Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

throttle-body coolant bypass question

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
Me again... bought a "kit" for bypassing the coolant lines into the throttle body. Mostly the kit consisted of a brass fitting to connect the two existing hoses together, which was too small for the purpose. But it got me wondering - any reason why I can't just buy a longer piece of hose and connect it directly between the places that the throttle-body cooling lines run from? And are there any cons to doing this mod? I don't plan on driving the car a whole lot in the winter, so I can't imagine my throttle body would freeze up or anything, especially with how hot this engine gets.
Thanks...
[RICHR]

I didn't use a kit when I did it

If your existing hose is long enough (mine was) or you use a longer hose, you don't even need a kit. You just route the hose that leads to one side of the throttle body to the source of the hose coming from the opposite side of the throttle body. Simple mod, I don't know why it always takes buying a useless kit to figure that out (I had the same problem)

You're a local to me. If I didn't explain it all that well, send me a message. I'd be glad to actually show you what I mean.

The throttle bodies butterflies shouldn't freeze up even in the winter, since the intake passes enough heat to the TB from just being next to it.

No, your answer makes sense (it's what I was thinking of). My current hose isn't long enough, but that's easy to fix. How did you route yours around the AC and such? Realizing your engine is different...

Missed you at Capitol last Friday. Mad Mic said your car was in the shop or something?
[RICHR]

Last Friday? No, I was just out with friends.

What I did, since the hose that attaches to the driver's side of the TB comes all the way from the radiator on the passenger side, I just routed that hose to the source of the passenger side TB hose, which comes from a small copper pipe running from behind the intake manifold, along the passenger side below the fuel rail covers (the original hose had a 90 degree bend in it to fit to TB, so connecting the hose from the radiator was a straight-on fit).

Rich, I went to Checker's Auto parts and picked up a heater hose repair kit. It had two clamps and a connector that allowed you to join the two hose ends together right behind the AIR pump and AC compressor. The problem with a single piece of hose on our 86's is that you need that 90 degree curve as soon as the hose leaves the intake manifiold. A one piece hose will kink when you try to bend it. That's what I did onyway. The kit was less than 5 bucks if I remember right. Good Luck. :bu

PS I can take a pic if you think you need it.

Hm. the hose that's currently attached to the driver's side of the TB doesn't have a 90-degree kink, but it's kinda curved in a semicircle. I'll have to explore AutoZone and see what I can find.

Anyone use anything special to block the TB coolant intake/outlets?

I left em open, no need to block them, since they don't go anywhere, its just like having a small self contained cave going through your TB.

Well I guess it is more of a semi circle than 90 as I just went to look at it. Point is a regular heater hose would kink if the tried to use one piece. I took a pic for you. Hope it helps give you an idea. I also left the holes unplugged. Ain't like anything could nest in there and live!!! :L

Yep, that looks about like mine except my hose wasn't long enough to go around the AIR pump - had to go under it. Except that since the fitting was too small it's now disconnected again...

Man, your engine is clean...
[RICHR]

I'll get some car pics up this weekend. Thanks for the clean engine comment. I drive her daily and it is no small feat to keep her clean here in the desert with all the dust blowing around. I get my fiance to clean it!!!!.....just kidding. :J I only have 43 miles to go and break the 100k mark. :beer

Rich, here's a picture of the way I did it (just like Top ;)) on my old engine. Click it to blow it up.

Mine wasn't as clean as Top's though. :eek:

_ken :w

Ken, that looks like how I was routing the two hoses with the connector - under the AIR pump. And that engine looks a LOT more like mine in the dirt department :)

I've promised myself I'll get the engine steam-cleaned and such after I replace the rocker arms - that should be the last really dirty job I do for a while.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom