Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! The Kid rebuilding a Muncie

thanks john

whoulda' thunk!:w

...this is why you folks should do business with GTR1999..... a very helpful, knowledgeable guy....try getting this kind of service from the big guys

thanks gary!:w

ok Joe, USPS flat rate box you should have it on Wed.:upthumbs

Follow that video and use your press and you'll be ok. The sliders and forks are not in the kits so check them for wear.

thanks gary

..i'm really pleased with the condition of the parts in the existing transmission, the synchro's look good, the forks have a bit of wear at the tips, nothing like what i've seen in the past.....i'll bet i could've lubed this puppy up and just thrown it in there but there's no way i'd trust an unknown device, let alone a transmission

cleaned the case over the weekend, all shiny n'stuff, red paint removed from the top of the case, surfaces ground flat...brought a tear to my eye:cry

hey john!

STILL waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive...he must have sent it USPS;squint:

A good friend just bought a rebuilt Muncie from 4 Speed Man . It was delivered in just a few days and they also have any parts that you need. He was very impressed with the people he talked to over the phone and their service.

Tom

thanks, Tom

we won't be back home until monday and that rebuild kit BETTER be there...not that i need it to get a car on the road but i still have gary's wrench (thanks gary!) and i want to get all these little parts put back into that box:mad

got the rebuild kit and hopefully, i can get this thing back together next weekend

....as it was, i probably wouldn't have had time to try over the holiday weekend because i put up a 10'x12'x7' aluminum framed canopy over the hot tub...must have been a million little loops of material that i had to hook to set the screening and privacy curtains...fortunately, i am now fluent in "Mandarin Assembly Language" so it only took two days:eyerole

got the rebuild kit and hopefully, i can get this thing back together next weekend

....as it was, i probably wouldn't have had time to try over the holiday weekend because i put up a 10'x12'x7' aluminum framed canopy over the hot tub...must have been a million little loops of material that i had to hook to set the screening and privacy curtains...fortunately, i am now fluent in "Mandarin Assembly Language" so it only took two days:eyerole

Next Time....Before assembly...Soak the parts in wet Rice...:D

well, i just finished the rebuild and i want to thank gary ramadei (GTR1999, I think) for loaning me the muncie wrench to install the front nut on the input shaft...gary did a superb job of rebuilding my steering boxes (now that's a job i have NO interest in attempting) and he was kind enough to mail me the wrench to do the job correctly (the wrench is simple and i traced a pattern to make my own during the first real bad snow storm we encounter)

it was gary who also pointed me to www.5speeds.com for a dvd done by paul canglialosi titled "muncie basics" and it shows how to rebuild the beast with simple hand tools (i made a custom tool for holding down the ball bearing for the rear shifter arm from an old screwdriver, the only pause in an otherwise straightforward job).....i literally had the laptop playing the video on the bench while i did the reassembly and i knew exactly what to expect....according to the video, you can bypass the special muncie wrench and use a big ass pipe wrench if you're careful, which is what i'll do next time (yup, there will be a next time during the off season)...

....i admit that i haven't driven the tranny yet but everything works that way that it should (VNV has a good idea about converting my home made buffer machine to drive the input shaft and run it through the gears and i'll do that before i drop the old trans...pretty clever idea)...the sliders move easily, it shifts through all four gears and reverse works fine......i WONDERED how to pop the tail on a muncie and now it's pretty clear, the reverse gear has a lip on it that's grabbed by the reverse shifter arm and to remove the tail, you just pull the shifter arm out and you're good to go...whoulda' thunk?

i also bought the rebuild kit from 5speeds and was real pleased with the quality

...so, i bought the tranny for $100 and i put maybe $150 worth of parts into it...if this works, i'm in hog heaven when you consider how much some guys charge for this service...and you never know the quality

now, if i could find a gear vendors overdrive that needs rebuilding, that'd be sweet!

3:36 and M22

I have replaced my m20 with a M22
turns out I got the short TO bearing with a straight
fingered pressure plate. This was not a good mistake
to make. I get to do it all over again.
As soon as I get some lifting help.
When I get it replaced and on the road I will post
my impression of the ratio combination. I know
I did not really care for the 1st and 2nd gear pull
from the M20. I would not like to have to redo
the rear end too.
good luck

Joe - sounds like this went pretty smooth and I am sure you did your usual great job on it. Let us know how it works out.

With about 5 or 6 "Mar-Tune-es" and Snatra play-en in the backround it should have gone smooth....The Kid likes to wrench with a slight buzzzzz:D

Hey John, thanks!

I'm a bit like you, it's so busy at work that I don't have time to drive either car. I may do the tranny swap back in Hopewell where I have the 4 post lift plus a trans lift...I'm getting too old to do this stuff flat on my back:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom