Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Project "BLOW" odyssey has begun!

At least F&M deli is open again for the season, Mark was having lean pastrami withdrawl symptoms.:boogie

Aaahh..!!! That would be " Corned Beef"...not Pastrami..:D

Oh, yeah. That's right. Either way, the owners were glad to see us back.

Time for her to trade in her c5 for a c6.

BTW, been surfing the various websites for a 454 sbc. World has a low compression version that just may be the ticket if I have to go that route. Shafiroff "only" offers a 427:W

so, i had VNV over to help me size the v belts for the water pump and the alternator....the short version is that i am using an "idler" belt to drive the double water pump pulley off of the crank pulley...i then use a single belt off of the water pump pulley to drive the alternator because the header based alternator bracket is so low that a single belt will dig into the lowere radiator hose...two belts eliminates that problem....

so, we must have done eleven runs to advance auto parts for various sized belts and VNV comes up with a logical idea for the idler pulley which is the major problem....let's log onto their website and get the correct part number for the idler pulley (all the while i'm thinking that having a correct part numer has NEVER work for me with belts....i order 3 up and 3 down from my guesstimate and just return whatever's left over...of course, i have about $600 of v belts on my credit card at any given point on time but it works for me)

...so, we get the correct idler belt number for a '65 sb corvette, no AC and guess what?.......it's about 3 feet toooooooooooooo long...ANOTHER trip to the store :hb

finally got the belts by my usual method of +3/-3

only me :mad

..we briefly thought of calling 1.800.JOHNZ for advice but it was just easier to go back to advance and talk to the counterman that had NO clue.....i got to the point where i would walk in and go to the back where they keep the belts and just started measuring.......;shrug

so, i had VNV over to help me size the v belts for the water pump and the alternator....the short version is that i am using an "idler" belt to drive the double water pump pulley off of the crank pulley...i then use a single belt off of the water pump pulley to drive the alternator because the header based alternator bracket is so low that a single belt will dig into the lowere radiator hose...two belts eliminates that problem....

so, we must have done eleven runs to advance auto parts for various sized belts and VNV comes up with a logical idea for the idler pulley which is the major problem....let's log onto their website and get the correct part number for the idler pulley (all the while i'm thinking that having a correct part numer has NEVER work for me with belts....i order 3 up and 3 down from my guesstimate and just return whatever's left over...of course, i have about $600 of v belts on my credit card at any given point on time but it works for me)

...so, we get the correct idler belt number for a '65 sb corvette, no AC and guess what?.......it's about 3 feet toooooooooooooo long...ANOTHER trip to the store :hb

finally got the belts by my usual method of +3/-3

only me :mad

..we briefly thought of calling 1.800.JOHNZ for advice but it was just easier to go back to advance and talk to the counterman that had NO clue.....i got to the point where i would walk in and go to back where they keep the belts and just started measuring.......;shrug

...But....The Pata & Beans with Hot Peppers for lunch was Excellent... Thnaks Lynn:D

If you had an old belt that was longer you could cut it and use it to measure what you need then go get a few close to that size. :D

..we briefly thought of calling 1.800.JOHNZ for advice but it was just easier to go back to advance and talk to the counterman that had NO clue.....i got to the point where i would walk in and go to back where they keep the belts and just started measuring.......;shrug

I've always done the same thing on project cars - I use a piece of clothesline around the pulleys for the measurement, then go to Murray's and get that length and at least 2 up and 2 down, and take the ones back that don't fit; great minds think alike. :D ;LOL

hey mark...always glad to see you around because i eat a hell of a lot better when company comes:boogie

bossvette and john....in fact, i DO have a long cut belt and use that as the starting place but the 'ol +3/-3 never fails:eek:hnoes ...we thought about flatbedding the car to their parking lot to save time:rotfl

..the REAL expensive version was ballparking the serpentine belt for the supercharger....good thing that i married a wealthy woman;help

hey mark...always glad to see you around because i eat a hell of a lot better when company comes:boogie

bossvette and john....in fact, i DO have a long cut belt and use that as the starting place but the 'ol +3/-3 never fails:eek:hnoes ...we thought about flatbedding the car to their parking lot to save time:rotfl

..the REAL expensive version was ballparking the serpentine belt for the supercharger....good thing that i married a wealthy woman;help

Project "Blow" will be the only "Serpentine" And "V" Belt" SB Corvette in the world.....:boogie

I've always done the same thing on project cars - I use a piece of clothesline around the pulleys for the measurement, then go to Murray's and get that length and at least 2 up and 2 down, and take the ones back that don't fit; great minds think alike. :D ;LOL

It was almost an instant reaction once we figured we screwed up the measurment and part number cross....

"Heh...Quick...lets post on all forums .."1.800. John Z"
;LOL

:eyerole Well, here's a picture of the nearly finished product.

Many thanks to VNV for helping to get it to this point.

Once I fire it up, I'll have time to finish either a REALLY long post or do my own website which will contain step-by-step pictures, instructions and measurements for my car. Mr. Moderator, sir, your worshipfullness...any thoughts how I should post such a thing on this website since I'd be happy to use this as an afinity site for the install?

Points of interest in this picture are the two "Mark Richman Memorial" v-belts that drive the water pump and alternator. This is the result of the eleven trips to Advance Auto Parts. The front belt is an idler that just loops the crankshaft pulley and the water pump - it is a bear to get over the pulleys but is nice and tight once it drops in. The rear belt goes from the water pump to the alternator (now reclocked to have the wires plug in from the bottom to maximize side clearance). I had to go this route because one belt for the 3 pulleys will rub against the lowere radiator hose. I suppose I caused that problem by going with a hooker header alternator bracket setup. Even that bracket had to be machined to allow about another 1/2" forward travel to allow the alternator pulley to line up.

Let me tell you, it was a BEAR putting on two thight v-belts at the same time. I had to tip the water pump pulley and JUST grab the water pump shaft with the pully and "walk" the pulley onto the shaft. The rar, longer belt kept popping off and interfering with the two pulleys so I finally pulled the rear belt as tight as I could and retained it with a nylon tie. Even after that, it took a half an hour to get that booger on.

I'll post a few other detailed pictures when I get interent service back up at home (BUH BY Comcast, Hello Verizon). My main concern is the compressor oiling hose coming off the top of the block (remember, this is the original 327, old style block)....it's OK for a temporary fix but I want to make sure nothing rattles loose.

What's left to do? Reinstall the radiator/hoses. install the new MSD distributor. Cut new plug wires. Install the new MSD Boost Retard system. Install the boost gauge. Cut and fit a new AN fuel line. Nylon tie/and/or otherwise restrain every new wire and hose. Re-prime the oiling system to wet the compressor (new heads/valve gear already done). Check for any leaks/loose bolts/loose hoses before fire up.

Then pray and drink heavily before firing it up. I may leave the state and just ask VNV to fire it up and call me if anything goes wrong.

If anything DOES go wrong with the engine per se, I've had it with period engines and will just buy the biggest small block crate motor that I can afford and start all over again. At least the blower engineering is done.

If it works as is, then I go out and buy a real lathe/milling machine and retire my emco.

ttfn

Like I said you will be up and running in no time, does the hose on the blower match the color of the car?
Looks good, what was the SB originally?

....the blower hose is kind of a sky blue whereas "Lucy" (I've named both cars after comedienes Lucille Ball and Gracie Allen because neither one of them takes me seriously) is Nassau Blue.......

...near as i can fugure, this car was originally a 350hp version which had fake 365hp flags.....when i tore the engine down for the rebuild, it had the correct domed pistons and a hydraulic cam with solid lifters ;help

....with a "back of the envelope" estimate, with 72cc heads, the head gasket that i used and the 5psi boost i have dialed in, i should have a static CR of about 11:1

....funny you should mention the underhood colors, if you take a look at the carb box, it has the Vortech logo and ribs as decoration...the background for that is all rough cast...once it's up and running and before i install the hood, i'll clean the top of the box thoroughly and paint the rough background Nassau Blue with an air brush...ought to make it pop...when i rebuild my own alternators, i paint the exposed part of the field coil Nassau Blue....it's the little things that make a difference.....

....if VNV stands still long enough, i'll paint him Nassau Blue:rotfl

Nassau Blue...the ONLY colour that counts (to paraphrase 67Heaven)

a hydraulic cam with solid lifters ;help

;LOL were they "numbers matching" ;LOL
I haven't named my last two yet, but 20 years ago I had a Chevelle wagon that I named "Christine" because whenever I would work on someone else's car it would break down it was extremely jealous, like my Wife. ;LOL
the names seem to come with time on mine as their personalities reveal them selves.

;LOL were they "numbers matching" ;LOL
I haven't named my last two yet, but 20 years ago I had a Chevelle wagon that I named "Christine" because whenever I would work on someone else's car it would break down it was extremely jealous, like my Wife. ;LOL
the names seem to come with time on mine as their personalities reveal them selves.

...the guy i bought it from was a real *******...i think i have a "before" picture of the engine sitting around somewhere and will post it.......he told me it was 0.10" over and a "certified" 365hp car that he had just rebuilt to "new" specs whereas i noted he had a 4x8 sheet of plywood under the car and it was soaked with oil...the car is a '65 and he proudly pointed out the "365" flags on the valve covers (which had the '66 mold crack)...i basically gave him his price because the car was under priced, even for a mixed #match car...after i gave him his cash he said that he would sell me his '65 AIM and i just walked away shaking my head :booty

OK, some pictures......the first picture is of the final mockup (everything in place, not yet started) and the second is of our very own VNV and 4WDVETTE who JUST happened to stop by for lunch ;LOL.....

thanks for all the help guys:w

OK, some pictures......the first picture is of the final mockup (everything in place, not yet started) and the second is of our very own VNV and 4WDVETTE who JUST happened to stop by for lunch ;LOL.....

thanks for all the help guys:w

No Prob..Allways nice when the "NJCC" get together... Now I'm banking my head trying to get all these little probs with the A/C Comp brackets worked out. I feel like I'm at your house...

I've already done 5 mockups and made two trips to the hardware store. One of those trips resulted in a minor Conflict between me (the customer) and he (Sales person). Seems when I asked for a specific SS bolt ..I didn't ask it in the correct "ACE Hardware" Terminology.

This resulted in a smart ass answer from the Bald headed ACE Hardware sales person which in turn required me to bring the full Wrath of a group of well chosen words. Some of which contained letters such as MF AH & of course..my favorite.."DH" in front of the 5 or 6 Bolt & Nut shoppers standing in the area.

After his apology... he showed me the correct location of the SS Bolt I required. Of course ..after all that trouble the box did not contain the size I needed,

However... The Bolt & Nut Shoppers did give me a short round of applause for taking on old baldy. This made me feel better as I let ACE's Place.:D

"I've already done 5 mockups and made two trips to the hardware store. One of those trips resulted in a minor Conflict between me (the customer) and he (Sales person). Seems when I asked for a specific SS bolt ..I didn't ask it in the correct "ACE Hardware" Terminology."

He isn't a lawyer, French or moonlights at Comcast does he? ALL of those are on the Kid's short list this Easter.:mad

BTW, great story here in Hopewell. Figured I'd not call a gutter cleaning service and bought a LONG extendable power washer wand with a "U" fitting. My gutters are WAY up there. Even bought a restraining belt for the wand. This is all Northern Tool stuff, very good quality. I put the tip of the wand into the top gutter, pulled the trigger and WOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEE. I looked like the Keystone Kops at the end of a fire hose:boogie:boogie:boogie

I'm not dead, I'm all better now. (Practicing since we're going to see Spamalot tomorrow :D )

Took the Kids to see Spamalot last December, you'll have a good time; Hope you have close seats there were some nice costumes in it.

cool...thanks....my wife has only one kid to deal with now, me.......i bought these tickets as SOON as they went on sale...of course, i didn't check to see when Easter hit:SLAP

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom