Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Timing...

Jerrylee

A few weeks ago I had a rattle when I punched the gas which turned out to be nothing more then a timing issue which was quickley rectified...Now I'm getting the same noise just not as bad......What could cause the timing 2 go out of wack again.....Thanx again....Jerrylee///

Hi Jerrylee,
If you had timing chain deflection you would most likely see it with a timing light on your degree wheel timing marks jumping around erratically. Could be a host of problems here, distributor springs to weak, vacuum diaphragm in the vacuum advance going out. Are you using ported vacuum on your vacuum advance or manifold vacuum? If you’re running ported vacuum then try direct vacuum off the manifold, remember to plug the ported nipple of the carburetor. In most parts of the country there are two types of fuel, summer and winter. Winter fuel is more volatile for easier cold starts and burns quicker. Summer fuel is much slower burning.
Hope this helps,
Brian

Sometimes it's the simple things. Make sure you tightened the distributor hold down nut enough.

I agree. I had a 68 chevy truck where the clamp/hold down for the dizzy wouldn't hold position. I had to adjust timing about every couple hundred miles.

in line with the above two posts check the length of the hold down bolt, if it is too long it will "Bottom" giving the illusion of being tight. The proper length of thread engagement is 1.5 times the dia of the bolt or @ 9/16 for a 3/8 bolt

Very good point bossvet. happened to me once. very frustrating to find the problem. maybe just different grade (lower octane)of gas than last tank.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom