Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking of Chroming 1989 Wheels

potter22

Corvette
1989 Candy Apple Coupe
I was thinking of chroming my 1989 wheels on my car and was wondering what the pros and cons might be. If any one has done this or has suggestions I'd appreciate any help. Thanks Paul
P.S. I hope everyone here has a
Happy and Healthy New Year. ;)

I was thinking of chroming my 1989 wheels on my car and was wondering what the pros and cons might be. If any one has done this or has suggestions I'd appreciate any help. Thanks Paul

Chroming the wheels, especially of 88 and 89 Corvettes, is an especially good idea. I don't think I've seen any aftermarket wheels that look as good as the ones that are on 88 and 89 Corvettes. The clear coat on the wheels of my 88 'Vette needs to be re-done and I'm thinking of going chrome, too. The only suggstion I'd have would be to be sure about the warranty on your new wheels.

By the way - I checked your band's web site - there was nothing there. Check mine: darkeyes.net

Chroming the wheels, especially of 88 and 89 Corvettes, is an especially good idea. I don't think I've seen any aftermarket wheels that look as good as the ones that are on 88 and 89 Corvettes. The clear coat on the wheels of my 88 'Vette needs to be re-done and I'm thinking of going chrome, too.

As an alternative to chrome you might want to consider polishing your wheels. It's very labor intensive (a good winter project) but the results can rival chrome and you don't have to worry about the chrome pealing. Check this and other forums about how to do it.

I saved my baby's first shoes and purchased 89 wheels already chromed, oooh does baby look nice. :L

Just a picture of my 89 coupe with chromies my car never sees snow or salt so I don't know how the hold up in that put they sure look good on red:D
justwashedandwaxed001.jpg

They sure do, they really stand out on yours; on my white vette they get a little lost.

Chroming the wheels, especially of 88 and 89 Corvettes, is an especially good idea. I don't think I've seen any aftermarket wheels that look as good as the ones that are on 88 and 89 Corvettes.
I bought my '88 with those chromed original wheels.
I put my '88 in Corvette shows and the chromed wheels always get compliments. ;)

At one time I thought about getting chrome on my my 88's wheels but instead I had them professionally polished and re cleared. They look as good as new. I love the original look. Nothing wrong with the chrome effect however. Good luck.

At one time I thought about getting chrome on my my 88's wheels but instead I had them professionally polished and re cleared. They look as good as new. I love the original look. Nothing wrong with the chrome effect however. Good luck.

I had mine refinished and they look great. I thought about chrome but I think the aluminum finish actually looks better than the chrome. Original 88/89 wheels that are in excellent condition will still be much duller than refinished wheels because the clear coat becomes yellow or darker with age. Refinishing makes the aluminum very bright. I had clearcoat put on mine when they were redone but I guess you could skip the clear coat if you wanted. It's seems like it is very rare that I see the 88/89 wheels refinished since most owners get aftermarket wheels but when the 88/89 wheels are chromed or refinished I think they look best. :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom