Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking about a C4

JHL

Corvette
81 4 speed
Hi all,

Haven't posted here for ages since I sold my C3. I am sort of turning back to buying another Vette and at the moment older late 80's early 90's C4 are seriously cheap here in the UK with quite a few having been shipped in from Japan.

Now on the C3 it was nice and mechanical, broken was easy fixed but how about the electronics on these older C4's. Are they as reliable for an everyday car. The other minor problem if I do get one is that it will have to live outside through a wet and cold UK winter.

Your comments please

Cheers

J.

I bought my 90 with 69,000 miles on it in 05. It now has just over 90,000 miles on it. Things that I have repaired.
New brake pads
replaced two injectors
replaced intake gasket due to small oil leak
plugs ,wires ,rotor, and cap
clutch and flywheel this past month.

The electronics seem to be minimal problem. I drive it everywhere till the roads get snow and salt on them, then it sits till the roads clean off in the spring.

In general looking at post on this site , it seems the LT1s have a little more issues with sensors etc. than the late L98s do. But that may be because there might be more LT1s driven more miles at present. ;shrug

Glenn
:w

My neighbor and good friend has an 84 and I have a 96 Vette. Both have been very reliable and easy to work on. I've driven mine from 120F in Death Valley CA to -20F in Wyoming, and from the bone dry desert here in Nevada to the soaking cold rains in Seattle. It's handled any weather conditions easily. Wet, dry, hot, cold it really doesn't matter. I haven't had any electrical problems at all. I follow maintenance by the owner's manual, wash it, wax it and drive it anywhere. No worries!

I've had both the early model L98 and later LT1. I'd say from a reliability stand point a late model C4 with the LT1 is the better option. Although they have the dreaded opti-spark ignition, I still think its a better motor and a better car in general. The earlier L98 is a great motor too and easier to work on, but I've think they're prone to electrical issues.

The opti spark is nothing to be concerned about. I think opti problems are just over blown hype especially with the MSD units available. Just drive the Vette, service it regularly and enjoy it... JMHO...

I had a 1988 coupe with the L98 (pre-optispark). I bought it in 2002 with 88,000 miles on it. I drove it as my daily driver for four years. When I bought my 2002 convertible I stopped driving the '88 coupe and eventually sold it. When I sold it there were 167,000 mile on it and it still ran well. The buyer flew in and drove it home (about 500 miles). The electronic dash can be problematic but it can be rebuilt for about $500.

That was a very reliable car. Also, the car stayed outside. My wife's Denali lives in the carport. This is not a problem. I think C4s are a good value for the money.:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom