Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Thrust(?) washer

MiMitch

Corvette
1996 Coupe
I'm replacing my rear wheel brg.,again, on my '96. I finally got a shop manual and it shows a "wheel spindle washer" between the rr. brg.hub asm. and the rr. spindle. Does this act as a "thrust washer" between the brg. hub asm. and the spindle? I had the car serviced at a Chevy dealer and they replaced both rr.brg. hub asm's. I've had to replace the rt.rr. approx. every 10K miles or so. I was wondering if the lack of the "wheel spindle washer" would be the cause of that problem.
Thanks in advance for any and all help/info. MiMitch

You need that washer.

Did you verify the dealer left out the washer on that side?

You need that washer.

Did you verify the dealer left out the washer on that side?
There wasn't a washer there when I went to replace it today. I'm positive that it wasn't there when I replaced it previously. So, I'm sure that it wasn't replaced when the dealer did both brg's.
The other side still has the orig. brg. that the dealer replaced and I haven't had any problems with that side.
I'll stop by the dealer on Mon. and order the washer. Thanks for confirming that the washer is needed. MiMitch.

I'd like to know IF the dealer has them. I could use 4 of them, I think. The places I shopped for them did not have them and the closest I got was a 'like' washer for a 4wd. Interesting the washers show in some places and not in others; all GM literature. I have the Corvette pages from the parts manual and they are not listed. Various literature (I've no faith in the 3rd party manuals) says they are needed and others say not. I believe that my two '84 rear ends had the washer on the right side only and were not in reusable shape.

I put plenty of faith in Hib and a few others, here. :w

I'd like to know IF the dealer has them. I could use 4 of them, I think. The places I shopped for them did not have them and the closest I got was a 'like' washer for a 4wd. Interesting the washers show in some places and not in others; all GM literature. I have the Corvette pages from the parts manual and they are not listed. Various literature (I've no faith in the 3rd party manuals) says they are needed and others say not. I believe that my two '84 rear ends had the washer on the right side only and were not in reusable shape.

I put plenty of faith in Hib and a few others, here. :w
I wasn't able to get to the dealership on Fri.. I'll be going there Mon. AM and plan on bringing the shop manual. I noticed that it shows (2) different configurations for the washer. I'll let you know which one I ordered and the price/delivery from the dealer.
Thanks for your reply,MiMitch

In my previous reply I stated that there were (2) washer configurations. After looking closer to the (2) views, I believe that there is only (1) washer. The second view appears to show a cut-away section through the washer for clarity.
If anyone has any specific knowledge as to what it really looks like that would be helpful.
I'll check back later in the day (Sat.).
Thanks again for your help,MiMitch.

If anyone has any specific knowledge as to what it really looks like that would be helpful.
The washer that came out of mine was very thin, with a small lip, like it nestles against the seal.

GM parts direct did not have them and I think Summit has them; the same as for a 4WD. I am very interested in what your dealer says. Hopefully, it's good poop.

The washer that came out of mine was very thin, with a small lip, like it nestles against the seal.

GM parts direct did not have them and I think Summit has them; the same as for a 4WD. I am very interested in what your dealer says. Hopefully, it's good poop.
I should find out by late Mon. AM. Hopefully they'll have a better pic than what's in the manual.
Thanks for everyone's inquires and your replies, MiMitch

The rear wheel bearing thrust washer (GM P/N 14076924) is an essential component for the drive axle system. Without it, the wheel bearing will not receive the correct amount of preload tension during assembly likely affecting performance/longevity of the bearing.
One other obscurely related symptom caused by an excessively worn rear wheel bearing thrust washer (GM P/N 14076924) is the audible occurrance of a single loud click or pop sound coming from the rear half of the vehicle whenever the vehicle begins moving under it's own power but only after transitioning between forward and reverse direction of motion. This phenominon took me years to figure out.
Follow the Corvette Service Manual procedure when replacing the rear wheel bearings. For best results, be sure to clean and lubricate with engine assembly lubricant the spline surface of the half-shaft outer stub axle and both sides of thrust washer (GM P/N 14076924).

CYa,
ZFDoc

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to take a copy of this with me to the dealer in the AM. Is this part number the same for all C4 Vettes, or are it just for a certain model year? Thanks again for the info.
MiMitch

It is the same P/N for all C4 Corvettes.

The rear wheel bearing thrust washer (GM P/N 14076924) is an essential component for the drive axle system. Without it, the wheel bearing will not receive the correct amount of preload tension during assembly likely affecting performance/longevity of the bearing.
One other obscurely related symptom caused by an excessively worn rear wheel bearing thrust washer (GM P/N 14076924) is the audible occurrance of a single loud click or pop sound coming from the rear half of the vehicle whenever the vehicle begins moving under it's own power but only after transitioning between forward and reverse direction of motion. This phenominon took me years to figure out.
Follow the Corvette Service Manual procedure when replacing the rear wheel bearings. For best results, be sure to clean and lubricate with engine assembly lubricant the spline surface of the half-shaft outer stub axle and both sides of thrust washer (GM P/N 14076924).

CYa,
ZFDoc
Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to take a copy of this with me to the dealer in the AM. I see that you have a '96 also, so I'm assuming that this is the correct P/N. It makes me wish that I had bought a shop manual a lot sooner. It makes me wonder whether the Chevy dealer actually replaced both bearings or not when the car broke down in BF, S.Dakota, actually Philip,S.D.. Too late to do anything about it now.
Again thanks for the reply and the info. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome on Mon. AM.
MiMitch

Well I just got back from the Chevy dealer. I ordered the part (P/N 14076924) at the cost of $7.60 ea.. They said that it would be shipped out of Memphis and I should have them by Fri..
I would have replied sooner but I had to dig out of approx. 10 inches of snow this morning. God, how I hate that stuff.
I'd like to thank all that read and replied to my post, it is/was greatly appreciated. Hopefully someone else might be able to use this in the future. Again thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how everything turned out when I get the Vette on the road again.
MiMitch

Well I have the washer in my hand as I type. I would have thought that it was a lot thicker than it is. If I had to guess, I'd say the flange thickness is about .030 with the center piece being another .030 above the flange face.
I wish the manual showed a better pic as to how it goes on. I'm assuming from the pic in the manual that the raised center portion goes toward the brg. asm. and that the flange sits flush against the spindle face.
Any one that has any more info. or can be of any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any and all help, MiMitch

The local dealer does not stock them! Amazing; then, not.

Any one that has any more info.
From the '87 FSM: "Flat portion of washer should be firmly seated against shoulder of bearing die (yoke spindle asm) and lip of washer (outboard) facing splines (yoke spindle asm) prior to assembly of drive shaft and spindle asm into bearing and hub asm."

I think you'll see why this makes sense when you get into it.

Also, break the axles nuts loose with the wheels on the ground. I have two pretzel-shaped crow bars, one titanium, trying to do otherwise! An alternative may be using a very heavy duty air impact gun, like one for trucks for DISASSEMBLY only.

This is a great time to check and maybe replace the four half-shaft U joints. Ensure you get the strong design (don't have zerk fittings), like Spicer.

The local dealer does not stock them! Amazing; then, not.

From the '87 FSM: "Flat portion of washer should be firmly seated against shoulder of bearing die (yoke spindle asm) and lip of washer (outboard) facing splines (yoke spindle asm) prior to assembly of drive shaft and spindle asm into bearing and hub asm."

I think you'll see why this makes sense when you get into it.

Also, break the axles nuts loose with the wheels on the ground. I have two pretzel-shaped crow bars, one titanium, trying to do otherwise! An alternative may be using a very heavy duty air impact gun, like one for trucks for DISASSEMBLY only.

This is a great time to check and maybe replace the four half-shaft U joints. Ensure you get the strong design (don't have zerk fittings), like Spicer.
Thanks for the reply. I put the washer and brg. asm. in late yesterday afternoon before the snow was schedule to start.
Unfortunately, I think that I might have done some other damage to the drive train. It made quite a bit of noise when I drove it last night. I don't know when I'll be able to look at it. I have to work outside and there 's quite a bit of snow.
Again thanks for the quick reply and as you stated, the washer it can only go in one way, with the large face against the spindle and the projection facing the brg. asm.
I'll get back with you all when I gwt a chance to re-examine the car.
Again thanks for all your replies,MiMitch.

The GMdirect price was good, but it took five friggin days from order/payment for any indication of shipment! Then a note, after I inquired when I might expect the parts, that the expected shipment would occur two days ago, yet they had not even picked up the parts!

Late as usual...

rearsusp.jpg

I took the Vette for a quick ride. The noise is still there. I guess it didn't heal itself over the past few weeks. The noise is louder under acceleration than at steady speed or deceleration . I jacked up the car and looked at both sides while running. Didn't appear to be any tire/wheel/alignment problems. The tires ran "true" w/o any variation on either side of the car.The noise is definitely coming from the bearing/hub area. I rotated the tires by hand and didn't "feel" any difference from one side to the other.The only difference when I installed this ass'm. was the addition of the "thrust" washer. I'm almost certain that I placed it on the spindle correctly . It seemed obvious when put on the spindle that there is only one way to do it.
My question, after this long explanation,is: Can a bearing ass'm. be "bad" from the manufacturer ? I rotated the new "brg. ass'm." by hand prior to installing it and didn't notice anything . Is there anyway to test the brg. w/o any special tools ?
Again, thanks in advance for any and all replies.
MiMitch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom