Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! The incredible bouncing headlight

JimBobC4

Corvette
1995 Dark Red 6spd Convertible
I have noticed when turning the lights off on my 1995 Convertable, the right hand headlight continues to " bounce " after it is all the way down. It seems as if the motor is still trying to pull the headlight down even after it's at rest. It bounces 4 times then stops. Everytime.

I have rebuilt several Porsche,Fiat and Honda headlight motors in the past. Is this a simple fix, maybe a bad switch contact in the motor ?
or do I need to spend the big bucks on a new headlight motor ?;shrug

I have noticed when turning the lights off on my 1995 Convertable, the right hand headlight continues to " bounce " after it is all the way down. It seems as if the motor is still trying to pull the headlight down even after it's at rest. It bounces 4 times then stops. Everytime.

I have rebuilt several Porsche,Fiat and Honda headlight motors in the past. Is this a simple fix, maybe a bad switch contact in the motor ?
or do I need to spend the big bucks on a new headlight motor ?;shrug

It's a simple fix, there are three nylon bushings inside the gear assembly that are worn out too much...since they're worn down, they're not giving enough resistance to trigger the motor to cut off and it's running until it times out basically. Do a search on the forum for headlight bushings and you'll probably turn up more posts than you can dream about for it...there is one really good one somewhere I'll see if I can find and give you a link to that has pic's and step by step instructions. It's fairly simple, about 6$ or so maybe and 40 minutes or so per headlight.

Try this LINK or if that didn't work, the url is:
http://home.comcast.net/~zrjuan/headlight.html

Look at picture 16 on that page, see those three round bushings inside of the white plastic gear? You don't have those anymore. :L
That's about the best "how-to" fixit page I've found for it, holler if you're having trouble figuring out what bushings to use...although like I mentioned, search the forum and you'll find plenty of posts on it. Give a shout if you need more help!

Thanks. Sorry to clog the forum up with redundant questions. Now to find the new bushings....

Dang newbies .... :bash

Thanks. Sorry to clog the forum up with redundant questions. Now to find the new bushings....

Dang newbies .... :bash

Hey, we were all newbies at one time or another. And, as to redundant questions, don't worry about it. There's so much information out here that it can be overwhelming and hard to keep track of. Ask away....:w

Scott

No worries about the newbie/redundant question thing, Scott's right, we all start somewhere! I don't mind answering questions I can help with whether new or old ones, just wanted you to know there's info here in the forums about it other than just what I have to say on it...and a lot of times it's best to read a few different peoples input on something before diving into it.

Hi Jim/Bob

I am having trouble with my headlight and came across your post. Mine headlight motor also runs longer also. Once the light turns on it is facing out as if you were driving at nigh and then with the movement of the car it dips downward. Or if it is on and facing out ward and you touch it, it also falls inward and seems really lose. Is this cause by the worn out bushings also.

thanks

Bob

Question for those who have done this fix, how worn was the plastic gear? My passenger side motor is making noise and I am wondering if I should get another gear in addition to the bushings. Is the bronze gear worth the extra money?

Hi Jim/Bob

I am having trouble with my headlight and came across your post. Mine headlight motor also runs longer also. Once the light turns on it is facing out as if you were driving at nigh and then with the movement of the car it dips downward. Or if it is on and facing out ward and you touch it, it also falls inward and seems really lose. Is this cause by the worn out bushings also.

thanks

Bob

I'm really not sure with yours, hopefully someone with more knowledge will speak up. I think yours is a different design though and may be a different problem than the bushings. ;shrug

Question for those who have done this fix, how worn was the plastic gear? My passenger side motor is making noise and I am wondering if I should get another gear in addition to the bushings. Is the bronze gear worth the extra money?

I did mine when there was about 110k on the clock and the gears in both my headlights were just fine.

well I checked. One bushing is fine or at least whole, the other 2 seem to be in crumbles. Must be from all the speed and wind resistance ;).

I'm really suprised it works at all. Where do I find the replacement parts ?

well I checked. One bushing is fine or at least whole, the other 2 seem to be in crumbles. Must be from all the speed and wind resistance ;).

Eckler's has them. I just did mine and you would not believe what I found. Some clown before me had used two nuts in each corner and covered the whole mess with gray silicone. I have slop in the "horseshoe" brackets so I have a bushing kit on order from vette2vette.com. Talk to Jason, he is a nice guy. It really is an easy fix but when you do it one of the bolts that hold the motor on is hard to get at, it is torx, so you have to use the knob to manually adjust the headlight up to get at it. There is an excellent article that walks you through the whole thing with detailed pictures. Do a search for "lazy eye" or something like that. Someone pointed me in the right direction. Now I forget where it was. The whole job can be done, both lights in a few hours or less.

Paul

Go to Auto Zone or Advance and look in the "Help Section",Mach it up with a Power Window Gear repair kit!!!:upthumbs

Junk, the power window repair kit will work on the headlights? Man, if I knew that it would have saved me a lot of hassle. I'm STILL waiting on my parts to come in I ordered.

By the way, I really appreciate all the help you give me and others. Junk, I don't know how you find the time to do it but a special thanks is in order. People like you who are willing to help EVERYONE are a rare breed.

:beer

Junk, the power window repair kit will work on the headlights? Man, if I knew that it would have saved me a lot of hassle. I'm STILL waiting on my parts to come in I ordered.
Ask Dude!! I usually have a set or two lying around!!:D:D:D

attachment.php

By the way, I really appreciate all the help you give me and others. Junk, I don't know how you find the time to do it but a special thanks is in order. People like you who are willing to help EVERYONE are a rare breed.

Thank You,Your Welcome!! Sometimes I don't,I just do it anyway if I can!! Besides,Someday it might make me Rich and Famous!!:boogie:boogie :boogie :beer

Hey Junk, look back up in this thread at post ...were 88's the same too, or was that the previous motor assembly?
88-96 :upthumbs

Junk, I needed the bushings that go into the "horseshoe" brackets. The swing arms that connect the headlight motor to the headlight itself. I also need a bronze bushing that goes onto the top of the white plastic gear that is inside the motor, several thin, flat washers, and a couple of gaskets for the covers. Whoever had the car before me really messed this one up. I did the Delrin modification and it was easy as pie but what I saw made me cringe. So instead of spending a small fortune on a rebuilt I asked someone and they recommended vette2vette and I spoke with Jason and he has all those parts, I spoke with him today and he said my order is ready to go but he's just waiting on the new bushing kit that will do two motor's arms.

And what do you mean it may make you rich and famous!?!? You have TWO houses, and how many Vettes? I would think that the amount of help you voluntary give here Junk qualifies you as famous! :boogie

Junk, I needed the bushings that go into the "horseshoe" brackets. The swing arms that connect the headlight motor to the headlight itself. I also need a bronze bushing that goes onto the top of the white plastic gear that is inside the motor, several thin, flat washers, and a couple of gaskets for the covers. Whoever had the car before me really messed this one up. I did the Delrin modification and it was easy as pie but what I saw made me cringe. So instead of spending a small fortune on a rebuilt I asked someone and they recommended vette2vette and I spoke with Jason and he has all those parts, I spoke with him today and he said my order is ready to go but he's just waiting on the new bushing kit that will do two motor's arms.

And what do you mean it may make you rich and famous!?!? You have TWO houses, and how many Vettes? I would think that the amount of help you voluntary give here Junk qualifies you as famous! :boogie
Believe it or not,If you know kinda what your looking for,you can find allot of things that will work at a Hardware store!! Our True Value Hardware right here in Old Fart has all sorts of plastic and brass bushings,small flat washer shims and even small brushes for electric motors!! I've repaired wing vent motors,power window motors,for 65,66,67,Chrysler Imperials,C2 Head Light Assembly's,Heater Blower Motors,Ford and GM 4X4 Actuator Motors, I even overhauled my wifes Vacuum Cleaner a couple months ago!!:boogie:boogie:boogie There's just some things for old cars you can't buy anymore so you have to repair or rebuild them!! I guess hanging around my Dad and Grand Dad's Machine shop when I was young rubbed off a little,things I learned when I was a Kid has sure helped me in the Automotive Field!! :D:D:D

I have done the same thing! Ace is the place when you need certain items. If I don't get the bushings and the bronze step washer I'll try them.:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom