Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The adopted child

ChildishEgg

I like to think of the Corvette C8 as the Corvette family’s adopted child. It doesn’t look like a Corvette, it unfortunately doesn’t sound like a Corvette, it doesn’t have a front engine, but it still has the Corvette name. The C8 is nice don’t get me wrong but it’s just not the same as the others, it doesn’t have that spark to it like the other ones do. Anyone else feel the same?

5C92EBD6-1534-4D7C-A0D9-3AB3561C1E84.jpeg

BAE68023-EADD-4113-B41F-5D3FF5B8DCA2.jpeg

if you get the opportunity take one out for a spirited scoot, you’ll know why Zora pushed for mid-engine Corvette’s decades ago! 😎

Compare the C1/C2 to the C3, are they the same? How about the C3 and the C4, same? C4 and the C5? The C5 through the C7 sort of got stuck in a style rut and superficially resembled each other. The C8 breaks out again although the styling team went out of their way to echo many of the earlier trim features.

Moving the engine aft was Zora's unfinished life work. I have no experience with earlier models, but the C8 is the nicest handling car I have ever had the pleasure of driving. It may not sound the same as a C7, but it definitely still has a fine V8 growl.

Compare the C1/C2 to the C3, are they the same? How about the C3 and the C4, same? C4 and the C5? The C5 through the C7 sort of got stuck in a style rut and superficially resembled each other. The C8 breaks out again although the styling team went out of their way to echo many of the earlier trim features.

Moving the engine aft was Zora's unfinished life work. I have no experience with earlier models, but the C8 is the nicest handling car I have ever had the pleasure of driving. It may not sound the same as a C7, but it definitely still has a fine V8 growl.
It sounds more like a Ferrari than a Corvette :/ I like the C8 don’t get me wrong, but I would rather own a C7 or a C5. That unique muscle car, super car engine sound sounds so nice. The C8 lacks that.

It's called progress.....part of the evolutionary process. I'll say that my LS2 has similar sound to my old 350 that was in my 64 coupe (NOM), but not the same. As stated earlier, if Zora would have had his way, the mid-engine Corvette would have been brought out in the 1960s, but GM higher-ups put the shnitchel to it time and time again. My first recollection of a 'Mid-engine Corvette" was in the late 1960s. The mid-engine design has been worked on, revised and perfected over 50+ years.

Does it look like previous Corvettes? Not really, but Chevy has kept enough of the previous features to identify it as a younger sibling. Kudos to Chevrolet for finally bringing Zoras' vision to fruition. I think Zora would approve.

I like to think of the Corvette C8 as the Corvette family’s adopted child. It doesn’t look like a Corvette, it unfortunately doesn’t sound like a Corvette, it doesn’t have a front engine, but it still has the Corvette name. The C8 is nice don’t get me wrong but it’s just not the same as the others, it doesn’t have that spark to it like the other ones do. Anyone else feel the same?
Having owned and raced several mid-engine cars in the 70's I was blown away with the c8 and now with the z06 on the horizon, I couldn't be happier with the thought of owning that car.

I've always thought of mine to be an 'American Ferrari' but with a Kentuckian accent. Now...they've seemed to out Ferrari'ed Ferrari. I can't wait to drive one. Maybe even own one...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom