Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tell me about the Copper Metallic Paint Color on the 1994

It just dawned on me, it was a little over 10 years ago that I last responded to this thread! :L

Time does fly.

B17Crew
:w

Hi Mr Halverson....

I'm not sure the above is not correct. I don't think any 1994 was "sprayed by hand". In fact, I don't think the paint shop in the Bowling Green plant had the ability to paint an entire car by hand. The problem with the copper, was that the partially automated process used back in the late C4 era to apply the base coat/clear coat paint system turned out to be unable to apply the copper metallic paint consistently on all all the panels. GM was not able to solve the problem, so the color was discontinued soon after SOP for MY94.

This has made Copper 94s, especially the few which had reasonably consistent paint quality, highly disireable collector items.

Lastly, I don't think Copper Metallic was "translucent", at least not in the sense of some of the later extra cost exterior colors of the C5 and C6 eras. I'm pretty sure there was a base coat of Copper metallic and then a clear coat.

I have a 1994 Copper Metallic Coupe that I bought in CA. I was told that this color is not a collector and not worth a lot if I decide to sell! Then I started researching it and came across this site. I have just gone over 90K. My paint is great. The past 3 years I have had to use it daily which I regret but I had no choice. I have a couple things that need attention but nothing major. Any ballpark figures that I might think about selling it for? I live in Las Vegas..Thanks...

I have a 1994 Copper Metallic Coupe that I bought in CA. I was told that this color is not a collector and not worth a lot if I decide to sell! Then I started researching it and came across this site. I have just gone over 90K. My paint is great. The past 3 years I have had to use it daily which I regret but I had no choice. I have a couple things that need attention but nothing major. Any ballpark figures that I might think about selling it for? I live in Las Vegas..Thanks...

First, let me say that I am not an expert in what used Corvette prices are doing. It's just a part of the hobby in which I've never had much interest.

That said, I will guess that, because of the rarity of Copper 94s, your car may command a modestly higher price than other C4s of that vintage. On the downside might be the mileage on the car, however, you really didn't offer much additional information such as the specifics of what needs attention and how the car is equipped.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Hi again...

all pictures 485.jpg
First, let me say that I am not an expert in what used Corvette prices are doing. It's just a part of the hobby in which I've never had much interest.

That said, I will guess that, because of the rarity of Copper 94s, your car may command a modestly higher price than other C4s of that vintage. On the downside might be the mileage on the car, however, you really didn't offer much additional information such as the specifics of what needs attention and how the car is equipped.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Is there anyone you can refer me to ...I don't want to bother anyone in the forum...I appreciate your help. My windows leak so I need new rubber...my radio antenna needs to be replaced..it doesn't go up or down, its kinda stuck...but the motor still makes noise and my headlights motors are making noise when they go up and down so I suspect they are on there way out....My husband used to do a lot of the work but he's passed on and I don't have a mechanic anymore as mine moved away! Do you know any in Las Vegas? lol....anyways thanks ..I appreciate your response..btw..I have the only Copper Metallic in Las Vegas...there used to be a convertible around that was sold like 5 times but I haven't seen it in a few years...My tag is 1RARE94....

Last edited:
Well, CopperTopLady, if the engine is making noise, that's not a very good sign and is likely to scrare off buyers unless you've got a super low price on it.

I'm in Goleta CA and don't know of any Corvette service shops in the Vegas Valley. Try a web search using "Corvette Service Las Vegas" as your keywords.

Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Once again, a fair amount of time elapses before I get back here. "Corvette Magazine" hired me to write an article about the Copper Z07 so, last week, I was over to Phoenix to visit "copper_94" to interview he and his Wife and photograph the car.

Look for it in an upcoming issue of "Corvette Magazine".

Corvette Magazine Issue

Hi Hal

Thanks for letting me know about the article.Is the December or January issue? I'll be looking for it...I got the engine noise fixed..turned out to be a serpine belt that was shredded!!! Lucky it wasn't anything serious!! Thanks for your help...she's purring again and sitting on her carpet in the garage....Janis

Hi Hal

Thanks for letting me know about the article.Is the December or January issue? I'll be looking for it...I got the engine noise fixed..turned out to be a serpine belt that was shredded!!! Lucky it wasn't anything serious!! Thanks for your help...she's purring again and sitting on her carpet in the garage....Janis

Well...I'm still working on the article. I will probably run in an early 2016 issue of the magazine. Unfortunatly, I'm just a writer working on-contract for Corvette Magazine and its publishers do not always share with me when the stories run, but I will attempt to find out and report back.

Heck you ought to meet my friend "copper_94 and his Wife halfway between Vegas and Cave Creek AZ...say in Flagstaff and have a big Copper party!
:chuckle

Just don't let the "Coppers" stop you on the way there (or back) for
"pushing the boundaries of the speed limit". :L
Andy

A copper ZR-1

A project I have been working on.

Attachments

• Copper Preview.JPG
    Copper Preview.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 102
they couldn't have made many ZR-1s in Copper...........just the one? Sweet!

Update 1.jpg
they couldn't have made many ZR-1s in Copper...........just the one? Sweet!

Rumor is that one was made but crashed. I have always liked the color, so this is my Copper Metallic ZR-1 creation/tribute car.

Last edited:
Here are some additional photographs of my tribute car.

Attachments

• Update 2.jpg
    Update 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Update 3.jpg
    Update 3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Update 4.jpg
    Update 4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Update 5.jpg
    Update 5.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 85
Sweet! I love it! :thumb

Wow.
Nice work Joe!

You ought get Heinricy to autograph that car somewhere. The rear fascia for the one "real" Copper ZR-1 that was built and then crushed was on his office wall out at Milford for many years.

Wow.
Nice work Joe!

You ought get Heinricy to autograph that car somewhere. The rear fascia for the one "real" Copper ZR-1 that was built and then crushed was on his office wall out at Milford for many years.

Thanks Hib, don't think I haven't thought about that already. :thumb

Late last night I was lying in bed thinking about the one Copper ZR-1 which got crushed.

I remember meeting with Heinricy several times during the mid-90s in his office at Milford and seeing that rear fascia on the wall. Joe, you ought to get in touch with John and ask him about that car. Because he kept the rear fascia–heck, maybe he still has it–he might remember something about why the car could not be sold and was crushed.

That info would make a great story you could write-up and put on a reader board which you could display when you show the "Copper Z Tribute".

Late last night I was lying in bed thinking about the one Copper ZR-1 which got crushed.

I remember meeting with Heinricy several times during the mid-90s in his office at Milford and seeing that rear fascia on the wall. Joe, you ought to get in touch with John and ask him about that car. Because he kept the rear fascia–heck, maybe he still has it–he might remember something about why the car could not be sold and was crushed.

That info would make a great story you could write-up and put on a reader board which you could display when you show the "Copper Z Tribute".

I reached out to him while I was working on this project. I will get a hold of him and see if I can get a photo opportunity with him and the car. Maybe I could talk him out of the original facia. I would love to have it on my wall. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom