Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Temperature gauge needle goes all the way to the right when lights are turned on.

gaC5

Corvette
1978 Silver Ann. 2014 Red Stingray
On my 78 when I turn my lights on the light goes out on the temp. gauge and the needle goes all the way to the right.

On my 78 when I turn my lights on the light goes out on the temp. gauge and the needle goes all the way to the right.
You have a high resistance or non-existent ground in the car somewhere!:thumb
Anything acting goofy besides the gauge light and the gauge?

Like junkie said, bad ground at the gauge......

No. Just the temp. gauge.

Then pull the center gauge cluster and find it. There is a bad connection there somewhere!:thumb

Then pull the center gauge cluster and find it. There is a bad connection there somewhere!:thumb

it does not sound like it is the center connector, but I would start there and make sure the connector is well seated. Then to the temperature gage. Check the connections by loosening them and retighting them taking care not to over tighten them. Check to see if that corrected the problem. Good luck.

I'd check the printed circuit very carefully. Pay particular attention to the "ears" at the end of traces where they contact the main connector. A study of the printed circuit diagram makes me suspect that if the top two "ears" on the side where you see the 2nd wire down heading directly to owest terminal of the temperature gauge are touching that it would do exactly what you experience. Also check the traces very carefully in the region of the temperature gauge as those printed circuits are known for delaminating. When that happens traces can touch one another.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom