Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The quest continues, help me out.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/cgi-bin/archives/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=1968_-_1982/1982&image=82side.jpg&img=12&tt=

The above is a link to the 1982 model gallery...last photo of a CE.

Note the gap in the front tire well between the tire and fender...that's what I would expect to see and likely yield about a 3" or more difference on the front end spoiler. You can clearly see the ability to slide your hand directly into the wheel well...there's no way I could that right now and I'm concerned if I bottom I'll be breaking fiberglass.

I'll know more once I tear it down but I suspect chopped springs or something similiar that is been done on purpose as it's even on both sides and nothing appears broken or out of place.

I believe the difference in height of some '80-'82's is the FE7 suspension package. Mine came with it and rides at a comfortable height....I believe a fist (3") of clearance under the spoiler. I do notice ones that must have the std springs that have settled down a little. Thoses do tend to look too low.

Enjoy,
JU

Interested in a silver on silver '81? It's in your price range as it is.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this. there is a finger shaped support that holds the spoiler up in the middle. It can be bent up and down to adjust for front spoiler height. They forgot to attach mine when it was painted. My spoiler was almost dragging on the ground.

Jim

too low?

Zixxer, I have a 81 in red, looks very similiar to yours (mine is prettier- hahaha) my front end looks as low as yours. Either both dont need a lift, or both do need a lift. let me know what u find.
Also, forgot where i read it , but ground clearance on the 81 is only 3.5 inches, i suspect that to be at the front spoiler, which i had to rebuild also.
mike j

mikejpss said:
Zixxer, I have a 81 in red, looks very similiar to yours (mine is prettier- hahaha) my front end looks as low as yours. Either both dont need a lift, or both do need a lift. let me know what u find.
Also, forgot where i read it , but ground clearance on the 81 is only 3.5 inches, i suspect that to be at the front spoiler, which i had to rebuild also.
mike j

That was a pic from looking at the car...wait until I've had a chance to get this baby just the way I want her....your car will be jealous :L ;) I actually wish I had the tan interior...I may change mine to either tan or black...the red interior looks good after I've cleaned it up but I like a contrasting color.

Well I went to tackle the front springs and didn't have a ball joint tool...silly me for even trying...thursday I'll try again and my gas shocks are in now so its good timing. I'm probably only looking at getting an inch back but I think that's a world of difference.

I'm hitting the front spoiler left and right even with careful driving. My 96 is low so I'm used to challenges but this is too low.

I'll let you know my before and after clearances.

Even after I take it off the jack I can tell a difference in height so I think the coils are just worn out.

I still think your front end looks fine. Have a look at mine. Its never been touched.

newvette115tw.jpg

Yours looks fine...it's hard to tell from my pics but mine was too low. I've completed the left side rebuild (offset A arms, gas shocks, coils, poly everything, etc.) and I can tell you I gained back the missing 2" +

The manual I have says the stock height clearance from the rockers is 8.68" front and 8.57" rear....mine was 5.5" up front and 8.25" back. My front spoiler was 2.5" off the ground.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom