Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tell us all where you bought your C3

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Over the last year I've found about 15-20 different bussinesses that sell corvettes (muscle-classic cars).New,used,restored,timecapsules, you name it. Every night I search the best I can to find new listings.

The favor I ask is if you all could post the shops that you bought your cars from and were you happy w/ them.I'm from the Toledo,Ohio area and would like to find those small town vette guys selling classics to the little guys.

I'm very specific what I'm looking for " 68-69 convertable w/427x400 or 435" but may look at a 390hp,and a condition that needs minor to full restoration. And I would like it to be #s matching, I know its hard to varify but I'd like the block stamp to match the VIN.

Thanks all for sharing your sellers location.. Jim

Great...I thought I was in the C3 section when I posted this thread. Sorry

Great...I thought I was in the C3 section when I posted this thread. Sorry

;) Bob will come along and move in no time, I bought all my C3's from private parties. Two from Ebay' the 76 was local; since I do my own work condition was not as important to me as it is to you, but both Ebay cars were as advertized. BTW the C5 was an Ebay car also, but I looked at it before bidding.

Good luck in your quest I hope you find one before spring.
Craig sr

Jim

in NJ there is a small dealer called Conte's Corvettes.
Been there a long time and has an excellent reputation. I know of a good number of people that have purchased from him and all have great things to say about his operation. i've been there a number of times and they always seem to represent the cars pretty accurately and fairly and will tell the bad stuff along with the good on each car.
Their prices are fair and reasonable for the cars they sell - not cheap by any means but unlike many dealers he isn't gouging you on price.
He seems to have a lot of NOM cars but also has nice original numbers matching cars too.
Google him for the website and his inventory is listed. He's only about an hour or so away from me so if needed I can help by going to look at a car for you if needed.

Barry

Barry,
How have you been,its been a while. Must say again that your web site is very useful.Used articles several times. Its funny you mension Contes, just last night I found their site,your rite,several nice cars to consider.Also just checked Hemmings,many cars there too.
Great job you did on the 78-L82,
Thank you for the offer to inspect a C3,I may take you up on that.Have you ever heard of a place near you called East Coast Corvettes LLC?
They have a 68 w/ a 427x435 NOM for 29K..Been their for atleast 3 months,concidered that one for a while but looking for #s match for resale value.Hopefully the members here can find me more sites to check. Or maybe a member w/ a car forsale themselves..that would be great..

Thanks again for your offer.. Jim

Hi Jim

yeah, been a while. I've been quiet lately plus don't have as much time on my hands as I did the last two years.
The name East Coast Corvettes seems to ring a bell but I really don't know them at all or know where they are. Sorry.

Dare I say "Pro Team"? I see you're from Toledo. They're right in your back yard.

LOTS of cars for sale. Never bought from them. Know all the stories. I've been around a LONG time. :)

Chuck

Jim

in NJ there is a small dealer called Conte's Corvettes.
Been there a long time and has an excellent reputation. I know of a good number of people that have purchased from him and all have great things to say about his operation. i've been there a number of times and they always seem to represent the cars pretty accurately and fairly and will tell the bad stuff along with the good on each car.
Their prices are fair and reasonable for the cars they sell - not cheap by any means but unlike many dealers he isn't gouging you on price.
He seems to have a lot of NOM cars but also has nice original numbers matching cars too.
Google him for the website and his inventory is listed. He's only about an hour or so away from me so if needed I can help by going to look at a car for you if needed.

Barry

I have to agree with Barry that Conte's seems to have the best prices of the dealerships that specialize in older corvettes. I searched the web for several years before I found mine, and I was considering a trip to Conte's right around the time that I got mine. I used to thnk the prices on the Pro-Team cars were a "little" on the high side, but now I only look at their wedsite if I need a laugh.

Chuck and JJS,
Several years ago when in search of a midyear,I heard that Proteam had a large selection and for a little extra money you were certain of the authenticy.
So w/that in mind, in Jan. of 05,I bought a 67 marlboro maroon 427 tripower coupe from Proteam.Probobly paid 10K more than a private party.The car was'nt perfect but at 6ft it looks awsome.And they did provide what I feel is the original tank sticker which they said was worth about 15K w/the car.
JJS, just cureous,where on line did you find yours??
Proteams site is great site,I search it weekly, just have'nt found the rite combination yet.Thats the reason for my thread.We have alot of experience in this forum that covers alot of ground,and who knows-maybe I'll get lucky and get a good lead.. Thanks for posting.. Jim

Chuck and JJS,
Several years ago when in search of a midyear,I heard that Proteam had a large selection and for a little extra money you were certain of the authenticy.
So w/that in mind, in Jan. of 05,I bought a 67 marlboro maroon 427 tripower coupe from Proteam.Probobly paid 10K more than a private party.The car was'nt perfect but at 6ft it looks awsome.And they did provide what I feel is the original tank sticker which they said was worth about 15K w/the car.
JJS, just cureous,where on line did you find yours??
Proteams site is great site,I search it weekly, just have'nt found the rite combination yet.Thats the reason for my thread.We have alot of experience in this forum that covers alot of ground,and who knows-maybe I'll get lucky and get a good lead.. Thanks for posting.. Jim

Jim,
I found mine online on Ebay. Actually, a co-worker, and a real car buff found it for me. I worked in the semiconductor industry (recently laid off), and the lab I took care of had several workstations. I always had pictures of old vettes pulled up on the screens, and every engineer in the place knew I loved vettes, and that I was looking to buy.

One day one of the engineers told me about a C3 he found on Ebay, and that it was the perfect car for me. He told me that just about every day, so my response was yeah, yeah, yeah. Then he pulled up the site, and my jaw nearly hit the floor. That was the car. He knew I wanted either a 427, or an LT-1, and this was the most beautiful LT-1 I had ever seen. It had undergone a complete frame-off resto, and the price was more than right!

The thing is, I used to bust this guys chops about buying cars online, sight unseen. He went through cars like most people go through toilet paper, and he had made (and still does) several purchases off Ebay. I was extremely hesitant about making a purchase like this, but I finally pulled the trigger when my wife urged me to do it.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything sight unseen, but if you do your homework you'll improve you chances of not getting ripped. I spoke with the seller several times before making the purchase, and I checked with the local Better Business Bureau, etc before making the deal He was a REALLY nice guy, and provided me with a ton of information both before and after the sale. The car came BETTER than advertised!

I'll tell you though I nearly had an ulcer right up until the day the guy at the transport station called to tell me that the car was here, and said "dude, this is the nicest vette I've ever seen!" This guy was hysterical, and that statement was a HUGE relief. I don't know how many times in the couple of weeks prior to the car arriving that I was jumpiing on a plane out to Oregon!

Here's a pic:

101_0104.jpg

John,
I bought my 04 Z06 the same way.
I've always been leery about buying from e-bay,my car came from Chicago area,seller was very nice guy,provided lots of info. and basically allowed me to take delivery of the car before any money changed hands. Car only had 1800 miles so it had to be like new.Which it was everything he said it would be.
When I was at Proteam about 6 months ago a guy was in there buying a 1970 red LT1 convert, beautiful car as is yours..

That Z16 of yours is a real beauty! I'd love to own one, and hopefully some day I will. I wouldn't be able to keep both, so the LT-1 would have to go. I have a feeling I'll be driving a low mileage, late model corvette within the next couple of years.

Glad to hear you also had a good experience on Ebay. The guy I bought mine from (he only owned it for a month - he maintained it for the previous owner who had to sell when he got laid off from Freightliner), and the guy he purchased it from were both very helpful, and answered a lot of questions about the history of the car, and its restoration.

If anyone is going to buy sight unseen, I'd suggest having the car inspected by a local dealership, or someone from a local car club. I'd also try to find out as much about the seller as possible.

I bet that red vert was really nice. The convertibles are extremely rare.

I was looking for a "mint" C3 back in '91 to replace a '70 convertible that was going to cost waaaay more to cherry out then just finding a gem to begin with.
I'd visit Howard's in Sioux Falls, SD when in the area on business and he and I were on the same page for what mint meant!
He called one day and a week later I was looking at it. Wow...I loved it, but it was a grand or so more then I wanted to pay. After another month of looking at over-priced beat up Vettes, I pulled the trigger and I still have it 16 yrs later!
JU
vetter.jpg

I found my car on Ebay; it was located on Connecticut so I was able to make a trip (3 in total) to look the car over before making the purchase. I think I might have paid a liitle too much for the car but, since I have no plans to sell it anytime soon, I don't mind so much.

PS: This is from the Kerbeck "Toys For Tot's" run and that's my black '69 in the front.

John,
Boy that car sure has a great shine to it. I tried finding Howards on line,but was unsuccessful. Are they still in bussiness?

Howard moved to Mesa, AZ ten+ years ago. I stopped to visit last spring. He's not into retailing Vettes as much as servicing and doing appraisals for would be buyers. He has a phone listing in the business section but word of mouth keeps his line ringing vs web sites or yellow pages.
JU

Bought my C3 from a private owner from Chicago. Was a bit nervous since I bought it sight unseen. I did have an inspection company look at it for me and everything the owner said about the car was quite accurate!! Love the car...cant beat a BB 4 speed C3!!

Anthony

Found mine in a swap shop magazine we have here called Uncle Henry's and it was only located about 50 miles away so I drove down to look at it. Did that about three times, he had it stored in an old warehouse a few miles from his house and each time we had to go back to the warehouse so I could look again. He was in the process of buying an airplane and I guess after a while he got tired of me calling and coming down so he accepted my offer. That was in 2000 and I love the car. Had a 76 coupe for 13 years before that.

I'll get some pictures up one of these days. I have the interior all out of it and just about ready to put new back in. Also had to repair the windshield frame that had rusted.

Craigs list baby!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom