Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 75 is almost legal!

White75

Corvette
'75 L48 Auto White, '78 L82 4-spd SA
I am one step further in getting the vette on the road legally (hasn't really stopped me from driving it through the neighborhood). It passed inspection!!
OK, here's the synopsis.
1. Last year, tried to get the car inpected, brakes were not sufficient. Fix: replace all calipers, lines, power booster, and master cylinder. (check my older posts for this fiasco).
2. Took it back to the place to get it reinspected. Fail again, parking brake wouldn't hold. :hb
3. Noticed a fuel leak a few weeks ago. Wonderful. Dropped the tank to discover that the 2 rubber lines were shot. $5 for new lines and an afternoon busting knuckles got them replaced and the tank back up. Result: No leaks!!!
4. Took car to get inspected at another shop that specializes in classics (hoping to get a break there especially since the PB issue wasn't resolved). Found a burned out license plate light which they replaced for me and passed inspection!!
5. Next step is to transfer title to us (was father in law's before he passed away) and get it registered this week.

The first official drive is already planned. Going to make a Sonic run and then go out to the airport and plane watch with the T-tops off!

Spent yesterday, replacing the oil and filter, and the sparkplugs which only 1 came out of the block unscathed. They hadn't been replaced in years and were thoroughly rusted on. Most of the ceramic broke off and managed to break a Craftsman socket busting them loose. My hands and arms are all torn up but none of that mattered to me once I got to take it out on a quick lap of the neighborhood to check everything out.

No matter how frustrated I get at the car, driving it just makes it all go away once the work is done :)

Soon to be on the road!

Wonderful to hear you'll be on the road soon. I totally agree with that last statement. No matter how ****ed off I get, tools I destroy, or names I may use everything is all better once I drive her with the tops off and the exhaust playing. Good times!!!

White75,
Remember...the more bloody your hands are the more fun you're having!!!
Regards,
Alan

White75,
Remember...the more bloody your hands are the more fun you're having!!!
Regards,
Alan
Then I had a blast. Looks like a pitbull gnawed on my hands. plus bruises from laying on the concrete and sometimes on an errant tool as well as the usual banging around on greasy suspension pieces.
I wear them all proudly, along with the black muck under my fingernails and embedded in the creases and pores in my skin.

White 75,
You have to keep a good attitude, otherwise what we do is pretty stupid. I mostly have scars on the back of my hands from trying to reach into places my hands don't fit. Carry On.
Regards,
Alan

Good luck!

What is the big deal with the E brake anyway? I could see if you had a manual but for an automatic??? If I park on a hill I could just turn the wheel. And of course cause I never use the parking brake on any of my cars and I guess they don't work so great when its inspection time. Last time I got the vette inspected I just told him not to bother touching the E brake as the prior owner told me it got stuck last time someone did that. I suspect he didn't touch it as I passed the inspection.

Good luck!

What is the big deal with the E brake anyway? I could see if you had a manual but for an automatic??? If I park on a hill I could just turn the wheel. And of course cause I never use the parking brake on any of my cars and I guess they don't work so great when its inspection time. Last time I got the vette inspected I just told him not to bother touching the E brake as the prior owner told me it got stuck last time someone did that. I suspect he didn't touch it as I passed the inspection.
i hear you guys / girls talk about getting your car inspected why did you need to get them inspected ..is there a law in your state that says so just asking...;shrug

I am one step further in getting the vette on the road legally (hasn't really stopped me from driving it through the neighborhood). It passed inspection!!
....Soon to be on the road!
Would have been much easier to just register it as an antique (no inspection), then work on it at your leasure and when done change the registration to regular and get it inspected.

tom...

Good luck!

What is the big deal with the E brake anyway?
Yeah, really. I don't have one on my car! The only remaining parts of my e-brake is the handle inside the car. Ain't nuthin' under the car! hahaha :L

White75, welcome to the busted knuckles club!

Would have been much easier to just register it as an antique (no inspection), then work on it at your leasure and when done change the registration to regular and get it inspected.

tom...
I'm getting it registered as an antique (with the old plates which do not require show-only use) but coming from out of state they required an initial inspection. Once that is done, I don't think a yearly inspection is necessary.

chevy6675, TX requires a yearly inspection for most cars. for the older cars it's a safety inspection (brakes, lights, wipers, etc).

I'm getting it registered as an antique (with the old plates which do not require show-only use) but coming from out of state they required an initial inspection. Once that is done, I don't think a yearly inspection is necessary.
Must have changed the rules. I bought my '73 out of state, brought it to TX and immediatly registered it as an antique with out any inspection.

Must have changed the rules. I bought my '73 out of state, brought it to TX and immediatly registered it as an antique with out any inspection.
hey tom nice site on 73 vette

Picture saved :)
I believe that the Busted Knuckle franchise or whatever is now owned by Summit Racing. Or they at least sell B.K. items within their Genuine HotRod division. LINK

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom