Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Kit

Gary6586

Corvette
'95 Torch Red Coupe
Anyone have any experience with the throttle body coolant line bypass? Seems kinda silly for GM to have designed this in the first place, but all Corvette suppliers offer this bypass kit. ;shrug

Before I go further, I want to canvass :CAC friends for their opinions and experiences.

It was designed that way to prevent throttle body icing. However for most of us, this condition will never happen. So in a sense, depending on what climate you live in, it is not necessary. Personally, I bypassed my TB with a couple of hose clamps, and a piece of pipe. I didn't waste any money on the overpriced kit. You can buy the kit, or be creative and do it yourself. There are people for and against this here on the CAC. If you do a search, I am sure you will bring up those discussions. If you are like me and just enjoy working on your car, go for it. However dont expect to see any seat of the pants improvement. It may be good for 2 hp.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks. That's what I thought: unnecessary labor, potential risk of breaking something, and expense -- when one can be driving (or waxing as the case may be . . . )

Gary

at temp less than abt 40* F, ice may form without heat

if you dont drive in those conditions, next time you have the t b off ,bypass it.
does make servicing a bunch less hassle without it

I've got a 94 and live in South Florida. You've got to wait for a cold night in January to get temperatures below 60 degrees so out with the coolant through the throttle body. On the right side of the engine I just replaced the hose eliminating the "T" hose going to the throttle body. On the left side, I dropped the "T", (the hose going from the throttle body to the radiator hose), but that leaves the split radiator hose, which I "spliced" together using a hose repair kit. However, if you check the Haynes manual page 1-6, you see an upper radiator hose without the throttle body "T" connection. So, next coolant flush, I'm going to go to Chevy and not ask for the 94 hose, I'm going to look for the single piece hose in the picture. I also plugged the open pipe connections in the throttle body with plastic caps to keep dirt and dust out.

Can anybody out there identify the year? The caption says 92 and later. To be more explicit, I'm looking for a single piece upper radiator hose for the LT-1 engine.

Dont waste your $ on the ebay kits.. They are junk and rarely have any useable parts in them.

I bought a couple of caps from the local Auto Parts store and a hose clamp.
Unhooked the TB and had plenty of hose already on the car to do the bypass.
Cap off the TB and attach the hose where you removed the shorter length past the TB.

Rain did it right, you just go from the hose to the metal pipe on passenger side directly.

It keeps the TB much cooler to the touch, not red hot as before. It's hot enough already under the hood, and this helps a little. Some climates and conditions could ice the TB and cause a big problem but it would be rare. A non-issue in Dixie!

Rain said:
Dont waste your $ on the ebay kits.. They are junk and rarely have any useable parts in them.

I bought a couple of caps from the local Auto Parts store and a hose clamp.
Unhooked the TB and had plenty of hose already on the car to do the bypass.
Cap off the TB and attach the hose where you removed the shorter length past the TB.

Just wondering....does doing this require draining of coolant? Or if one is just careful the amount of coolant that comes out is minimal? Any advantage to raising the front of the car?

Trying to avoid spilling coolant onto the engine.

LannyL81

I didnt spill any mentionable amount of coolant - did it when car had been sitting overnight.
DO, put a small rag below the TB to catch what is in the line incase it does spill.. (not that its THAT great of an amount to worry about)

It will give you cut nuckles, coolent maybe on the opti and no gain what so ever.
Not to mention a possiability of cracking a heater hose or breaking the brass raidator connector.

As Speedmaster4 already mentioned, throttlebody icing may occur at temperatures well above freezing/

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom