Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The car is packed and Europe awaits

Thanks , Paul Harrington, NCRS and New England Corvette Club members

I would like to thank Paul Harrington and the many corvette friends and members of the New England Corvette Club for send off party for the European trip.

Paul had set up a little party on the first day of my 48 state trip....to my surprise , more than 20 corvettes and their owners greeted my at Paul's home on Cape Cod....

This year Paul invited me down to do a pre trip tune up and inspections of my car before taking it to Europe.....I got there on Friday and we changed the plugs, oil, filter and check all fluids....Paul has a great garage and a few very nice cars.....and a lift...

Unfortunately.....as I got off the highway and slowed down a bit...I began to hear a bad sound from the rear and drive train....

We spent the day trying to track it down....we did find that my trailing arm shims had popped out on my right side.....we found some extras and replaced the missing ones....but the clanking and clinking continued...

I drove the car home and had no problem at high speeds, no noise or clanking....but at low speeds clinking came back....I will try to get the car to my mechanic to find the problem......hate to have a wheel fall off or some other drive train part break on the road

We did a mock judging of my car NCRS style....no I am not going to tell you how many points I had deducted.....But my engine now has decals.....I remember the original ones from 42 years ago......long gone, but now......just like new.......it says my engine has 350 HP...so it must be true..

Here are a few pictures and and link to all of them on Photobucket....about 15 to 20 members showed up with some very fast late models....

Cape Cod European Send off party pictures by jackfit87 - Photobucket

Capevettes Garage

CapeCodCapevettesParty008.jpg

Paul helping with oil filter

CapeCodCapevettesParty004.jpg

Loose shims trailing arm

CapeCodCapevettesParty003.jpg

Looking for source of clanking and clinking

CapeCodCapevettesParty013.jpg

Inside garage

CapeCodCapevettesParty011.jpg

Out side of garage

CapeCodCapevettesParty032.jpg

CapeCodCapevettesParty031.jpg

CapeCodCapevettesParty033.jpg

CapeCodCapevettesParty034.jpg

Paul and the decal ceremony

CapeCodCapevettesParty050.jpg

CapeCodCapevettesParty049.jpg

Leaving Paul's home after a great day of sun, cars, and great people

CapeCodCapevettesParty053.jpg

Jack, the Corvette community is a great bunch.....I know, I'm preaching to the choir. But nobody knows this as well as you. Rosie and I are anxiously awaiting the progress of the European tour.

Great pictures, by the way.

Watch out for original parts.......they are old....and worn....

Jack, the Corvette community is a great bunch.....I know, I'm preaching to the choir. But nobody knows this as well as you. Rosie and I are anxiously awaiting the progress of the European tour.

Great pictures, by the way.

Hi Tom and Rosie,

I am working hard at funding the documentary....waiting to hear....

I hope you and your community are doing OK....I have been following the weather and the mid west has been hit pretty hard this year.........

As posted before that my car was having problems on Cape Cod, I drove home and I got the car to the mechanic and it turns out that my right side half-shaft outer joint was hanging on by the cap and not much else. I had thought that all 4 were replaced after my 48 state trip...I guess they only replaced 3 as the one that failed was about 30 years old....

I was relieved to find out that it was only the u-joint and not a rear end or bearing problem...not that losing a half-shaft at 85 is fun....

I knew that I should have replaced my tie rods after my 48 state trip....30 years and many miles along with vice grips, plumbers wrenches, and the like to do alignments, it was time....

Did I replace them....Noooo.......and we have be chasing a clink and clank since California....Roy Brazzt thought he found the problem, upper A Arm bushing bolt was loose...did not make sound go away...

New bushings, ball joints and u-joints (except one that just failed) and stuff....last fall......I fell in love with my original camps on the sleeves...
did not change...

Mechanic fixed my u-joint...took car for a ride.....heard clink....car needed alignment after u-joint...and discovered that the camps were squeezed as far as could go.....tie rod sleeves threads were worn...and the clinking was the tie rod moving a bit...

New sleeves and clamps.....no clinks......Snake One..............we found it..........

Jack

I'm sure that I speak for hundreds (if not thousands) of people who are happy to hear that you have run down the problem. We also anxiously await the story unfolding and reports from Europe.

Thanks for allowing us to follow along with your journey.

Tom

The car is packed and the boat is at the dock waiting !

Dear Forum Members,

I will have some news on the trip by the end of the week. It looks like I will make it to Europe by the end of August.

Thanks to all who have supported my efforts and I hope you enjoy the trip .

Corvette Vagabond - Home Page

Jack

Container

Are you sending it by container or roll-on roll off?

Hi,

I am putting the car in a container in Boston....Aug. 3, and get to Bremerhaven Germany Aug 25. I hope to have it on the road by the 27th.

It cost more but the car and contents will be safer and I would have to drive the car to New Jersey for a roll on ship

Jack

MS. Sea Emma leaves Boston on August 8th

I have just confirmed the sailing date. August 7 or 8th. The car will go to Boston on July 30th, a few days for customs and packing it in a container. The MS Sea Emma will arrive in Bremerhaven, Germany on the 27th. I should clear customs and be on the road by August 29.

From Germany I will head to Denmark, first, then on to Oslo, Norway, Helsinki , Finland, Stockholm, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Netherlands, Belgium and back to Germany for departure sometime at the end of October.

The trip should cover about 7 to 8 thousand miles. I will be in the US until August 26th, land in Germany, stay with German forum member, pick up car and head north.

I think that is enough planning for today

Lots of work to do before Monday when I drop the car off in Boston.

Again thanks to all who have supported this effort and the many new owners of old and new corvettes that I will stay with in Europe.

Jack

So buckle up your seat-belt and get ready for a great ride....

or Corvette Vagabond - Home Page guest book page

Projected Route in Scandinavia

Hello to all,

I drop off the car at the shipping dock on Monday , July 30, three of four days for customs inspection and packing in container.

The MS C Emma sails on the 9th and arrives in Bremerhaven, Germany on the 27th of Aug. a few days to clear customs and I hit the road to Scandinavia . I will try to travel over 2,000 miles in about a week.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...0004c5bf0e97f7671488d&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4&vpsrc=1

I will post some pictures if possible of the departure....

Put your seat belts on , it is going to be a great ride

Jack

Drove the car to Boston for shipment to Europe

I drove the car to Boston to be packed in a container for shipment to Europe on the 9th of August. The car will arrive on the 27th in Bremehaven, Germany, I should arrive around the 26th of August.

Here is the latest map of my trip.....Bremerhaven, Germany for car pickup, and off to Scandinavia and returning to Berlin Germany.

About 3,000 miles

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...61d6ae05a8c9067&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&vpsrc=1&z=4
Jack

Here are some of the last pictures that I shot of the car at home and in Boston at the shipping company.

CartoBostonforShipmenttoEurope001.jpg

CartoBostonforShipmenttoEurope004.jpg

CartoBostonforShipmenttoEurope009.jpg

CartoBostonforShipmenttoEurope011.jpg

CartoBostonforShipmenttoEurope013.jpg

CartoBostonforShipmenttoEurope014.jpg

CartoBostonforShipmenttoEurope015.jpg

Hello Jack,

I have to say, this is so COOL!!! :upthumbs

As I live in the Netherlands (near the Belgium border) your always welcome to drop by!
If you like, I can see what I can put up for you as it will take you a while before you cross Holland and Belgium. Depending on what you have in mind I can try to put some vette's together for a nice* parkinglot meeting (*depending on the weather.) Or something smaller with a few vette's at somebody's house, no problem!

If you want some info on Holland or Belgium (well I think wiki can tell you alot) but I would say, if you like old cities, put Antwerp and Brugge on your list. You can always PM me for more info. :)

Really if I have the change to ship my vette to the states and meet some forummembers that would be really great. Let alone driving arond there, the only one with a dutch yellow licenseplate :D
Good luck to you!

Greetings Peter

Geat see up in October

Hello Jack,

I have to say, this is so COOL!!! :upthumbs

As I live in the Netherlands (near the Belgium border) your always welcome to drop by!
If you like, I can see what I can put up for you as it will take you a while before you cross Holland and Belgium. Depending on what you have in mind I can try to put some vette's together for a nice* parkinglot meeting (*depending on the weather.) Or something smaller with a few vette's at somebody's house, no problem!

If you want some info on Holland or Belgium (well I think wiki can tell you alot) but I would say, if you like old cities, put Antwerp and Brugge on your list. You can always PM me for more info. :)

Really if I have the change to ship my vette to the states and meet some forummembers that would be really great. Let alone driving arond there, the only one with a dutch yellow licenseplate :D
Good luck to you!

Greetings Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the offer.....the best way to reach me on the road will be at this email address, since I belong to many forums and it is difficult to sign on while travailing.

jack@corvettevagabond.com

I will post my progress and look forward to hearing from you ....

Jack

Preparation Check Off List For Trip

Good Evening to All,

The car is in the container, waiting to be put on aboard the MSC EMMA on August 9th. Here is a link to a picture of it.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/sho...px?imo=9275646

My posts over the next few days will contain information on the following subjects:

Car preparation
Insurance
Shipping/ Air Travel
Travel permits
Routes
Gas / Oil Needs
Legal Passport Travel Permits
Forum Member Locations Car Locations
Mechanical Support Abroad
Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

Lets start with Car Preparation. I am second owner 42 + years.

1966 L-79 327/350 All items replaced or rebuilt for 48 state trip 2010 and European trip 2012. Most installation work done by me except for engine work, steering box, ball joints/bushings and paint job 2010.

Original Engine .060 , new pistons 9.2 cr miles two years old
Over 300,000 miles, original crank, rods (40,000) miles on rebuild since 2010

All wheel bearings checked and in good condition
New stock shocks, bushings , new u-joints all shafts.

New DeWitt radiator , original steering box rebuilt , tie rods ends and sleeves replaced and new lower ball joints

Oil change and filter, transmission and rear end fluids checked...new plugs r45s, Stealth one wire TI, distributor rebuilt, new shaft, bushings.

New tires 215 R70 whitewalls, seats rebuilt and recovered and new soft top and weatherstrip.

I drive the car every day and feel I have a very reliable car.

I will not have a spare tire as I need the room for tents and supplies, I carry a small amount of tools that would allow me to fix most minor problems that may come up. I may have to add some emergency equipment, once I get the car through customs depending on German inspectors....

I believe that I can get any parts that I may need from local vendors or other Corvette owners who are hosting me.

Most of my restoration was done using Zip Corvette Supply. Good service and choice of repo or replacement for parts....Most vendors carry the same parts....it is service that is the most important and I have never had a problem with getting a return or money refunded.

My next post with be on shipping and paper work needed to take your car to Europe

I will be happy to answer any questions on car prep....that you may have....

Jack

user_online.gif

Ship and Car sets sail for Europe Tomorrow

Should I be be worried...?

The said it the ship was the latest model.....and the price was right..

CorvetteVagabondShip.jpg

It should arrive on the 27th.........that is what the shipping clerk said

Jack

PS

You can track the ship by going to this link and typing in MSC EMMA for vessel

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/#

Hi Jack,

Like Peter (peer81) already said: this is really so cool..:D I`m also from the Netherlands and back in `93 i went to the States to travel around in my Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme `78. Unfortunately the car broke down and I left it in the States....:(

I wish you a healthy and nice roadtrip and when you`re in Holland, you`re very welcome to drop by..!

Greetings Edwin

Thanks for the offer

Hi Jack,

Like Peter (peer81) already said: this is really so cool..:D I`m also from the Netherlands and back in `93 i went to the States to travel around in my Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme `78. Unfortunately the car broke down and I left it in the States....:(

I wish you a healthy and nice roadtrip and when you`re in Holland, you`re very welcome to drop by..!

Greetings Edwin

Hi Edwin,

I will keep all posted as I travel.....I should be in Holland around the 2nd week in October...you can reach me on the road ( I will post European Cell number later) and at this email address.

jack@corvettevagabond.com

Jack

The car is going to NEW YORK now !

Looks like the car needed the little bright lights of Broadway, before heading to Europe...

The schedule indicates Germany on the 26th....so I guess it is only 8 or 9 days to cross the Atlantic

Jack

Corvette Vagabond Journey update

Hello to All,

Here is the latest news on my car and its journey to Europe. I am having the car delivered to Drammen, Norway . The boat is late and I will not be able to start my trip on until the 6th of September. I have to cover 3,700 miles in 14 days to make it to Cap de Agde by 4 pm on September 21,

I must also visit the many corvette owners in Scandinavia, Germany , Italy, Switzerland on my way to France and the sea. I promised to attend an event and I will try to keep my word. Here is a map of the general area that I must cover in 14 days.... I can see it now , just like the classic French movie " Man and Women " driving like a mad man day and night rain shine.....on the way to the sea.....music playing in the backround .....

http://www.kritzerland.com/Man_Woman_Tracks/01 Un Homme Et Une Femme_inst.mp3

So, now you know how it will be.....any help or suggestions as you look at my map....the first link is the map of my proposed route. The next link is the map of corvette owners that want me to visit...you can see my problem...

I will travel the eastern part of Germany on the way south and western Germany and the Netherlands on the way north to a port to have my car shipped back to the USA.
I don't know the port yet....it depends on customs , I would like to send it back from Bremerhaven, Germany...but I must find that out....

But what fun it will be to solve the problem
Cheers

Map of drive to Cap de Agde from Oslo Just directional , I have not picked the roads yet.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&so...ia=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=5

Map of just a few of the stops in Europe...many more want me to stop by

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...0004b7fd41fe86eff6101&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=3&vpsrc=1

Travel Update

Ok folks, here is the latest news on trip schedules.

The car/container arrives in Bremerhaven , Germany on the 30th or so of September. Container is transferred to a tramp steamer, that takes it to Oslo, Norway by the 5th of September.

I will ship the car back from Norway the week of October 22-27

I wonder around the docks until I find the right place, unload car from container, show documents to Customs (no duty or taxes in Norway if you do not stay more than 1 year ) .

I fly into Oslo on the 3rd of September, it is about a 13 -15 hour flight from Portland ME / Newark / Oslo . Leave at 12:45 pm on Sunday and arrive at 10 am , Monday in Oslo.

Spend two days in and around Oslo waiting for car to arrive.

On the road I hope by the 6th heading north to Trondheim, Norway.

Members of the Corvette Club of Norway and AMCAR will be helping me get the car and attend little gatherings of car owners.

After that I have to watch out for bears, deer and moose on the roads, not very many people, just like Maine...

I will post some costs and details later....right now I am working on becoming a Cinematographic expert....should be fun....lots of pictures and 90 second videos coming your way...

Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom