Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Testing C3 Voltage Regulators

Several years ago I made an ohm check of a new aftermarket C3 voltage regulator to show you the ohm values. Since then I discovered an AC Delco regulator has double the values but when you check a voltage regulator and find any of the values are ZERO (open) it's shot. I suggest you copy this picture and keep it in your files for future reference.

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette Voltage Regulator Specifications.jpg
    1971 Corvette Voltage Regulator Specifications.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 76
Not sure how good this chart really is, as there are polarity sensitive components and other components which can fail without effecting those results in the regulator.

A "quick and dirty" test is turning your key ON and see if the rear alternator bearing has become highly magnetized. If so your voltage regulator is working because the rotor has become energized but it doesn't tell you if your voltage regulator is able to correctly adjust the output voltage. When working correctly it should limit the output voltage from 13.8 to 14.2 volts but that can vary a few tenths.

A "quick and dirty" test is turning your key ON and see if the rear alternator bearing has become highly magnetized. If so your voltage regulator is working because the rotor has become energized but it doesn't tell you if your voltage regulator is able to correctly adjust the output voltage. When working correctly it should limit the output voltage from 13.8 to 14.2 volts but that can vary a few tenths.
How would you know this using an amp meter?

I have always preferred ammeters because they tell me how many amps my alternator is putting out.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom