Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The dangers of our hobby

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
This is a link to another site I lurk in

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/242403/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

I am in the midst of planning a Garage and 2 tools I was finding a spot for was a larger blast cabinet and a parts washer.

I may not get the parts washer
always wear protective gloves. i rebuild engines and carbs for close to 50 years and i always used protective gloves when there was any contact the the liquids. this stuff is absorbed thru the skin and is accumulative. most of the new parts washer solvents are safer than the stuff we used years ago. JUST KEEP YOU BARE HANDS OUT OF IT

Not Just At Work

The timing of this post is amazing. On Friday I was called by the woman that runs the health department in our town. Working for the town myself, I know everyone in every department which can be helpful including all the cops. The reason for the call was to inform me that about a week ago a house for sale three streets over had the home inspection done and when they tested the well water, it came back with an amazingly high level of a cleaning solvent of the industrial strength. The immediate surrounding houses within a 200 foot radius were also tested and so far 35 of them have the solvent in them. The DEP and the Gov't is now involved and paying for the testing and installing a filtering system on the ones that have failed so far. Too little too late, taken internally by drinking as we all do from our tap, they won't even speculate on the risks involved but I have been doing some research and the effects are to say the least, deadly.

Wow Lou thats scary to say the least, I thought you were in a rural area, at least as much as you can be in NJ. Do they have any idea where it came from. I hope you are far enough away not to be affected, but best get a good filter to be safe.

Indeed

I do live in a rural area. The DEP is trying to find the source, there's a stone quarry asphalt plant up the road, a huge daycare center across the road from them and a no longer in service gas station but that's all the industry in the area. The levels that are showing up in the wells tested are off the scale. I'll know a lot more tomorrow but within minutes of me getting the phone call, the bottled water was in the house.

any old iron mines up your way, I seem to remember some kind of old mines in the area my Dad lived.
Take care and keep us posted.

Yes There Were

There's a long history of the mineshafts and old rail beds used to move the ore but this is a cleaning solvent. Every couple years we find another mine that's eroded and sinking so we start filling them back up again, the most recent one about 100yds from a $7,000,000 home built about tens years ago but just since I'm here I've worked at least 10 of them. The trucks just bring me load after load of shot rock and I use our track machine to fill the holes up. It gets pretty interesting at some of the situations you can get that machine in. Thanks for your concern Craig, I will keep you informed of what's happening as it unfolds, hopfully nothing.

Lou

Thanks for the warning, Larry. I was always told that stuff was nasty and despite the warnings (which were more about drying out skin) I've bare-handed in it a few times. Lucky for me, I haven't had much exposure, maybe three times over the years.

-Mac

I worked in a Heat Treating plant in Elk Grove Village for ONE night. I had to forklift huge baskets of parts into vats of de-greaser before they went into the huge ovens (the guy I replaced was killed when the oven exploded, blowing the doors off, hitting him and blowing him through the brick wall. I finished my shift and never came back.

Best thing I ever did for myself.

Pancreatic cancer in itself is not a good type to have...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom