Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time to upgrade that old C5

A bit of a tangent....but I just gotta say, I can't think of anything that would embarrass a C5. An M6 is far, far more expensive.

No other car is a better all around bang for the buck. 350 horsepower, world class handling, knockout looks, for around $20k, give or take a few grand depending on the year.

Nothing touches that.

A bit of a tangent....but I just gotta say, I can't think of anything that would embarrass a C5. An M6 is far, far more expensive.

No other car is a better all around bang for the buck. 350 horsepower, world class handling, knockout looks, for around $20k, give or take a few grand depending on the year.

Nothing touches that.

I hear that Brett, but what about that ZR1, a car I would love to have in my garage. Nothing touches that either. :upthumbs

Sounds like a fun project. I think that you will really like the 427. It should meet your goals nicely including getting decent mileage.

Sounds like a fun project. I think that you will really like the 427. It should meet your goals nicely including getting decent mileage.
How are you enjoying it?? Nice setup for sure. Have you gotten any dyno numbers yet, and how is the fuel economy?

Too Much Is Never Enough

Todd and gang,

Hey guys, I don't know which one of you it was that said "no matter how much horse power you get, you always want more". I couldn't agree more. A couple of years ago I sent mine out to Lingenfelter and loved it. But I'm already thinking about getting some more HP. My wife thinks I should start seeing an analyist.
Remo:cool

2000870517379426290_rs.jpg

I absolutely love it. I used a mild cam (for a 427) so the car is completly drivable. I only have around 1k miles on it so far. I am getting 14 mpg in city driving and and 24 mpg on the highway. I expect it to come up some once I get some more miles on it.

I did the tuning myself and I certainly don't claim to be a pro tuner. I managed to get 494 rwhp and 492 rwtq out of it.

How are you enjoying it?? Nice setup for sure. Have you gotten any dyno numbers yet, and how is the fuel economy?

Todd and gang,

Hey guys, I don't know which one of you it was that said "no matter how much horse power you get, you always want more". I couldn't agree more. A couple of years ago I sent mine out to Lingenfelter and loved it. But I'm already thinking about getting some more HP. My wife thinks I should start seeing an analyist.
Remo:cool

2000870517379426290_rs.jpg

It's like a big snowball for sure. +500hp isn't enough once you get used to it. I'm only looking for a natural 600hp or so, but have thoughts of adding a procharger. 11.0:1 or 9.0:1 that is the question on compression. I hope to have this project finished by Carlisle. I'm sure I'll be seeking you and Guy's location to show you how I made out.

I absolutely love it. I used a mild cam (for a 427) so the car is completly drivable. I only have around 1k miles on it so far. I am getting 14 mpg in city driving and and 24 mpg on the highway. I expect it to come up some once I get some more miles on it.

I did the tuning myself and I certainly don't claim to be a pro tuner. I managed to get 494 rwhp and 492 rwtq out of it.

That's excellent power and the torque number is huge. It must pull like a bast***! I'm thinking mild cam myself, I've lived with the big lope before and need better drivability and hearing this time around. ;) On your dyno pull did you happen to see the A/F ratio? I'm curious if you were above 12.5:1.

I was actually tuning for 13:1. I am going to be doing some more mods (Halltech Killer Bee CAI, Weiand Street Warrior intake manifold) and will be renting the dyno again to tune. I plan on tuning for 12.8:1 at that time.

Here is the dyno sheet:

f4a564f4b0.jpg

Here is the engine:

b61ca46ac0.jpg

Holy ****! Wow that engine looks sweet!! The tuning looks balls on too. Let us know how you make out with the new mods. I'll be hoping to hear over 500rwhp because I know how being that close is and I know you want to cross that threshold or am I wrong? hehe ;)

You are quite right. I need a dyno sheet (with no cheating) that says 500+. :D

I am not a bling kind of guy but I did splurge for the Katech valve covers (can't get the Corvette insert any more) and the MSD coils.

That is only the second time that I have tuned a car myself so I am happy with the result...but I am sure that there is more in it once I learn more about tuning.

You might want to check out the Halltec C5 Killer Bee CAI for your build. It is all 104mm throughout. It also converts over to use the new blade style MAF. I still need to adjust mine. It sits a little bit high. Jim Hall claims something like 25hp on a stock C5 Z06.

You are quite right. I need a dyno sheet (with no cheating) that says 500+. :D

I am not a bling kind of guy but I did splurge for the Katech valve covers (can't get the Corvette insert any more) and the MSD coils.

That is only the second time that I have tuned a car myself so I am happy with the result...but I am sure that there is more in it once I learn more about tuning.

You might want to check out the Halltec C5 Killer Bee CAI for your build. It is all 104mm throughout. It also converts over to use the new blade style MAF. I still need to adjust mine. It sits a little bit high. Jim Hall claims something like 25hp on a stock C5 Z06.
What are you running for a throttlebody? That intake sound nice I'll look into it for sure.

I am running the LS2/LS7 throttle body that came on the L76 intake.

C5 Killer Bee

I just took a picture of the Killer Bee for you. You can see the large diameter and the new style MAF.

I haven't finished the installation. I decided to go to a dual catch can setup. I ordered them from CCA and FexEx just delivered them. As soon as it warms up a little I will finish up.

c05b5d43b0.jpg

I had the same throttlebody on my Z with the FAST 90 intake. I ported mine because if you look at it dead on, the butterfly valve is definitely shrouded. You can eliminate alot of material at the base of the inlet. I couldn't believe I could actually feel the difference. I've become quite good at porting just about anything. People send me their TB's. I've done LT1's, quite a few stock C5's, but the best results have been the LS2/7 TB for sure. I like using the Drummel polishing balls at the end for almost a chrome like finish.

I may have to think about doing that. What do you charge port a throttle body? Does the tune have to be altered for the ported throttle body?

I may have to think about doing that. What do you charge port a throttle body? Does the tune have to be altered for the ported throttle body?
I usually end up doing it for cost for fellow Vette owners as a service to the brotherhood. ;) The current tune should be fine I would imagine, if anything, you may have to add alittle fuel back in.

Thats a deal! :beer

You may be hearing from me soon...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom