Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Corvette on the sign - Jackson MS

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
I forget now which thread in which this dealership sign first made its appearence here, but I came across it quite by accident while on business in Jackson today.

Talk about fate or karma or serendipity! I missed my exit so I took the next and landed on State Street. While driving along trying to get my bearings and plot my new path to my destination, I looked up and saw this:

attachment.php

I didn't have time to stop so I made a mental note to return by this same route. When I was passing by earlier I noticed this Midyear sitting in the lot also, and I wanted to inquire about it.

attachment.php

Yes, it's a '67. No, its not a big block. The previous owner put a BB hood on it. No, it's not the original motor. No, it wasn't an automatic (thankfully - I REALLY DO NOT need to buy a Midyear right now). Yes, it was in rough shape, at least in appearence. It SOUNDED great when the shop owner cranked it so I could hear it.

And by the way - my thanks to Scott Slay for taking the time to talk with me, answer my questions and show me around.

You're a class act and asset to the Corvette community!

Anyway... a few more pix:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was going to ask about the sign as well, Jane Ann. What are these cars worth these days?

I didn't think to inquire after Horace. Scott must be his grandson... his father is Scotty Slay.

I wasn't taking notes and I wish now I had. Here's what I recall of the story as related by Scott:

When the dealership/ property was purchased, the former owner sawed off the top of the sign and took it with him. The pole remained and I believe a family friend was teasing (Horace or Scotty) about the sale price of a car they had on the lot. He told them they'd never get that amount of money for the car and may as well place it up on the pole as an advertisement for the business.

For whatever reason, (Horace or Scotty) decided to indeed put a sign and car on top, but chose not to use the auto suggested by the friend. He decided to use the '64 coupe instead (which at that time was on the lot for sale for , I think, around $1600)... and according to Scott it's been there since it was first put up on March 20th, either 1970 or 1972.

I can't recall for sure, but I think he said it's a complete '64... engine and all. I have no idea what dollar amount would be assigned such a well storied Corvette. :L

:wJane Ann

Thanks for a great story Jane Ann. The sign car appears to be a '65. Seems a waste to leave it up there but it isn't loosing any money being there.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom