Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 2012 Chevrolet Malibu may actually look cool

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster

Ray Wert — The Chevy Malibu plays in the soft underbelly of the automotive marketplace — the boring mid-size segment. With the exception of two cars that at least look moderately attractive — the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima — we wouldn't give any of the segment's middling middle-of-the-road beige-boxes a second look. And an attractively-styled American mid-size? Ha! Don't make me laugh. And laugh I did — until I got this video and a photo of a Camaro-esque taillight teasing the 2012 Chevy Malibu.

Wait, an attractive Malibu? Maybe. Decide for yourself.
If you're buying in today's mid-size segment, you've already pretty much surrendered any pretense of owning an enthusiast vehicle. But the least an automaker can do is make their cars look attractive. It's working for Hyundai and Kia.

God, I shouldn't even be running anything on a car like this — but I can't help it. I want to hope that a mid-size 'merican car can at least look cool. I know that I'll likely just see General Motors dash my hopes with a dose of reality when the real deal's unveiled on April 20th, but dammit, can't a man hope?

Jalopnik

No, It doesn't .

Just once I would love to click on to a thread in the " GM and Auto Industry News " and actually like something posted here. Based on the youtube link here, a rotating halogram, I dont see anything that makes this car anything else but newly boring with a side of Camaro taillights.

Reading threads under the GM news is like watching your sister slowly become a crack whore. Come 'on GM, WTF ?

Gimme something to praise here.

:ugh

Just once I would love to click on to a thread in the " GM and Auto Industry News " and actually like something posted here. Based on the youtube link here, a rotating halogram, I dont see anything that makes this car anything else but newly boring with a side of Camaro taillights.

Reading threads under the GM news is like watching your sister slowly become a crack whore. Come 'on GM, WTF ?

Gimme something to praise here.

:ugh

You mean it might not be a smokin', cutting edge, exciting design like the Camry - the best selling car in America? A great looking car hasn't been the best seller here since..........the Cutlas Supreme?

GM should not be striving to be mediocre. The Cutlass was a beautiful car in its day. No wonder it sold well.

Actually this is the Best Selling Car in America, and it is still cooler than a Camry.

YouTube - Little Tikes Cozy Coupe

All things considered !

I don't know where you get this is boring, but for a Company that was a few days away from a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, I think the Malibu is a great car priced right to make it a automotive stable. Is it a rocket, No Is it a nice package to own and live with Yes !

Just cause you don't like it, well that's your right. I think what your looking for is the ZL1 Camaro package. Personally I didn't like the current Camaro, but after sitting in one and to see all the optional packages available I'd say the Camaro is a great car for $35K you can get the SS and a lot of performance and still not wander too close to $40K.

But if your going to compare the Malibu to a BMW or any thing that costs over the $40K grand price, then your looking way past the domestic marketplace and I doubt you'll ever find something "Imported from the USA" that will please you ! :eyerole

The midsize segment is the meat of the market. It's all about volume and price. Toyota has actually made "nondescript" a market objective. The Camry and Corolla are designed to not offend anyone, not to inspire ooohs and aaahs. The Corolla is the best selling model in history, and the Camry is the best seller in the US. I think the new Malibu is better looking than the Toyota, but does it matter?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom