Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time to look at new tires

I went from GY originals to Michelin's on my C5 and I liked 'em a lot better .I'm getting ready to replace the tires this summer on my C6 and I would like to buy Michelin's.

I am a buy American person and I ask or read labels.I knew when I bought my last set that it was a French company but was told made in the USA .My decision will be based on where they are made .In this economic climate it's important to buy American (US or Canada)

Just a quick story to go along with this thread....

I was at Discount Tire getting a tire on my SUV repaired last week. While I was there, I asked the guy if they carried the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs and just out of curiosity how much they were there. I told him that I wasn't ready for tires yet, but like to scout prices for when the time comes...just looking ahead. He said that they did carry them or could get them easy and then told me how much they charge. He then said, "But if you are like so many Corvette owners I've known, the tires you have will rot first before they wear out." I had to laugh at that one....he just might be right.
;LOL

I replaced the Goodyear EMT tires on my Corvette two years ago with Cooper Tires. I believe they are the Cooper zeon a/s. Very happy with these tires as they handle well ,ride nice and they are quiet. My son replaced the tires on his Ferrari f360 this past fall. The car only had 7900mi but since it is a 2001 he was getting worried about integrity. He was ready to put Pirelli back on but a few of the people in his Ferrari club recommended the Hankook Ventus V12 evo. He ended up going with the Hankook from Discount Tire and is very happy with them. He first discounted them when shopping because the price was so low but it goes to show that sometimes you're best asking around!

I He ended up going with the Hankook from Discount Tire and is very happy with them. He first discounted them when shopping because the price was so low but it goes to show that sometimes you're best asking around!

You know I put a set of those Hankook Ventus V4s on my '89 C4. I was feeling a little cheap because I had been thinking about selling it (which I did). I honestly can't say anything negative about them and was pleasantly surprised by them. I doubt I'd put them on my C5 though as I like run flats on it.

Hankooks on a Ferrari = that just isn't right.;LOL

I put non-run flat Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires on my Vette and thus far am very happy with them.

I quit the run flats as in my area no one can remove one from a non-stock rim without destroying either the tire or the rim (and its takes an exprert with a stock rim to avoid ruing the tire). So if you have a flat and don't trust a plug, you must replace the tire if you have a flat. And as no one stocks Vette sizes, if you have a flat you're probably down and out for a day or two with run flats. With non run flats I can get the tire fixed if I have a flat.

My wife's 2007 Cadillac DTS Performance Model has 245/50/18 tires and with 50K miles needs new tires. As all Michelins to fit this size had very poor reviews (about 4.5 of 10), so we ordered Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires (8.5 of 10 rating); the Serenity has a 440 (4.4 times the life of the standard test tire) wear rating and is supposedly a very, very quiet tire (which is one of the reasons to drive a $60K Cadillac).

tirerack.com still shows availability for the 'stock' Goodyear F1 GS tire for the C5. ~$1284+shipping.

I used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs on my '03 and was very happy with them. The second owner (my co-worker) is still using the Michelin tires on the car and my boss is using them on his '03. While the Michelin tires may not comply with GM's tire specifications for the C5, I never had any problem with them.

I have a 1999 hardtop. It now has about 14000 miles on it, but the Goodyears it came with were rock hard. The car felt like a buckboard over bumps, and slid the rear end around if the power was on around a curve. Today I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses, which got the best reviews of run-flats at Tire Rack. Wow! What a difference. The car rides like a modern sports car should. Also, there is very little noise. I know that these are all-purpose, as opposed to high performance, tires, but how often do I race? Also, the price is right-$1050 complete. The dealer said that a lot of Vette people are buying these tires.

Review of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires

After driving my 1999 hardtop for a full spring, summer and fall, with the newly installed Michelin Pilot Sports, I have to give the tires a grade of "A." It is a run flat tire, like the factory Goodyears. Its ride is firm, but much more comfortable. It isn't nearly as noisy. Best of all, it performs better than the Goodyears. With the traction control "off" on twisties, on a dry surface, the tires break traction gradually, allowing the driver to make correction, and get out of the corner quickly and smoothly. I am very happy with them. And I believe that they are made right here in the good old USA.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom