Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Technical Question

gsmi837

Corvette
2004 Z-06 Black on Black
Could a slightly rich condition, wash down the cyliners so bad that it thined out the oil to the point that it pounded out the main bearings? Also, what is a good way (with the heads off) to tell if the bearing are wasted? Desparate---I don't trust this shop any longer

gsmi837 said:
Could a slightly rich condition, wash down the cyliners so bad that it thined out the oil to the point that it pounded out the main bearings? Also, what is a good way (with the heads off) to tell if the bearing are wasted? Desparate---I don't trust this shop any longer
you would have to have lot of gasoline in the oil to wipe out the bearings. what was the oil like when it was drained? the rings would suffer more if the walls were washed down

I change the oil myself and it was fine no smell of gas or locking thinned out! I'm really grateful for your responce! He ( the shop) had my AFR heads sent to a machine shop and he says the machine shop says there was a white reado arouund the ex valves and he thought that was indickative of a lean motor! A dirrect counterdicksion to this guy saying it was so rich. When the can and AFR heads where originally installed there was no work done on the processor. Which Chevy's people said woulf cause a slightly rich condition. I'm going to this guys shop I don't know exactly what I should do? Any thoughts?

Why were the heads pulled off in the first place?

Hi there,
That white could also have been the additives in the fuel.
They can give white, red or black residue around exhaust valves.
Not uncommon.
You would have severe scoring in a leaking injector case.
And, a RICH condition, means that there is too much fuel in the cylinder, so a misfire would occur if it had gotten so bad to flush the cylinder walls. Did you loose power???
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom