Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Timing gear noise

V

vmrod

I removed my timing chain cover (to replace with a chrome cover), and it appears that my chain is a little loose looking. I need to research to see how much slack is tolerated. (chime in anyone)

If I have to replace the chain/gears, I wanna get one of the timing gear sets. They have 2 types. A noisy set and a quieter set. Has anyone heard these before (in person)? The sidepipes are throaty already, so I'm not afraid of more noise. But is it too noisy sounding? A jet plane engine sound might be cool...

I put a Cloyes double roller timing chain and gear set in when I rebuilt my 82. If I remember correctly, there was about 3/8" side to side play in the chain. Some folks say that if you have a Hi-perf engine, that you should use a single roller chain, but mine's not hi-perf. Nice and quiet.

Hi,

When I built my engine I put a Pete Jackson Noisey gear set in it and it is just that. If it is your daily driver the novelty will wear off in about a week, it is loud, but as I only used mine now and again I could live with it but only just :D I have a short video which I will try and find and email it to if you want to give me an addy.

Cheers

J.

Get a good set and change ti out now. There should be no slack in the chain. I returned a new CC set because of this. Also be aware of imprts using name brands. Soem of the known brands that run about $50-$100 show up for $30 they are not the same quality. Do it right now invest in a good set. I used the Edelbrock double roller set and had very good luck with itbut any of "Good" brands in Jegs or Summit will work.

I had a talk with the supplier of the short block I'm buying and he told me that the gear sets rob H.P.! He said they will steal 10-15 H.P. I think I'll stick to a standard timing set.

Don't use gear drive ... bad for motor ... hard on front main cap ... you'll probably end up hating the noise ... it'll mask more subtle sounds when you TRY to troubleshoot stuff ... motorheads may roll eyes when they hear your/you're whining. I build circle track motors ... NO ONE around here uses gear drive ... I spend more on chain sets than what some gear drives cost.

Get a good roller-chain timing set .... best out there is "Rollmaster" made in Australia with German "IWIS" chain ... pricey. A very nice set for a moderate performance street sbc C3 is Cloyes P/N 9-1100 ... about $30 at summit.
JACK:gap

Absolutely change out your timing chain!
Mine had slack and the result was #2 piston kissed the intake valve; dented the piston top, bent the intake valve, bent the pushrod AND bent the cam! :eek
We rebuilt and used a Cloyes timing chain.
Heidi
280000miles2intakevalve.jpg

My current chain/gear is not noisy. I was inquiring into the noise factor for a new gear set. A gear set has no chain, but a series of gears which keep the engine in time. These gears make a whining sound and I wanted to know how annoying this was.

In any case, I bought an Edelbrock chain/gear set. I've removed my old chain/gears, now I am having problems installing my new crank sprocket. I think I need to retap the threads within the crank. (!) (It's always something!!)

I ran a set for one summer, got tired of saying. No that's not my water pump, so I switched back to a good roller chain. Just my 0.2

TJay said:
I ran a set for one summer, got tired of saying. No that's not my water pump, so I switched back to a good chain. Just my 0.2

Same here , Its kinda cool for the first 5 min. Then you have to hear the whine everywhere you go.. sound like you are loosing a power steering pump or tranny bearings or pump... People look at your car not like its cool but like , "he's not going to get much farther in that one". Only the car guys know what it is and it is so 80's now .Most people that had them only ran them so people would think they had a blower. As a matter of fact , It was part of the advertising... Get that blower whine , fool your friends ... As far as timing goes, get a roller !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom