Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Screen on my MAF

S

Shadowing1985v

Is it a good thing to just cut that little screen out of it

i read it holds back air

what do u guy's think, is this a good idea

I think your better off leaving it alone.
IMHO.

it is supposed to straighten the air so that the MAF reads accurate.

hmm

i got this information off of TPIS site

I think that screen is a heating element that measures mass. DONT TOUCH IT

The screen is there to prevent debris from entering the intake manifold. If you are using a good air filter such as a K&N unit, there stands little chance of any debris getting into the system.

There has been some talk as to the screens straightening the airflow, but the argument is still open for discussion. IMHO it doesn't hurt to remove the screens, and the airflow is definitely improved (I forget exactly how much more cfm of air is available by removing the screens, but it is significant).

The wire you see inside the MAF is the sensing element, it is heated to burn off any contaminants.

The Bosch Mass Air Flow sensor uses a heated wire to measure the amount of air entering the engine. This heated wire features a burn-off function that cleans the wire after the engine has been run by heating it red-hot.

Burn-off occurs when the engine is shut down after being run in closed loop. The ECM grounds the black wire connected to terminal D12 which energizes the pull-down windings in the burn-off relay. This applies 12 volts to the heated wire, causing it to heat up, glow red, and burn off anything that may have stuck to it during the last drive.

_ken :w

The MAP sensor has 2 screens...one front and one rear,one would assume its safe to remove the rear screen
The heated wire is cooled by the mass of air flowing passed it ,thus changing the voltage in the wire,this provides a measurement of the amount of air coming into the engine
Derek

:w

This last week I took a LONG look at mine.. And ya they are just guards for the MAF wires.

Because I cut out my filter lid Ive already lost some protection if by chance a POS gets through my filter (K&N) and makes it to the MAF Im in for a 500$ Fix so I decided to leave the front guard alone.

However there is two, so If I take the rear screen off towards the Throttle body will I even gain anything?

hmm

I thought i only saw one screen

i will look again i guess,,

does cutting out your air box really help, Big red?

im thinking of doing it,, but im stlil confused wha ti cut off, hehe

hmm

Your better off not cutting the screens on your current MAF end, go out and buy new anodized ends that have no screens and save the originals for if and when you decide to sell the car you can you put the originals back on.

Re: hmm

Shadowing1985v said:

No. all your doing is recirculating hot air the trapped inside the engine bay . to truly get any benefit from the Air box, replace it with a ram air system that will draw cool air from outside the car

yeah

Im building my own RAM system in a week or so

and put a K&N in as well

I removed the (2) screens from my MAF at about 55,000 miles; now have right at double that mileage and no ill effects. No driveability problems, but no great seat-of-the-pants boost either.
Remove the screens if you wish using the TPIS-recommended method: use a thin knifeblade to pry loose the small plastic rings that hold the screens in place. They're glued or otherwise bonded, so work carefully and take your time. (Try not to insert tip of knifeblade into palm of hand!)
The rings and screens will come out intact, so you can re-install them if you're ever so-inclined.
What you might NOT want to do, if you live and drive in hot areas, is further modify the MAF by cutting away the heat-sink fins. Or you could have two MAF's, a summer one with fins, and a winter one w/o fins. 'Way too much trouble, I think.

- R

hehe

yeah sounds like way to much trouble

i will build the RAM air induction
once i have that there shoudlnt' be any real need to remove the screens anyways

The screens are there for both reasons... to help stop debris (which is the lesser of the two, since the air is already filtered) and to straighten the air... On corvettes, the air is running straight already, so the screens can be cut out. On the F Body cars, the air isn't straightened, and the screens actually help the performance of the engine. I have seen the dyno tests, and taking out the screen always increases HP on Corvettes... Don't expect any miracles though, a gain of 2-4 HP should be expected, you may even manage up to 6 HP if you are lucky

wow thanx man

that seems to make sense

i gues si will take i tout

it won't do no harm if any

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom