Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TBI problem with fuel spray

cinci5

Corvette
1982 Red w/red leather int.
I just took the car to the body shop for painting and on the way there the check engine light came on. I stopped at a light and the car would not idle below 1200rpm. I got to the body shop and shut the car off while I looked for the paint guy. Found him and went to move the car for him and it would not start it cranked over though. I popped the hood and took off the air cleaner and tried to start only to find that the injectors were spraying as if it was at full throttle and it flooded the engine. I disconnected the battery and waited about 10 minutes for the gas to dissipate somewhat. I tried to restart but the injectors were still spraying at full spray. I did check the volts at throttle position sensor and it was .527. Was going to jump the pins to get codes but dont know what they are even if I did. Any help for the old f*rt please. Any thoughts any one.:cry ;shrug

If you dis-connected the battery, you wiped out the codes.
The ALDL connector is under the ash tray. pull it out and it's there in the console.
Here's a link to twinturbo's crossfire primer.
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/twinnie/system.html

The injectors are fired directly from the ECM interface, so something is going on with the pulse width modulation aspect of the computer. What's causing it is beyond me at this point. Are they pulsing, or just spraying wide open?
If they are spraying, then there's a short to ground on the blue and green wires that go to each injector. Take a test light and put it between the green wire on one injector and blue on the other and ground and check to see if it pulses the light. If the light does not light, then the circuit is closed at the ECM or shorted and the injectors are on all the time.

A common cause of this problem is a faulty CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor)...the one in the front of the intake kinda stuck up under the AIR valve assembly. If that sensor fails then the ECM can be fooled into thinking the engine is cold all the time...and since a cold engine needs lots more fuel than a warm one...the ECM will dump LOADS of fuel into the engine. If the CTS is the original single wire type...make sure to replace it with the updated 2-wire version.

Bill

they are spraying wide open. I heard a loud 3 buzz - clicking (buzz buzz buzz) right before it started to act up at home getting ready to go to the shop. It sounded like it came from around the firewall area but it may be a coincidence

I have an 82. Getting the codes is easy. Take out the ashtray. There is a connector below it with several pins. Get a piece of rigid wire and bend it in a "U" shape. Insert the wire in the two pins closest to the driver side. Turn the key to on. Your check engine light will flash code 12 three times telling you you have accessed the computer memory. code 12 will be 1 flash followed by 2 flashes then a pause and the same code 12 two more times. after the code 12 it will flash the problem memory codes in the same fashion. for example code 22 will be two flashes followed by two flashes then a pause. It will do it three times. when all the codes have flashed it will flash code 12 three more time to tell you its finished. disconnecting the battery or ECM fuse clears the codes. If you have cleared them you will get code 12 6 times meaning nothing is in memory.

The TBI's are suppose to spray hard and even. High idle suggests a vaccum leak of some sort. check around for a disconnected vaccum hose. Tighten down all the bolts on the throttle plate and throttle bodies....they tend to loosen. My guess is a hose...maybe the MAP sensor hose on the rear TBI or the hose that goes to the air cleaner from the same TBI. sometimes the hose that feeds the headlights on the driver side rear of the engine comes loose as well.

Your .527 on the TPS is perfect. If you put the meter on the TPS with the key on and move the TPS lever it should climb steadily up to 4.5 volts.

Jim

cinci5 said:
they are spraying wide open. I heard a loud 3 buzz - clicking (buzz buzz buzz) right before it started to act up at home getting ready to go to the shop. It sounded like it came from around the firewall area but it may be a coincidence

If its cold where you live and start the car after its been sitting you will sometimes hear a buzz from the injectors. Its called a prime pulse. You may not hear it again for the rest of the day.

Jim

CODE

DESCRIPTION

No tach signal to ECM

Oxygen sensor

Coolant sensor circuit voltage low

Coolant sensor circuit voltage high

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

Throttle position sensor voltage high

Throttle position sensor voltage low

Manifold Air temperature high NOT USED

Vehicle speed sensor

Manifold Air temperature low NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

EGR system malfunction

MAF/MAP sensor too high

MAF/MAP sensor too low

Idle speed control error

MAF burnoff problem (BOSH) NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

Interruption signal tach to ECM

EST (Electronic Spark Timing) problem

ESC (Electronic Spark Control) problem/Knock sensor

Lean exhaust condition

Rich exhaust condition

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

Defective/improper installed Prom

CALPAK (MEMCAL) missing

High battery voltage

Low fuelpump voltage

ECM defective

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

NOT USED

MAP too high (2.8L genII only) NOT USED

MAP too low (2.8L genII only) NOT USED

thanks for the get back and the codes . I am going over to the body shop tonight to see if I can get at it (the car). When the injectors sprayed they were hard sprays they filled up the throttle body faster than they they could drain off about 1/4 " raw gas on top of plates when I looked at them before shutting off. I am going to try and start it again only to get codes again as I shut it off and disconnected the battery as I was afraid of paint+gas+spark= boom after I left his shop. I checked all the vacuum lines and the wires.The only other thing I did was clean the IAC motor valves and reinstall them. Maybe I shorted out the ECM ??

Ok went over and started the car it started, filled the place with white smoke but started, it idled down but only to 900. No check engine light. I left it at that hope it stays that way till I get it home and really check it out. Thanks to all

.527 on the TPS is perfect. did you take it up to the full range? while the meter is connected push the TPS tab...it should climb smoothly to about 4.5 volts at full open. Mine goes to about 4.80. If you hit 4.50 or higher prior to full open...say half way it could be your problem.

That is a lot of gas. No way it should be doing that. I wonder if your regulator in the rear TBI is shot.

Then again it could be other things too. I don't think you could have shorted out the ECM...did you do something to it???

Just for the heck of it try pulling the plug off one of the TBI's do you still get a flood of gas??? If you do its obviously not your ECM.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom