Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 572 is going to see the light

Corvette
63 Resto Coupe-Red 65 Roadster
Can anyone guess what I am playing with this evening .

Stepinwolf

tri-carb1.jpg

Hello Robert
Have you gotten the new motor yet????sorry if I missed something. I have been behind the times a bit lately
take care
Tom
I did not get any pics or much info when I first went to your post...server or my computer is acting up
I like it Robert.....where did the intake come from?

Are three carbs enough to feed that monster? :W

-Mac

Tom:
Nope, this is only the 620 HP version. I had planned to use the 720 on my 63 " Resto-Mod " coupe, but lately I am seriously considering another 620 because of the low compression, and hanging a " ProCharger " on it for a bit more fun.

Mac:
Sadly there is no room for a forth one.

JohnZ:
Sure does, kinda like the one we saw together at the show. Mine however is using the aftermarket carbs from Barry Grant, because of the crazy pricing people are hanging on originals, I couldn't afford the factory setup. I must admit however, this type of build is not a fun thing to have to do with a tall deck. Had to rework the manifold, modify the distributor mounting position, etc. etc.

68Roadster:
As it has been said many times before, the only difference is in the size.

Stepinwolf

Had to rework the manifold, modify the distributor mounting position, etc. etc.Stepinwolf

Are you using the large cap distributor that came with the engine?
How did you "modify the distributor mounting position"?
What other modifications did you make to the manifold?
Charles

Charles

Yes Charles, I was able to keep the original, GM supplied, MSD distributor. For a complete resumé of the necessary mods, check back this evening for the details, and a few pics.

Stepinwolf

The BG carbs look great. I think that a blow through Procharger is just what you need.

Charles

King Ray (photo above in post #5) has a stock GM intake manifold, with Moroso tall-deck spacer plates, machined on the edges to exactly match the contours of the edge of the manifold - unless you really look for it, you don't notice them. Also used an MSD #8547 distributor, which has an adjustable sleeve to set its height (designed for a Donovan tall-deck application). Also needed to change the oil pan, as the 572 comes with a truck pan - the sump at the front is too deep; used a Milodon pan instead. Stainless Works custom-made the headers. :)

Charles

Charles:

The crap started about a year ago when I first ordered some of the parts for the build. At that time I did not check the contents of my " Summit " order close enough and there had been an error in my order. I had ordered a set " Moroso " spacers for the tall deck, but this week when I opened the package, I was surprised to find one spacer for a rectangle port, and the second for a oval port. They also had not included the front and rear aluminum inserts that go across the lifter valley.

I spent quite some time modifying the oval port spacer in order to make it fit the square port of the head. Then I had to fab both end spacers from 1/2" aluminum block which was not the easiest thing to cut out, since I don't own any machine shop equipment.

Then when fitting the distributor, I noticed that the height of the new BG manifold, along with the manifold spacer, would oblige me to sink the distributor no less then 5/8" of an inch lower into the block. The next bump in the road was the fixed collar on the MSD distributor. I had to grind off the factory collar, and then make an adjustable collar from thick aluminum stock.

As if things were not going bad enough, the extra width of my homemade collar made it impossible to fit into the cutout of the distributor in the manifold. Once again out come the cutting tools, and after clearing away the offensive casting, I was finally able to set the distributor to the proper height.

Before I was through, I also had to clear away some metal from the inside of the hole in the manifold where the distributor shaft is inserted. Since it is mounted at a slight angle, the difference in height in relation to the original manifold angle cause an interference when inserting the shaft into the hole.

However I am satisfied with the work that was done, since it now all goes together as if it was factory.

As for using the original large cap distributor, in the first photo you can see that although it is a tight fit, the necessary clearance is there. You can turn the distributor one way or the other, and there is no contact what so ever with the carb or manifold itself. I have not yet tried to install the air cleaner so it might be an issue later on, but I will deal with it when it comes up.

JohnZ:

I also replaced the pan along with the windage tray, filter and pickup since the factory pan was not giving me the necessary road clearance I needed.

Stepinwolf

man1.jpg

man2.jpg

man3.jpg

man4.jpg

Oupps, my nistake

So that there is no confusion regarding one of my statements in the above post, please note that the distributor is not actually mounted lower in the block.

It is only mounted lower in the new " Barry Grant " manifold as compared to the previous factory manifold that was supplied with the engine, du in part to the tall deck spacers, and different casting.

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom