Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thanks to Edelbrock and the EFI depatment

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I am back in the hunt again! This is one reason why I choose to do business with Edebrock instead of any other lesser known company for my EFI conversion. After spending some quality time with them on the phone last Friday when I realized there was something wrong with the fuel pump circuit, the tech Doug, suggested I send the computer back and they would get another one out.

Well, the replacment computer was on the front porch today. I went out after work and plugged it in. So far so good, it triggered the fuel pump for a blitz second when I just turned the key on, and the pump goes off when I turn the key off.

So, there was some kind of a short in the other computer. Can you guys believe that customer service? That is awesome.

I left a nice thank you voice mail with Doug just a few minutes ago.

Okay, this weekend I plan on not only finishing off the break in period, but maybe going around the block nice and slow!

Awesome man! Maybe you could drive it to our show on Saturday! Or trailor it...hehe :)

Edelbrock Tour

Funny you should bring this up Chris, I just received an e-mail from the wife of Southwest Corvettes founder, Carlos Vivas and it looks like wer're going to tour their (Edelbrock's) facilities again on June 8.

Hi Ken, we have set up a tour of the Edelbrock private museum and plant for Saturday June 8th. I must have reservations in advance as they have a limited number of spaces. The tour is leaving from C&S Corvettes in Torrance at 9:30 am...

Invite other Corvette friends. I am sending flyers to other clubs, but I must have reservations in advance. They can call me at 310-325-6367 AFTER 4 pm.

Thanks, Sherry Vivas

Carlos and Sherry run C&S Restorations out of Torrance, CA. They specialize in solid axle Corvettes and the mid-year Sting Rays. He does great work, you may have seen some of it at NCRS events. :upthumbs

I'm looking forward to my second tour of this place. :D

_ken :w

Chris,
You and I gotta talk by phone soon. I think I am going to break down and get the Edelbrock kit for the '73. She has started givin me fits starting and I cant figure out why. Plan to wrench on her a bit this weekend to try to find it some more. I think its my worn our Q-Jet. Interesting thing is I have picked up a low level "whump" from the exhaust after I shut it down and she has started backfiring through the carb. Burnt the Edelbrock foam element clean up. I'm tired enough to just get the Edelbrock unit.

On another note, I just looked at your site. Man, you have got to be the luckiest cuss I know. 3 Vettes and a wife that loves 'em and can drive. Would you just send Nikki up to do some brain washing on my wife. I'd pay!

Pushed, yes pushed, my '72 Cheyenne out of the garage today to make room for a new Yukon Denali I just bought. Wife said I couldnt put exhaust on it though. She thinks the Vette is loud enough. Got to figure out what to do with the '72. I have no room.

Did I see a street rod in the garage next to the '69 parts? If so, I may just shoot myself!!!!!:r

Hijinx said:
Chris,
You and I gotta talk by phone soon. I think I am going to break down and get the Edelbrock kit for the '73. She has started givin me fits starting and I cant figure out why.

On another note, I just looked at your site. Man, you have got to be the luckiest cuss I know. 3 Vettes and a wife that loves 'em and can drive. Would you just send Nikki up to do some brain washing on my wife. I'd pay!

Pushed, yes pushed, my '72 Cheyenne out of the garage today to make room for a new Yukon Denali I just bought. Wife said I couldnt put exhaust on it though. She thinks the Vette is loud enough. Got to figure out what to do with the '72. I have no room.

Did I see a street rod in the garage next to the '69 parts? If so, I may just shoot myself!!!!!:r

I did have one really good experience with this fuel injection system and the old computer. It was so cool the very first time I started the engine. The starter spun it over twice, dead cold, zero adjustments, etc. etc. and Vrooooooom!

I have great expectations from the entire fuel injection system. Of the systems out there, this was one of the few that did not require a lap top computer to adjust as it comes with its own calibration unit. That saves time and money.

That 72 Cheyenne is a classic. You need to hang on to that puppy. My buddy is hoping to get a Denali soon. What a schweeet ride. The Denali package is so well planned out and strikes such a nice balance on the body lines and trim package.

Hey, when Nikki met me back in 1990 I was yanking wrenches on my 85 Vette. I was in the middle of putting the first engine transplant in that car, and our first couple of dates amounted to going around town and crushing the local Mustang population. She knew what she was getting into from the start. Trust me though, now that the "kid" thing is in the future plans, the local wrenching will slow down somewhat. In fact, I am on some sort of a schedule to get this 69 finished and stop the monthly damage to the bank account soon.

Yes, you saw a 1936 Ford that I was installing a 1995 LT-1 from a trans am. Every once in a while I take on some little side jobs to keep the bank account alive. That was a fun project, and the extra money paid for the Vette Brakes and Products performance plus suspension and a few other odds and ends.

Maybe we will hook up at Shark Fest this August/September. Bring your wife, and we will let Nikki do her best brainwashing technique!

I will be holding on to the Cheyenne. It will actually be my son's first vehicle (with the strict knowledge that he has to give it back to me when he gets his first new car)!

What was the model number of the Edelbrock unit you bought? I want to look into it further.

It would be great to hook up at Sharkfest. As for my wife tagging along???? Well, I doubt it. Hey, she knew what she was gettin into as well. I had a 72 Buick GSX when we got married and I have had a running contengent of vehicles ever since.

The Denali was not cheap, I hate to admit, but it was worth it. Man, it drives and rides great. I had them pull the 285/60R18's on Sport Metal Revolver wheels off my Silverado when I traded it and put them on the Denali. It really looks great with that huge meat under the fenders. The back could be lower, it has a heavy back to front rake. And I sure would like to get the Escalade gauges to swap out. But I got told that I had to leave it alone. Aw, hell, give it a few months and she will never notice the changes!!!!:D

I am running the Pro-Flo Multi-Point EFI system. There are diferent part numbers for big and small block.

Zwede here is running the Holley system and seems to really like the extra flexibility of working with his laptop computer in conjunction with the system.

There is a great write up in the most recent Car Craft of EFI systems. They list info on Edelbrock, Holley/Accel, etc. etc.

You might want to check that out.

In then end, by the time you figure you are getting:
Intake,
EFI throttle body
Fuel Rails
Fuel Pump
Wire harness
Ignition ampliphier and pick up
computer
tuner unit

It is not a bad deal. Just a good quality intake, carb, fuel pump, fuel lines, adustable distributor unit, and tuning tools would cost quite a bit as well, and you still just have a carb.

The Pro Flo is best used with a HEI distributor. The cool thing is you can get any large bodied unit even if it is a late 70s, through 80's ESC unit because all you use is the housing, rotor button, and shaft, and large cap/coil unit. The guts come out and the Edelbrock pick up goes in. Then, the timing is all set and adjusted through the computer.

If you have an old mechanical tach drive, that is okay as well. You just have to make a basic mod to the pick up to fit the small body distributor housing, toss out the points and vacuum advance (if you have it) and you can still run the old housing and mechanical drive tach.

I fired it back up last night for about 10 minutes. I still have so much work ahead of me, but I just had to hear it run for a bit to get my juices flowing a little.

Chris,

That's got to sound sweet, I'm looking forward to checking it out at the Fest too.
You might as well just leave it running , you know everybody's going to ask you to start it anyway's. LOL

Rick

I spoke to the Edelbrock tech guys several times when I was buying the bits`n`pieces for my car and found them to be very helpfull. During my visit last year their trailer was at a couple of shows I visited and they were very friendly. I was impressed with the set up in that they didn`t sell any parts from the trailer, they were only there to talk to their buying public, hand out catalogs, flyers and sell the odd t-shirt.

It`s a pity I didn`t find out until to late that they were only round the corner from where I was staying, I would have liked to have visited the factory and had a look at the car collection.

J.

Ahhhhhhhh, had to hook the battery off and light it up one time before dinner tonight!

I can't get enough of that sound. So far I have driving it back and forth in and out of the shop 15' each way about 20 times!

:t Go ahead, tease me! :t

Mine is still sitting in it's cradle, complete, but I'm still waiting on an opening in the installer's shop so I can get it in! :cry

I heard it spin over, but that's about it. I told Will that you'd me beat to the punch and that you'd get yours fired first. I was right I guess. :(

I'll betcha you're having a difficult time restraining yourself. :L

_ken :w

he,he,he........I just went out after we ate and fired her up one last time for the night. You know, had to make sure the battery was still charged!!!!!!!

69Crazy from here on CAC is down from Oregon and I will meet him on Sunday. Looking forward to kicking back and telling crazy Vette stories. I also plan on cranking the monster for giggles and grins!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad Ken. You started your project after mine. I have had this on the drawing board now for basically two years!

Oh, I did manage to get the 90 miniram project turned around in about a month!:booty

BTW,

Do you guys remember Steve Kamis and the Merlin Project Insane Asylum Corvette?

Believe it or not, he fired his car for the first time this last Friday as well. Is that weird or what? Albeit, that my car is a far cry from his machine, we have been keeping tabs with each other and moving along the way. Who would have thought?

Plus, you can download his engine starting here:

Sound File

Video Clip

The video clip will take a while to load. Get it started, then go get a sandwich, then come back and drool all over yourself. This thing is like 2,000 hsp screaming out of his custom shark!

WOW

That thing is a monster, Thanks for the link.

It was worth the wait of the download, even for a country boy with dial-up !!

BTW do you know what year the Vette is?

RalleyRed: Steve's monster is 1974.

69MyWay: I have a question 4 you about the fuel supply. My engine is gonna be dynoed week from now Sunday, just the engine that is. Then I'm planning to put it finally back on the frame and start working on the clutch install and trying to figure out the transmission install as well.
Ok, got bit of the line there, now where did you mount you fuel pump that came with the EFI? How did you do it? Was it hard job to do? Did you take any pics?

TIA, Jay

Here is a pic of the fuel pump mount. It is mounted on the rear cross memeber between the sway bar and the crossmember.

With EFI and an external pump, you want the pump to be lower than the tank, and or the lowest part of the whole system. You want the suck line coming from the tank to be as short as possible as it is not under pressure, but has to supply the volume the pump is sucking.

Edelbrock supplied everything. They also suggest putting the filter as close to the pump as possible. So, as you can see from my pics they are all in the same basic area. The blue fuel line was supplied from Edelrock as well.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Thanks Chris for your reply, that made everything clear to me, Thanks!!!
Jay

I mounted mine up under the airconditioning evaporator. It works fine, but sure is noisy. I REALLY would like to find an easy way to isolate the noise. It's mounted in rubber lined straps, but the noise transmits through those as well as through the metal fuel lines!

jsimpson said:
I mounted mine up under the airconditioning evaporator. It works fine, but sure is noisy. I REALLY would like to find an easy way to isolate the noise. It's mounted in rubber lined straps, but the noise transmits through those as well as through the metal fuel lines!

I was worried the same thing would happen to me. To my pleasant surprise, my pump is very quiet. It makes no more noise than Nikki's 2000 vette.

I think I read somewhere in Edelbrock's stuff that it is based upon a Volvo design or something.

I think Zwede mounted his on a transmission mount to isolate the vibrations and noise. He has a Holley Commander EFI.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom