. So this change will prevent hot coolant from heating the TB.

No affect on the upper hose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom