Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time for a Tune Up?

ICOMP

Corvette
2007 Black Z51 Coupe and 2004 Magnetic Red Coupe
Hello!

My '04 Coupe is on the verge of 70,000 miles. It stll runs great, but the engine has never seen a tune up to date. I've kept up with the standard oil and fiter changes and drivetrain lubricants. My question is, when is it time for a full fledged tune up, and what do I want to have done? Thanks in advance for your input!

Icomp

I'm no mechanic, but when I hit 70k on my 2001, I went ahead and changed the plugs and wires. Probably should change the PCV valve, too. Check the belts too.

Today, there really isn't such a thing as a "full-fleged tune-up" as it was in the old days when our parents tuned-up their car.

For an 04, with 70,000 miles, I'd replace the spark plugs, the plug wires and the two front oxygen sensors.

I'd also do some stuff most people would not characterize as "tune-up" work. If it's been more than 36,000 miles or three years, I'd change the trans fluid and the rear axle lubricant. I'd flush the cooling system. I'd flush and bleed the brakes. If your car is a manual, I'd flush and bleed the hydraulic clutch system.

I'd pull all the wheels and inspect the brakes to see if new pads are needed.

I hadn't thought about the O2 sensors, that's a good suggestion.

Today, there really isn't such a thing as a "full-fleged tune-up" as it was in the old days when our parents tuned-up their car.

For an 04, with 70,000 miles, I'd replace the spark plugs, the plug wires and the two front oxygen sensors.

I'd also do some stuff most people would not characterize as "tune-up" work. If it's been more than 36,000 miles or three years, I'd change the trans fluid and the rear axle lubricant. I'd flush the cooling system. I'd flush and bleed the brakes. If your car is a manual, I'd flush and bleed the hydraulic clutch system.

I'd pull all the wheels and inspect the brakes to see if new pads are needed.

Thanks Hib. Frankly, I can't believe how well the car still performs!

Icomp

I'm no mechanic, but when I hit 70k on my 2001, I went ahead and changed the plugs and wires. Probably should change the PCV valve, too. Check the belts too.

Cool! Thanks for responding...

Icomp

Hib, could you please explain why you suggested the two front oxygen sensors be replaced? My 2000 will be reaching
that milestone probably next year, and I would like to understand why I should be looking at doing this as well. I don't
have any track record on what to expect with the C5's and would welcome the info. Thanks in advance!
Andy :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom