Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The things I miss on my 81 vette.

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everyone,

Now that I'm assembling my vette (or done for the bigest part) I have a list of items I miss on my vette. I took the 81 assembly manual and also came across some parts i didn't even know they had to be on my vette. So here is the question. In the following picture's everything in the red circle I miss. Could you help me determine if they indeed had to be on a 81 vette originaly. And where to get these things. Maybe somebody has them at home?
Here we go!

IMG_3630.JPG

1. First things, I just removed the door stickers and could not save them. I know corvettecentral makes the tire stickers but who makes the first one? And I didn't have the third round sticker, should that one also be present?
(still in search for a AWN emissions sticker to ;) )

IMG_3631.JPG

2. A-pillar insulation, ever seen it in my vette so, should it be present or not? What kind of material is it, and could I make it myself?

IMG_3632.JPG

3. Aircopomp spacer, mine has 5 washers or so, not the nicest thing to see. Maybe I could get this part here in Holland from another vette.

IMG_3633.JPG

4. Clip to connect the CO connector to the heat shield, never had this one, seems to be a handy thing.

IMG_3634.JPG

5. Airpomp elbow lock. This lock is very diffent from the other one. I have the left one. Everybody I know don't want to sell the part to me, so the search goes on. :)

IMG_3635.JPG

6. Radiator support shims. I don't have them, also isn't a problem because I can fix the problem with normal washers. Just curious if these really belong there?

IMG_3636.JPG

7. Little 90 degree angled bracket for the interior lights. I never could figure out where these lights should lock into.

IMG_3637.JPG

8. A shield for the wire/connections on the starter. I don't have the shield or the bracket for the shield. Should this be present on a 81 vette?

IMG_3638.JPG

9. Sparkplug shields, I only have the big shield for cilinder 5 and 7 and the two ignitionwiring lines, should the other sparkplugs also have a shield? This shield looks to me to belong on a older enige or am I wrong?

IMG_3639.JPG

10. Last but not least. The number 2 spark plug retainer. It connects to the gascable bracket. I have a normal retainer but I would like to have this one :)

Thanks!

of course when you put together a car you start thinking... was this bolt or screw never there, or did i loose it?.... But lucky for me I can get my hands on english bolts and corvette screws here in Holland :)

Groeten Peter.

HI Peter...Lets see.....
1) the certification labels...yes,they were there when they left the factory,
I found the one of the labels at corvette central and the other last august at carlisle you need to type in your own info BTW...
2) don't know
3) Mine is a spacer about as thick as those 5 washers,don't know where tyo find one.
4) dont know
5)air pump elbow mine is the same way...I have no reason to believe it is any thing but OEM
6)dont know but I can look if nobody else knows.....
7)Yup need that..... don't know where to get it....
8&9) dont know...
10) I'll have to go look at mine to see what I have on there after I get the shield off

good luck.....

Thanks for the info Bill,

A little remark on point five; I'm in search for the lock not the elbow ;)

Groeten Peter.

Hello everyone,

IMG_3637.JPG

8. A shield for the wire/connections on the starter. I don't have the shield or the bracket for the shield. Should this be present on a 81 vette?

IMG_3638.JPG

9. Sparkplug shields, I only have the big shield for cilinder 5 and 7 and the two ignitionwiring lines, should the other sparkplugs also have a shield? This shield looks to me to belong on a older enige or am I wrong?...

Thanks!

Groeten Peter.

Peter,

I should be able to help you with #9.

If you need the starter support bracket (as shown on #8), I saw one on eBay just 2 days ago (search under "chevrolet bracket").

GerryLP:cool

The point 6 is availble from zip as part of part # zbl-369 radiator support bolts and shims, I never used the shims since mine never had them. It looks like someone removed and replaced the starter some time and left the other parts off. I would suggest you send this email to all the parts vendors and let them look for the parts you need. Also contemparary corvette has used parts, like a salvage yard. They might have all the parts you need. www.contemporarycorvette.com
Also, you migth want to subscribe to corvette fever mag or vette mag. They have many vendors that advertise in them and many goooooood articles showing how to work on these cars. They are also on line with many tech articles on line to help you.

Also, if anyone is parting out a 81, they might have parts to sell you. Checked e-bay for someone selling a lot of 81 parts?? sometimes you can contact them by email about other parts you need. sometimes they may not have 81 parts on ebay, but may have them to sell, but not listed. they almost have their own salvage yard in their back yard, so to speak. good luck.

Thanks for the info Bill,

A little remark on point five; I'm in search for the lock not the elbow ;)

Groeten Peter.
Peter,I was refering to the locks on the pump..
I also just checked my vette...I only have the shields for 2 & 4...not sure what others were on but I'll check....
as far as #10 goes,mine doesn't have the little arm that folds up and helps lock them into place,I believe its broken off.....

#8 starter brace is the same for 70 -82. Do you have catalogs from zip or anyone?? if not go on line and look up corvette parts and log on to those and contact them with your first email. They should be able to look and get you prices on most of them.

Hello everybody,

Thanks for the help so far. I have a Zip catalog somewhere when i ordered all the bearings, bushings and other things for the chassis. But the last couple of months i just looked at there website and the other side's like doc rebuild. So it's a good idea to check there catalog again! The question also partially is if the assembly manual is correct of that the sheet is from an older type vette and the item shouldn't be present (like 2 and 4 for example?)

The questions around number 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 are solved.
I appreciate the offer from Gerry very much! I'll pm you for some more questions :)

As for question number 1.
I had the top two big stickers with all the info. But my vette is going to the painter so I had to remove them. I tried to save them but removing them in one piece just wasn't possible. But I never seen the round sticker under the two big stickers. Should that also be present?
Question #8; I've found the starter brace on the zip site so ordering isn't any problem. I never had that brace on my vette but it seems logical to support the starter at the back of course. :)
But also in that picture there is number 3. The startmotorshield.. Does anybody have that on his c3?

Thanks everybody till so far for the input and search work! I'm one step closer in finishing the detailing of my engine bay :)

Groeten Peter.

Oke, I also found the solenoid heat shield in the zip catalog :)

Groeten Peter.

Peter when mine where destroyed 2 years ago b/4 while we were redoing the body on the vette.I don't recall that little round sticker under the other 2 stickers on the door

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom