Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The corvette C6 (part 2)

ChildishEgg

This is the second part of my last thread on this forum, How well does the C6 perform, is it comfortable and do you suggest buying one?
Im only 14 and im going to be able to drive really soon! So im thinking about saving up money, Should I?

Well, here we go again. First off, you keep coming up with good questions.

How well does the C6 perform? There are faster cars on the road, but 400+ hp sitting in a 3200 lb vehicle is nothing to sneeze at. 007, or James, as I call my car, is very quick, nimble and faster than I care to drive (well not really, I would like to drive mine faster, but not on public streets). My avatar is a picture of us (James and I) on the track at the NCM (National Corvette Museum).

Is it Comfortable? Let's just say this... We have done several trips in James (and my 1994 and 2001) where we were in the car for 8 to 11 hours a day. One particular trip where we had been driving for 11 hours and stopped for fuel, A lady said to my wife, "I don't see how you could possibly ride in that car." My wifes' response was "Once you get into it, it's like sitting in my La-Z-Boy at home." We typically will do 6+ hours in James, as that is the distance from our house to our daughter's house in KC. The C6 is a great road car.

As I told you in the other thread, SAVE your money and purchase one when you can. Make certain that you keep your driving record clean, as the cost of buying the C6 might be insignificant compared to the insurance rates if you have a bad driving record. Corvettes are classified as "sports cars" and insurance companies know that and assume you will drive it as such. BE RESPONSIBLE!

Well, here we go again. First off, you keep coming up with good questions.

How well does the C6 perform? There are faster cars on the road, but 400+ hp sitting in a 3200 lb vehicle is nothing to sneeze at. 007, or James, as I call my car, is very quick, nimble and faster than I care to drive (well not really, I would like to drive mine faster, but not on public streets). My avatar is a picture of us (James and I) on the track at the NCM (National Corvette Museum).

Is it Comfortable? Let's just say this... We have done several trips in James (and my 1994 and 2001) where we were in the car for 8 to 11 hours a day. One particular trip where we had been driving for 11 hours and stopped for fuel, A lady said to my wife, "I don't see how you could possibly ride in that car." My wifes' response was "Once you get into it, it's like sitting in my La-Z-Boy at home." We typically will do 6+ hours in James, as that is the distance from our house to our daughter's house in KC. The C6 is a great road car.

As I told you in the other thread, SAVE your money and purchase one when you can. Make certain that you keep your driving record clean, as the cost of buying the C6 might be insignificant compared to the insurance rates if you have a bad driving record. Corvettes are classified as "sports cars" and insurance companies know that and assume you will drive it as such. BE RESPONSIBLE!
Thanks for your reply! Its nice to know that their comfortable and worth buying. They seem to go for a long time at a steady pace which is good. How long did it take you to get it, And what made you want a corvette

As I said in the other thread, I bought my first Corvette when I was 19 (it was my third car in 1974), I had become completely enthralled with them since I had my first ride in one when I was nine. A 1963 split window coupe. I knew then that I would own one. The one I bought then was a 10 year old 1964 coupe. Then I got married and started working in the oil fields and a Corvette was not a practical vehicle, and I could not afford to keep it. But when I sold it, I made a promise to myself that I would own another some day. It took nearly 30 years, but I was able to fulfill my dream. I've owned Corvettes now for the last 16 years and enjoy driving James. It always makes me smile when we are driving him.

As I said in the other thread, I bought my first Corvette when I was 19 (it was my third car in 1974), I had become completely enthralled with them since I had my first ride in one when I was nine. A 1963 split window coupe. I knew then that I would own one. The one I bought then was a 10 year old 1964 coupe. Then I got married and started working in the oil fields and a Corvette was not a practical vehicle, and I could not afford to keep it. But when I sold it, I made a promise to myself that I would own another some day. It took nearly 30 years, but I was able to fulfill my dream. I've owned Corvettes now for the last 16 years and enjoy driving James. It always makes me smile when we are driving him.
Im very glad to hear that! I find your story influencing. 30 years seems like a long time, which it is. Im trying to do roller coaster engineering so hopefully It wont take as long. How many corvette(s) do you have, and what model. Do you wish to have any other car that isnt a corvette?

My wife and I take several road trips each year in our C6. 3 hours, 6 hours, 10 hours; no problem. The C6 is very comfortable. Everyone of them has been a MagRide car with the adjustable shocks. I bought my first Corvette in 1991 - a brand new 1992. At the time I thought that was a great riding car (I had been into muscle cars before that). After my wife got her C5, we started calling the C4, "The Beast." The C6 is even better.
Our 2006 routinely got 31 MPG on the road. Our 2008 was just as good if I didn't play with is too much. Our current C6 has the LS7 (427ci) motor. We usually get 28+ on the road with it. Even though we have a C8 on order, we're keeping our current C6.

My wife and I take several road trips each year in our C6. 3 hours, 6 hours, 10 hours; no problem. The C6 is very comfortable. Everyone of them has been a MagRide car with the adjustable shocks. I bought my first Corvette in 1991 - a brand new 1992. At the time I thought that was a great riding car (I had been into muscle cars before that). After my wife got her C5, we started calling the C4, "The Beast." The C6 is even better.
Our 2006 routinely got 31 MPG on the road. Our 2008 was just as good if I didn't play with is too much. Our current C6 has the LS7 (427ci) motor. We usually get 28+ on the road with it. Even though we have a C8 on order, we're keeping our current C6.
YOU ORDER A C8!?!?! THATS INSANE! im happy for you though!

My 64 coupe circa 1974
FQRbt9P.jpg

My 94 Z07 coupe circa 2008 traded in 2009
F9BWehf.jpg

My 2001 base coupe (Red) circa 2011 Sold 2014
ikyrkku.jpg

My current 2007 Z51 coupe (James) Circa 2018
hRxZBiA.jpg

I loved and drove my 2008 coupe for ten years, it was the perfect car, a nice combination of performance and comfort. The C6 has a beautiful body style that in my opinion will age very well in the years to come. And the car is practical, in a sense, there is a very large storage area behind the seats. But my car was not without its share of problems, the magnetic shocks were prone to leaking, and they're expensive to replace. The transmission linkage cable broke and had to be replaced, my understanding is that it's a common problem on the C6. The gas tank leaked and was replaced under warranty. Still, I believe that the C6 is an excellent first Corvette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom