Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! The Bad News Saga, Part II or III

Pinky

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Convertible
So I took the Vette to the Stealership 8 am Saturday. They called back about noon, said it needed a wheel bearing (covered by warranty), and that somewhere along the line the wrong differential fluid had been used, so it needed to be replaced with a synthetic (not covered by the warranty, $175 please). Whatever, I know I've never had the differential even looked at before.

I called them back today, an hour later they finally returned my call and said it was done. Rushed to get there at 5:30 since they close at 6:00, gave them the ransom, drove it a mile down the road...and you guessed it...

THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

Of course I turned right back around, but the one service writer there read off the repair list and said "looks like you need a new differential" which was I'm sure a WAG. If so I had better get that $175 back! Not to mention - did they not even take it for a test drive between 2:30 when they told me it was done and 5:30 when I got there? They sure as he## didn't wash it!

:mad:mad:mad

The service manager had the misfortune to send me an email before I picked the car up saying "if you have any problems or questions please contact me at the number below" so guess who is getting a call from a very mad Pinky at 7 am tomorrow.

You go get em!!! Just a thought, if the bearing was under warranty is the diff also covered. If so I would let them have at it and maybe replace it with a 3.15 performance diff. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Also curious if it is the dealer with the BS initials, I'm going to have them do some work in the near future and would be great to have a head up if there is anything shady going on there.

I guess I missed some other thread that explained the problem which was still there.

Obviously, it's something with the drive axle parts but...what exactly are the symptoms? Noise? Chattering...what?

I've heard that line before too!!! Had my fluid changed (3 qts & 2 additives - That's double the req'd qty). Three months later, I start getting the popping noise when I go around curves slow. Take it in, half hour later they call and said all it needed was the fluid changed. I reminded them that they had just changed it! Half hour later - you need a new set of clutch packs @ $1400.00. I'll be right down to pick it up! Added one extra bottle of limited slip additive (as recommended by one of CAC's finest) and no problems in over eight months now. My next step was going to be the "Royal Purple" treatment - as others here have highly recommended it. Hope your's is as easy of a fix as mine.

HI there,
I agree, what was your original concern? If it WAS chatter, check the part number.
It would be suggested to POST what part number they used.
If its NOT 88862426 DEXRON LS, tell them that they used the wrong fluid.
Allthebest, c4c5

Three months later, I start getting the popping noise when I go around curves slow. Take it in, half hour later they call and said all it needed was the fluid changed.

I have not had that problem with either of my 2 Vettes however I bought a Z-28 Camaro in 1977 and after about 900 miles it started doing this. Went through the fluid change process than one of the mechanics told me the best solution was to take the thing out to a parking lot, light up the tires and do tight donuts first one direction then the other way. I did this and the noise stopped. ( It was also a lot of fun.) The mechanic said the clutch pack was too tight, and this would loosen it up a bit. He was correct. I knew others who did the same and it cured their problem also. It wouldn't surprise me if the dealer did this when cars were brought in.

After many years in storage, I finally gave my daughter that Z-28 which had less than 12,000 miles and the interior still smells new.

The trip is short,
enjoy the ride,
Denny

How did they determine the fluid was not synthetic? Did they have a lab analyze it? I have know idea how to tell a synthetic fron a non synthetic. Do they put summer air in the tires as well?!?!?

How did they determine the fluid was not synthetic? Did they have a lab analyze it? I have know idea how to tell a synthetic fron a non synthetic. Do they put summer air in the tires as well?!?!?

Yeah, I was wondering if maybe they had a Taste Tester. :chuckle

Guess what...after reaming out the Service Manager first thing this AM, who no doubt passed on my message, they claim it is fixed. THEY PUT THE NEW BEARING ON THE WRONG SIDE. Holy mother of... :bash I just hope that I have two new bearings now, I guess I'll find out when I pick it up this afternoon. I got a wash job out of it too and about 15 minutes of abject apologies.

To Zag...let's just say it's a North County Coastal Chevrolet-Hummer dealership.;)

Guess what...after reaming out the Service Manager first thing this AM, who no doubt passed on my message, they claim it is fixed. THEY PUT THE NEW BEARING ON THE WRONG SIDE. Holy mother of... :bash I just hope that I have two new bearings now, I guess I'll find out when I pick it up this afternoon. I got a wash job out of it too and about 15 minutes of abject apologies.

To Zag...let's just say it's a North County Coastal Chevrolet-Hummer dealership.;)

I'm glad it is working out! I really hate the BS these dealers sling so many times. It gives the legit buisness's a black eye.

(snip)

Guess what...after reaming out the Service Manager first thing this AM, who no doubt passed on my message, they claim it is fixed. THEY PUT THE NEW BEARING ON THE WRONG SIDE. (snip)

My only further comment would be: don't go back to that dealer.

I guess I'm lucky, cuase I have an EXCELLANT dealership who does the work on my 2003 50th AE. And I had the differential fluid changed sometime last year when the car turned five years old. But I had a 95 Monte Carlo years ago, and to make a long story short the dealership in NJ wasn't helpping me out too much. I called Chevrolet Customer Service at their 800 number and the nice lady who took my call listened to my complaint and I thought she blow me off and say well I'll get back to you, But she said "hold on a minute", and I don't know if she was in Detroit or not, but she called the dealership in NJ and had a BRISK chat with the service manager and when she came back on the line she said Mr. Ward, your car will be done by 9AM, tomorrow morning!. . . IF NOT, Call me at this extension and I'll make sure something happens, period ! It was really nice to have the company stand up and take charge of the situation.

Ironic IMO when they went from 'you need a differential' to 'we put the wheel hub on the wrong side'.
Credit you for pushing and making sure you got what you paid for!!!
You pay for a service, YOU should receive it!!!!
Allthebest, c4c5

AHHHHH....Big Red is back and all is right with the world. That's pretty much the bottom line, eh? :upthumbs

Oh and I also got them to recalibrate the TPMS for free.

Signed,
Happy Ending
:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom