Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 'Vetting process

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
The 'Vetting process

Corvette ZR1 is built for the racetrack, but can slink along city streets

By Mark Maynard
WHEELS EDITOR
The San Diego Union-Tribune

September 27, 2008

The Corvette ZR1 is the fastest production Corvette I've driven and the easiest Corvette to drive fast.

Its supercharged, 638 horsepower rolls on with such finesse that drivers with more money than driving skill may think they are more accomplished than they are.

Fortunately for them, this is a forgiving supercar. It works with the respectful driver to build confidence and to learn limits – and then surpass them. And to help car and driver arrive safely at their destination, an advanced driving course at Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch outside Las Vegas is included with the purchase.

Chevrolet has limited production to about 1,800 cars this year, and speculators are seeking $30,000 and more at online sites just for the right to buy the car. The base price of the two-seat sports car is $105,850, which includes the $850 freight charge and $1,700 gas-guzzler tax.

The cars are just now being delivered, and I have one in Maynard's Garage at this weekend's Coronado Speed Festival. Parked with it will be a 556-horsepower 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, which won't be on sale until November. Both cars are exclusive in San Diego.

The ZR1 is intended to be used on a racetrack. But as sly as this one is, the company knows it will be driven widely on the street. The base ZR1 is lean, with interior content similar to the previous ultimate Corvette, the Z06, including lightweight seats and limited conveniences. But a $10,000 interior option package adds power-adjustable, leather-trimmed and heated sport seats, side air bags, Bose audio, a navigation system, Bluetooth, a power telescoping steering column, a custom leather-wrapped interior available in four colors, and more.
The original Corvette performance engineer, Zora Arkus-Duntov, said: “All Corvettes are high-performance, it's just a matter of degree.” And degrees mattered in the engineering of the 2009 ZR1.

“This was a no-compromises program,” engineer Ron Meegan said.

The ZR1 was built (largely) to a standard, not to a budget. And that can be felt in how simply the dual-disc clutch engages gears and how cleanly the gears slot in the six-speed manual.

The supercharged LS9 6.2-liter V-8 is hand-built by one technician at the factory in Bowling Green, Ky. He signs off, and his name appears on an engraved tag on the engine.

The official horsepower is 638, but Meegan said that with gains from the supercharger, the total is closer to 708.

The motor is built as a race engine, for durability. It was was run at full throttle for 24 hours at a time. It was started cold at full throttle and run through hours of dynamometer testing. And when it was completed, the team designed a window in the hood to show off the motor.

Making the fastest Corvette was one target, overcoming resistance to increase speed was another. Although ZR1 has a number of aerodynamic features that stand out as almost ugly, what they do is beautiful.

“Spats” at the rear fenders are a brute-force method to keep air from being sucked into the wheel well, which adds drag, said Kirk Benion, who did the aero work.

“The rear spoiler shape is tuned for styling and function,” he said. “The smallest amount of kick-up in the shape generates huge down force.”

As fast as it goes, 205 mph, it has to stop as quickly. For that, ceramic Brembo brakes are used. They don't require warm-up and are low-noise. The front discs are a stunning 15.2 inches and 15 inches rear. One disc weighs about as much as a big dinner plate.

However, brakes are only as good as the tires. The planners worked with Michelin for the first time to develop a run-flat product with physics-defying parameters – sticky for cornering and launch force but comfortable for street driving – capable in the wet, not noisy and durable.

Michelin began with its Pilot Sport and engineers from both companies worked on the rubber's compounding recipe. Oddly, they found that the lightweight run-flat capability also enhanced inflated handling.

The result was the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Pressure. The front tires are 285/30R 19-inchers, with 335/25R 20-inchers rear. These are ultra-performance tires, yet Michelin engineers insist they expect tread life of 20,000 miles. Buyer beware: Expect to pay more than $500 for replacements.

But it's not about the money for the enthusiast who buys this car. It's about the exclusivity and technology for performance.

Until, of course, it's time to build the next ultimate Corvette.

Mark Maynard is driving in cyberspace at mark.maynard@uniontrib.com.

Good for the San Diego Union-Tribune. San Diego is one of my favorite towns- I've been there many times. Sadly, I've never had a Corvette to go tooling around in whenever I've been there.

I can just imagine how much fun it would be to go cruising around the Old Town district, or in La Jolla with a street-smart ZR1, then deciding to open it up on some of the rural roads heading somewhere like Palm Springs and back. Where's my lottery ticket- I need to see if I won last night.

• Admin
Good for the San Diego Union-Tribune. San Diego is one of my favorite towns- I've been there many times. Sadly, I've never had a Corvette to go tooling around in whenever I've been there.

I can just imagine how much fun it would be to go cruising around the Old Town district, or in La Jolla with a street-smart ZR1, then deciding to open it up on some of the rural roads heading somewhere like Palm Springs and back. Where's my lottery ticket- I need to see if I won last night.
Better yet - I'd rather have a new ZR1 to drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from Monterey down to San Diego and out to Palm Springs making stops in Carmel, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, La Jolla (God I love La Jolla...), Coronado Island and then non-stop to Palm Springs. :thumb

Better yet - I'd rather have a new ZR1 to drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from Monterey down to San Diego and out to Palm Springs making stops in Carmel, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, La Jolla (God I love La Jolla...), Coronado Island and then non-stop to Palm Springs. :thumb

The only problem with the PCH is that it becomes Main Street in a lot of the little towns you go through along the way. So you can't open up the throttle with any consistency. In terms of scenery, though, you have a great point: the photo opportunities alone would make the trip worthwhile.

So here's a compromise: take the ZR1 down the PCH, and enjoy the vistas. Then take a little trip through Las Vegas and across southern Utah on I-15 and I-70, where you can really go WOT.
:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom