Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Testing Theft Deterrent Control Module

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
I know what the theft deterrent control module is supposed to do....inerrupt the starter...just have not ever had it do this. So I am wondering if it works.....so what is the best method to see if it works or not?

Is it as simple as locking a door with a key...waiting a few minutes....then unlock the door from the inside....and then try to start the engine?....or is there really a better method?

Thanks

Your alarm(horn) should be sounding as well as disabling the starter circuit.
The method you described,is the only way I know to test it.
You should use the drivers side door

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

how about just leaving the window down and lock/arm the car. then just reach in and open the door to begin your test.

I have tried locking the door with the window down and then reaching inside and unlocking the door....horn never sounded....and engine started when I got in and tried it.

How long does the system interrupt the starter?

Is there any indication that the system is armed?

I will admit that I have not read-up on this in the manual.....do not have it at work....which is a good thing......

Lanny,did you use the power locks or just push the button. down????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My car does not have power locks, so what I did was like shark454 wrote.....left the window down, locked door passenger side door by pushing button in, then locked driver's door using key. Waited about a minute and then reached in and unlocked driver's door by pulling button out....got in, put key in ignition, turned key and starter turned over. This tells me that the system is not working.

I did read the manual this morning and there are steps to follow which it looks like I need to do to find out what component is not working.
Maybe it will be just dirty contacts.....I can always hope right.....

Is the module connected to the wiring harness? Mine was disconnected when I had it, when reassembling the car I forgot is was disconnected and connected it like it should. Then the alarm was kicking in almost at random (when getting in the car and wanting to leave). So I disconnected it again and problem fixed. Without the module connected you can still start the car etc etc.

Look behind the drivers seat in the box and see if the module is connected :)

Greetings Peter

I don't mean to steal the tread but did all 81s come from the factory with the alarm? Tim

Yes,the alarms were from the factory...

I have not "looked" into the battery box since I replaced the ECM about 11 years ago, right after I first got the car. So you may be correct in that the module is not even there or is disconnected. I do not remember seeing anything disconnected when I R&R the ECM...but then again...everything was new to me at the time.

I will check this weekend...putting a new starter in this weekend...got tired of the starter not working when hot.....so I will look for the module then. Again may be I will get lucky and it is just dirty contacts.

The module is not in the ECM box but in the other one behind the passenger seat. :)

Greetings Peter

Yep...the module is behind the passenger seat....I knew that....but since the area under the two doors is not separated.....

Checked the module and it is there and connected. I tried twice more to get the alarm to go off, but nothing. Ran out of weekend before I do anything else as far as troubleshooting. So this goes onto my list of things to look at.

I tested a 82 alarm with a friend, same problem. So you're not the only one with this problem.
Good luck!

Greetings Peter

As far as the Theft Deterrent Control Module itself....since I have not taken the one in the car out yet....what is it comprised of? Does it just have a few transistors, resistors, etc....or is there an ICs involved? Just thinking ahead with regards to fixing it, if broken.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom