Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Black Wheel Trend

find me chrome aftermarket wheels that are made of aluminum and I will stand corrected. You might find some.

Also, it's amazing how much heavier come of the cheaper priced chrome wheels are than stock.

Tammy,

I went with chrome C5 Z06 wheels like the one shown below. Once the weather breaks up here I'll get the car outside and get some good pics.
Remo:cool

OHHHHHHHH me LIKEY :BOW

Chrome

Pac-Man,

Below is an example of what GM calls the chrome aluminum wheel available as
an option on the 2007 vettes. My guess is they're actually highly polished
aluminum - not chrome plated. But they offer the "bling" factor that
many Corvette customers are looking for.

On a personal level - I chose "chrome" because it gives silver and gray cars
some glitter that is missing in the overall appearance with those colors. I'm
not particulary worried about the rust issues associated with chrome as the
car lives a very pampered life. I think it's only seen rain twice. In the winter it
lives in a heated air controled garage under. As far as the additional weight -
it's about five pounds per wheel according to my scale. I don't think the
additional twenty pounds is going to make a very big difference in the overall
performance envelope on the street.

chrome_wheel.jpg

20lbs unsprung weight is different than sprung weight but I forget the formula. And you are right about the highly polished GM wheels. It's the aftermarket wheels we where talking about. I don't believe that you can chrome aluminum but I may be wrong. I'm going to do some research and check it out.

20lbs unsprung weight is different than sprung weight but I forget the formula. And you are right about the highly polished GM wheels. It's the aftermarket wheels we where talking about. I don't believe that you can chrome aluminum but I may be wrong. I'm going to do some research and check it out.

http://www.advancedplating.com/services.htm

Plating of Aluminum

Billet aluminum plates the best. Cast aluminum by nature is very porous and has a great deal of pitting. Chrome plating will not cover pitting. If you have a cast aluminum part that is pitted and requires a show quality finish, let us know before processing your order. Using our process of acid copper plating and hand polishing we can remove most of the pitting, however depending upon the casting of the part it may not be possible to remove all the pitting. You will be notified if your cast part will not be free of pits.

1spot.jpg

Pac-Man Style

I-Forged Classics with Hyperblack Centers and high polished outers. Beautiful
wheels - about $3,500 per set. They are without a doubt very sweet.

IMG_1131.JPG

find me chrome aftermarket wheels that are made of aluminum and I will stand corrected.
:confused They are all aluminum. For example:
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/s-57-corvette-chrome-wheel-exchange.aspx
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/pc-1188-51-cray-scorpion-chrome-wheels.aspx

As for the weight, naturally they are heavier... chrome weighs more than the paint or clear coat on OEM wheels. Also, most people who replace wheels do so with larger sizes, so the weight of additional metal has to be figured in. Even taking into account the preceding, it is pretty close to break-even if you switch to non-runflats at the same time as switching to chrome wheels (which is a pretty common occurance).

Pac-man said:
I don't believe that you can chrome aluminum
There are thousands of Harley owners that would disagree with that statement. ;LOL

Now. back on-topic about black wheels...

Well, I humbly stand corrected. Some chrome wheels are steel, but not all. Now, back to the black.

I kinda like the look, but I think if you have a black car and you put the black rims on it, I think you need to make the calipers black as well. Complete the stealth mode.

The black rims look good on the red Vette with the red calipers. I'll stick with the salad shooters on mine.

Jim

Well, I humbly stand corrected. Some chrome wheels are steel, but not all. Now, back to the black.

FYI, no one makes steel wheels that fit C5's, chrome or otherwise. Oh wait, I'm wrong...'04-'07 GTO spare's fit C5's. :rotfl

Hey, I admitted I was wrong. Alot of aftermarket wheels are heavier than the stock Z wheels, for example, so I wrongly assumed that they where not aluminum. Or mabee I was wrongly told that at some point. Anyway, I'm rollin' black HRE's, what are you rollin' on?

Black Wheel Beauty

Getting this thread back on track - here's another
new Z06 with that evil black wheel treatment.

zztop.jpg

Those wheels look great !!!!

The only thing that I would be different....

Is to take them to a shop and get them Chromed :D

I don't like the look. I like the shine from the "normal wheels" and I think it takes away from the vettes normal "classy" look. Just my humble opinion though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom