Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throaty Sounding Exhaust

J

jodywitt

I am looking to replace the stock mufflers on my '94. I want something to give off that awesome attention getting throaty chevy sound but not being obnoxious in the cockpit.

I have heard the flowmasters are the way to go, any other experiences?

Thanks,

Jody

Ditto on the WELCOME! :beer

I have Magnaflows on mine. My car is fairly modded now but I do have a soundclip of just the mufflers on my pre-modded LT4.

Magnaflow mufflers
tail_end_sm.jpg

I used CORSA on my old 92 and was very pleased. Inside, it was nice and pleasant. Outside, people knew it was around. The kids in the neighborhood called it the loud car and one dog always barked when it went by.

I had Borla mufflers on my 96 LT4 for two weeks. I took them off due to the terrible drone at highway speeds.

My personal recommendation is

Magnaflow, with one of my X-pipes to help with resonance (and pick up an extra couple of HP).

jodywitt said:
I am looking to replace the stock mufflers on my '94. I want something to give off that awesome attention getting throaty chevy sound but not being obnoxious in the cockpit.

Thanks,

Jody

I like LOUD and OBNOXIOUS! :D

i went with muffler eliminators. granted this is with long tubes and no cats but it's not bad in the cockpit cruising. can still talk on cell phone and have normal conversations with no problem with the windows down and such.

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/photogallery/albums/Mad-Mic/Racing/Sweet_Sin.wmv

I went from the back of the cats all the way back with 2 1/2" pipe and put on flowmasters. Best as I can describe it, is a nice old school kind of sound. It purr's with a soft rumble at idle and normal driving and has a nice roar to it if I stick my foot in it. I will admit that there is a little bit of resonance that I hear mainly around 1700-2000 rpms...I think...I kinda got used to it so I don't really hear it anymore...lol. From what I'm hearing, this may be able to be eliminated with an X-pipe? As for the flowmasters, I'm very happy with them.

I have Flowmasters. They are loud and obnoxious. :D

jodywitt said:

Thanks,

Jody

You can do a search on this forum on any topic you wish. The subject of mufflers and exhaust has been covered many times and very extensively. You will find lots of info, personal experience, and opinions regarding replacement and aftermarket exhaust systems.
Welcome to the forum.
Terry

rascal_rascal_99 said:
I went from the back of the cats all the way back with 2 1/2" pipe and put on flowmasters. Best as I can describe it, is a nice old school kind of sound. It purr's with a soft rumble at idle and normal driving and has a nice roar to it if I stick my foot in it. I will admit that there is a little bit of resonance that I hear mainly around 1700-2000 rpms...I think...I kinda got used to it so I don't really hear it anymore...lol. From what I'm hearing, this may be able to be eliminated with an X-pipe? As for the flowmasters, I'm very happy with them.
Definitely!:lou

Magnaflows. Great deep throaty sound.
47b6da39b3127cce88d2f91f440400000016108AYsWbZm1aOK

I have Corsas. I really like them. Of course, that's the way I bought the car so I don't know how else it would sound. :D

IMG_0298.jpg

Looks like they need cleaned and polished again!

Jim

Thunder has 3¨ true duals with Radon hi-flow cats and 3¨ Stainless Targa mufflers. (Calling these things mufflers is like calling Bush a boy genius.:eyerole)

The ZR-1 has custom Jeal headers and exhaust.

Thunder is much louder than the Z. We changed the crossover pipe several times before we got the cabin quite enough to talk in. When we hit the sweat spot with the crossover the resonance almost disappeared inside the car but I still set off alarms with the tap of my right big toe on the happy pedal.:L

I was looking for Magnaflow for my '85, but could only find them for 86-91. does anyone know if they have a set for an '85?

So does an X pipe have to be placed in just the right spot on an exhaust for it to really work?

SPANISHVETTS said:
We changed the crossover pipe several times before we got the cabin quite enough to talk in. When we hit the sweat spot with the crossover the resonance almost disappeared inside the car but I still set off alarms with the tap of my right big toe on the happy pedal.:L

rascal_rascal_99 said:
So does an X pipe have to be placed in just the right spot on an exhaust for it to really work?
I am no expert; this is based on trial and error and what I have been told by people who know much more than me… I remember a thread about crossover pipes on the forum but it has been a few years since I saw it.

The resonance in the car is caused by standing waves. Throw a rock in a pond and watch the wave pattern. Now imagine that you threw rocks the right size at just the right time for each one to cause exactly the same wave pattern as the one before it. After a few rocks the wave peaks and valleys would get higher and lower and would appear to be stationary instead of moving; the waves become standing waves.

If you wanted to break up these standing waves you could either change the size or the timing of the tossed rocks or change the shape of the pond.

Your engine throwing constantly equal burst of gas into the exhaust system causes a standing wave pattern to be established. The frequency of these waves is determined by engine RPMs and the size and shape of your exhaust system. The idea of the X or crossover pipe is to break up the standing waves by mixing the peaks and valleys so that they cancel each other out.

So your exhaust system is basically a couple of organ pipes and the crossover tube is used to De-tune them. Both size and placement of the crossover tube will effect the resonant frequency.
:lou

John '85 said:
I was looking for Magnaflow for my '85, but could only find them for 86-91. does anyone know if they have a set for an '85?

Not for 85 unless you've got an 86 or later converter on - the converter flange is the only difference. You could always run true duals and cut off the Y section though..

Not for 85 unless you've got an 86 or later converter on - the converter flange is the only difference. You could always run true duals and cut off the Y section though..

Soooooo... an '86 converter would attach on the '85 system? that seems like a easy solution.

John

John '85 said:
Soooooo... an '86 converter would attach on the '85 system? that seems like a easy solution.
Well, sort of. The '84 and '85 use a larger, 4-bolt flange. The later, early C-4s use a 2-bolt flange and a different flare-type fitting. You could adapt either piece, with cutting and welding. Neither is a biggie for a decent exhaust guy.

I like the Flowmasters (second set), now fed through 3"ers; no crossover.

I believe C-4 resonance results fom the cavity aft of the cargo 'hold'. Perhaps the Flows have a reputation of more resonance due to their large, flattish design, which may feed that cavity with 'aimed' sound waves. More circular mufflers may have less 'directed' waves. I experienced virtually no change when shortening the tip length of my Flows.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance

A crossover pipe will double (8 cylinders' exhaust, vs. 4) the frequency of the exhaust pulses, changing the resonance to an RPM range that is not likely used for cruising; perhaps also smoothing the relative amplitude of the pulses within the system. It seems that a single-CAT exhaust already has comingling of the exhaust banks, but some claim the X-over still helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom