Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

the beast lives!!

Ok, we finally had to replace the turbo oil cooler lines to stop a leak to the left side turbo. no leaks, no runs, no drips. engine sounds strong, however, dave said block learn indicates a lean condition so tomorrow we install new fuel pressure regulator so we can adjust fuel pressure and then i should have it under its own power and moving. i will get pics tomorrow and send out. i want to move it to the house for a detail, before taking it back to the engine shop for dyno work/tests/inspections.

billy

Sounds like you guys are right on top of things!!!!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the runs down the highway :upthumbs

I'm curious as to whether the motor has been put back to stock or as it was prior to the meltdown? My understanding was that the car made around 600hp/800trq at the crank before that person to remain nameless got his hands on it. I think that was according to Stan.

ok guys. she is complete!! will trailer the car home today. begin cleanup of the beast. three years of sitting has its way of making things dirty. i need some ideas on who to insure with. stated value policies? i am also thinking i need the vanity plate. i have found a web site for that in georgia. sure sounds sweet. as soon as i have enough insurance on it, i will take it for a spin. or two.

i am so excited.

Congrats again....

I have stated value policies with State Farm on 3 collector cars, not very expensive but it does require that a appraisal by a licensed appraiser be submitted along with the application.

Good luck.. can't wait to see the pics

-Luigi
:cool

CALLAWAY1988 said:
ok guys. she is complete!! will trailer the car home today. begin cleanup of the beast. three years of sitting has its way of making things dirty. i need some ideas on who to insure with. stated value policies? i am also thinking i need the vanity plate. i have found a web site for that in georgia. sure sounds sweet. as soon as i have enough insurance on it, i will take it for a spin. or two.

i am so excited.

We too are excited to see it heading back on the road :upthumbs

You may want to look into Agreed Value insurance - here is an FAQ list from an insurance company, good stuff!

http://www.hagerty.com/NewsManager/templates/template6.aspx?articleid=59&zoneid=21

ok, you wanted to know. the first thirty miles were so quick i cant wipe the smile of my face. yep, final adjustments to fuel, some tightening up, a new maf and presto, one quick little toy. put the first thirty miles on it tonight after the complete redo of the engine and turbos. to tell you the truth, i dont know when i have road in such a strong car. i did promise all the details but as you can see, i just got in from a late night of work. end of the month and i have moved to another gm dealer to become their service manager. i have all the goodies here on my desk, and if my weekend doesnt get away from me, i will try to start with some details. the resurrection of a fine car is done, now a bath and wax, and some weather cooperation would be nice to get out and enjoy it.

more exciting news is coming........

thanks for all of your encouragement and help.

billy

Awesome news Billy! Congrats on bringing a fine piece of Callaway history back from the edge. Looking forward to the details on the rebuild! Bring her to Carlisle this year. :beer

Awesome news!! Great to hear the car is back on the road! Hope to see you at Carlisle!

Hey Billy - were you out on Saturday? One of my buddies thinks he saw a 'really nice purple Callaway'.

:)

Not Saturday, But, Sunday Afternoon, Evening. Running Up And Down Thornton Road. Powder Springs Area. Giving The Beast Some Mileage Time. Got About Two Hundred On The New Engine Now. Going To Drive To Office In Am Trying To Get Break In Done

CALLAWAY1988 said:
Not Saturday, But, Sunday Afternoon, Evening. Running Up And Down Thornton Road. Powder Springs Area. Giving The Beast Some Mileage Time. Got About Two Hundred On The New Engine Now. Going To Drive To Office In Am Trying To Get Break In Done

Sounds like fun!

Any issues surface with the car after is ressurection??

Also curious, did you rebuild it to the performance specs the engine carried before - it made something like 620hp, as relayed by the previous owner :eek :cool

Enjoy the car - savor the miles, they must be sweet!

*89x2* said:
Also curious, did you rebuild it to the performance specs the engine carried before - it made something like 620hp, as relayed by the previous owner :eek :cool

I agree and asked a while ago. Are you going to give up details of the rebuild or is it a closely guarded secret? :W

No Trade Secrets. Just Today Got Over 400 Miles On The Engine. Maybe Next Week, Back To Builder Who Has Dyno Capability. A Dyno Tune And Testto See What My Toy Has Now. It Is One Fun Car To Drive. Bouncing Around Atlanta Today Was A Hoot. Just Push The Pedal And Watch The Gas Hand Move. I Thought I Would Wait For The Dyno Tests Before Telling The Story Of The Resurrection. You Know, Get My Ducks In A Row.

Got the first five hundred miles on the engine. No time to get back to dyno yet, but, here is some of the scoop. Engine built by Rob and Lamar Walden in Atlanta. Those boys have a rep in the area for fast toys. The original block had enough damage to warrant replacement. So with a new block, we line bored, hones, beaded and decked. Installed a new GM steel crankshaft. A set of new forged turbo pistons thirty over we began by adding h beam aluminum rods. New everything, in the bottom to include performance oil pumps, bolts, double roller gear sets. Contacted lunati for cam specs off of old cam. I dont know for sure what that was, but, what we have is a lunati with .413 intake and .429 exhaust. duration at .050 tappet of 206 in and 214 ex. advertised duration 264degrees in. and 271 exh. balanced the entire bottom engine replaced that stock harmonic balancer with a solid metal piece that cost some three hundred dollars. of course dont forget that expensive new oil pan too. up on the heads got a flow job, a new set of stainless 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhaust valves. a three angle valve job, a new set of roller rockers, 1.5 new springs, seats, and all of the stupid bolts. of course they even shaved the heads some, ported and polished. oh yeah, the bronze inserts along with other goodies. to go on top was some fun. all new fuel rails, all new injectors a call to TPIS for a upgrade from the 52mm plenum to a larger 58 mm ported large tube plenum. also new ported large tube runners, new big mouth manifold and a new 58 mm throttle body. more fuel, more air, more fun!!!! a few other misc. stuff on top to include new dis module, caps, hypo wire sets, tune up stuff, plugs and the likes. a new waterpump, belts, some work on the cooling system. a maf sensor, air filters, fuel cell work, and of course dont forget those pesky little turbos. completely reworked by callaway, two turbos, some additional nuts and bolts that must have been gold plated. hooked this up to a new ram clutch, plate and bearing. lets not forget also the sixty or seventy other misc. sensors, connectors, fasteners, fittings and the likes that make up two pages of parts invoices from a gm dealer. topped off with the good stuff, mobile 1 oil and wallah. we run like a raped ape. special thanks to the men at TOM JUMPER CHEVROLET, who took this basket case and helped put it back together again. some real pros.!!!! i spent most of saturday and sunday beginning a real cleanup of the vehicle. you know, the 3m black magic with high speed buffer, and foam backup pad. she is shining like a new penny. going to do the engine detail this week. so far no major or even minor hiccups. maybe if you let the tank run below half on fuel, you can actually cause the car to stumble because it cannot get enough fuel. that is my hypothesis. havent tested it with a fuel gage while standing on it. may be too busy this week to return to engine shop for breakin dyno run and tune. so i will try to attach a couple of pics for you now. for those who have wandered into this thread, i bought the car for $3700. after it's owner blew it up while racing. yes, that is cheap, but, it did take some additional $15,000. or better to return it to it's glory days. will it put out 620hp again? i dont know yet. i will say it is one super fine and fast car. it still has less than 21,000 miles on it. some of you guys know the car better than i do, but, let's just say, if it was optioned with it, it works. the 4+3 shifting transmission is so sweat. the factory dymag wheels are painted wrong, but, i will probably remedy that this summer. i even did the atlanta am traffic thing. the engine never got over 215 even while sitting on the interstate for almost an hour. might need one or two little weatherstrips along the pillar posts. some dry rot. well, better stop and try this camera thing. getting late for us early risers. ok, as before, i cant get the darn pics down to use here. somebody let me send them to their email, who can find a way to put them in the forum. thanks a bunch. so tell, me, was it worth the wait? i know some of you want to see those dyno charts. me too. until then, maybe i will see some of you guys and girls tooling around the atlanta area. as far as making the show in june, that is still a small possibility. a new job as service manager of a local gm store has me hopping right now, but, who is to say as things get closer.

Daaaang that thing sounds like it outta RUN!. Let us know when you dyno it.

Cool! :cool

Thanks for the detailed update. What are you running for compression? (If it's in there I missed it...)

Looking forward to your dyno report! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom