Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time to upgrade that old C5

TODD L GRIFFITH

Corvette
99' MR Coupe, 04' Silverado 03' ZO6 Sold
With the new high hp foreign cars coming out, the release of a more potent Viper and the new supercharged Z coming, the need to upgrade those older 345hp-350hp C5 Coupes has become even more apparent to save yourself from being out right embarrassed, or humiliated on the road by an exotic, even a sedan.

Last October I purchased a 99' C5 Coupe with 30K miles. I just sold my 550hp 03' ZO6 and now is time with all this experience and knowledge behind me to do something else, something alittle more sophisticated, something with alot more power, and alot more quiet. :L The 99' is going under the knife for a new engine transplant, clutch, wheel and suspension upgrade, to become an unassuming exotic killer.

After knowing what engines and parts are available out there, you have to ask yourself what you want, and what are your goals to get you there. I must admit that the least amount of compromise on this project will make me feel like I let myself down. Every move must count. It may be impossible to totally do without compromise, but be true to yourself and you can end up with something that will be the result of your dream, and something that you'll never be ashamed of.

Hopefully I've got someones attention, someone that has been thinking the same thing. I'd love to hear about what your plans are and share my own.

With the new high hp foreign cars coming out, the release of a more potent Viper and the new supercharged Z coming, the need to upgrade those older 345hp-350hp C5 Coupes has become even more apparent to save yourself from being out right embarrassed, or humiliated on the road by an exotic, even a sedan.

Not meaning to go off an a tangent form your actual request, an exotic maybe, but what sedan are you likely to come accross that will embarrass even a base C5?

warren s said:
what sedan are you likely to come accross that will embarrass even a base C5?
BMW M6 for one

I am curious what the OP has in mind to achieve an "unassuming exotic killer" that is also quiet.

BMW M6 for one

I am curious what the OP has in mind to achieve an "unassuming exotic killer" that is also quiet.
Yup, the M6 wouldn't be a pretty sight in the rear view. There are alot of fast sedans, and alot more power is starting to show up in them also. 500hp isn't especially what it used to be. It's starting to become more common. That 345 or 350hp isn't going to cut it anymore.

BMW M6 for one

Haha, that is the trick. Quiet is very hard to do, but quieter than my old 03 Z with the Borla Stingers might be doable.

BMW M6 for one

The M6 is a $100,000 car that runs the quarter in the high 12s. If I had one of those, I would be embarresd by having a run of the mill C5 worth 20 grand right on my ass. (Assuming the C5 is bone stock)

The M6 is a $100,000 car that runs the quarter in the high 12s. If I had one of those, I would be embarresd by having a run of the mill C5 worth 20 grand right on my ass. (Assuming the C5 is bone stock)
Run of the mill C5 is looking at 13's in the quarter and not low 13's either.

Run of the mill C5 is looking at 13's in the quarter and not low 13's either.

My 99 ran a 13.12 even with my sloppy bog and go start. Flowmaster mufflers and a K&N air filter with the zip-tie mod. Thats pretty run of them mill car to me.

ANYWAY - There will always be a faster car out there, speed costs money- how fast do you want to go?

Good luck with the project.

My 99 ran a 13.12 even with my sloppy bog and go start. Flowmaster mufflers and a K&N air filter with the zip-tie mod. Thats pretty run of them mill car to me.
The LS engines respond well to any mods., but a full second at say 113mph is a 165 foot separation. Given 18ft. per car, you are looking at 7 car lengths against an M6 in your case.

Katech Street Attack was developed with the same goals as my build. Here is what they say about it.

The Katech Street Attack Z06 has been available since mid-2006, but since we are now a CF sponsor I thought I would sum up all the information for those seeking this unique and customizable serialized vehicle package.

The Street Attack Z06 was developed here by Katech engineers. Our goal was to take the best Corvette ever made and make it even better. One of our primary goals was drivability. You have to be able to use the car or else what is the point. We developed a camshaft that offers tons of torque, but still idles well and you can drive around town. The package is fully customizable. You can pick and choose the options you want or even suggest your own. If you don't have a Z06 yet we can facilitate getting the car for you and have excellent dealer connections without outragous pricing. A couple of our customers have had the car shipped right from the dealer to Katech, never even seeing the car until modification was complete. When the car is delivered to you once complete, the engine is completely broken-in and you can begin driving as you wish. No break-in period is necessary. The car is serialized with documentation.

The LS engines respond well to any mods., but a full second at say 113mph is a 165 foot separation. Given 18ft. per car, you are looking at 7 car lengths against an M6 in your case.

The BMW's published test results are between a 12.8 and a 12.9 (Edmunds.com).

Compared to a 13.1. Three tenths is alot in drag racing. But comparing apples to oranges is difficult.

10 second streetable is a very attainable goal wit the C5 and LS engine platform

The Action Center's Version Of ... :eyerole

Eddie "Wrong Way" Corrigan!

Let me get this straight ... you sold a Z06 .... to get a base 1999 ... ?? :bash

Most of us **** and moan that we bought the base car and then look at the costs to get the power of the Z car and realize how dumb we were not just putting up the money right the first time.

For that matter, just last week, I pulled over to look at a Z for sale around the corner. It looked a bit beat and the guy didn't have a price on it but his little sign in the window said ... custom exhaust, extra set of wheels & tires .... $85,000 invested.

;squint:

The Action Center's Version Of ... :eyerole

Eddie "Wrong Way" Corrigan!

Let me get this straight ... you sold a Z06 .... to get a base 1999 ... ?? :bash
Your assumption with the beating head is clearly not the case, but I'll forgive you for lack of information. :L

I had two Corvettes, a 99' Coupe and the 03'Z. After 10 years of chasing money with my business, I decided to close the doors and go to work for a big firm to ensure I got a paycheck every 15 days instead of waiting 90 days or even a year. Doing so, I took a 50 thousand dollar paycut, but I know when I'm getting paid, and I'm still making over six figures anyway. It wasn't such a bad deal for me and my family. I just have 4 daughters college bound very soon. ;) To relieve some debt, I sold the more expensive Vette, the 03 Z. Now with the 30K mile 99' Coupe left, I can now give her the best of everything. I always kicked myself for trading my 99' FRC for the Z knowing what I know now about building LSx engines. So I'm ready to make this 99' something that will be alot faster than my Z without being as radical and loud.
I'm interested what others are doing to theirs over the winter. As long as I'm completely finished for Carlisle, I'll be a happy camper.

Not that I'm looking to do a project like yours but if i was I would be looking at bigger cubes and FI of some sort with some headers and a stock z06 exhaust.

I know you are a lot more knowledgeable about this 'stuff' than I. Keep us updated I enjoy reading about big vette projects like this.

Just kidding ... but couldn't pass that up. ;)

With my son going off to college and me retiring soon I am going to have some very tough choices to make, and sadly the Vette may be one of them.

I will not even be able to cover a third of my property taxes here in NJ with my retirement check. We will probably have to sell our home, even though the mortage is chump change.

Not that I'm looking to do a project like yours but if i was I would be looking at bigger cubes and FI of some sort with some headers and a stock z06 exhaust.

I know you are a lot more knowledgeable about this 'stuff' than I. Keep us updated I enjoy reading about big vette projects like this.
There is a new crate engine coming out from GM Performance Parts, it's a LSX 454ci., but I haven't seen it yet. I'm starting to think it was a rumor. :L My build, L92 427ci isn't exactly small, but should get pretty good fuel economy. This is getting LS7 heads after comparing them with the L92 heads over the summer at Carlisle. No brainer there, it's very obvious that the LS7 head is far superior in flow. I'm buying these bare then reworking them, then adding a COMP 8000rpm valvetrain. The biggest challange I see is cam selection. This will most likelywill end up being a custom grind with almost a stock duration, but alot of lift. Clutch has been spec'ed out as a new twin disc setup with a stock pedal feel from fradenza. I must go with a 2 piece LS2 timing cover just in case my cam selection doesn't work as planned, but I've done the research first. I really don't know if I will be adding a procharger to this setup, so I need to make up my mind in a hurry on piston and head selection whether it will be low compression, or a friendly 11.0:1 compression N/A. It will be over 500rwhp anyway. Exhaust is got to be either Kooks 1-7/8" LT's or if I can manage to bend pipe to the 2" Stainless Works LT'S. It has to remain somewhat quiet but not super loud. The Stainless Works 3" mufflers are a must have. Additional quiet work will need to be done with the use of high flow cats, because I don't want to go the illegal, no pollution route again, been there done that. Hope you like what I'm doing, but suggestions are very welcome and open for discussion.

Just kidding ... but couldn't pass that up. ;)

With my son going off to college and me retiring soon I am going to have some very tough choices to make, and sadly the Vette may be one of them.

I will not even be able to cover a third of my property taxes here in NJ with my retirement check. We will probably have to sell our home, even though the mortage is chump change.
N.J. is expensive for sure. I had no quams about giving up the Z06. It had alot of power and never got embarrassed by anything it ran against. I basically look at it as I'll always get another one eventually, but probably a C6Z the next time as a super duper starting point. Can't get much better than that. A stock C6Z with just a forged piston swap and a F1 procharger made almost SAE 800rwhp according to a recent blurb in Vette magazine. That is insane. Hopefully you will keep your Vette among those tough choices. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom