Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Tire Advice

adfac

Corvette
1986 Dark Red Convertible
I want to replace my tires on an 86 vert (P255 50R16). I have 2 Centennial Interceptor ZR-X tires (I have no idea who makes them) on the front. They're getting pretty brittle. I have 2 Mirada Sport GT (99V) on the back which I kinda like. I know these are made by Yokohama. I've always owned Michelins and have had good luck with them but I don't have a clue what is good and what is not for this kind of tire. There aren't many manufacturers who are still making a P255 50R16. I know BF Goodrich makes a G4 for around $160 and I'm told I can get a Toyo for about $259 each. I want to get a good set of 4 and I really don't care how much they cost as long as they're good, dependable tires that will last. I was wondering if anyone with experience could give me an idea of what would be a good tire and which ones to stay away from. Thanks for any help.

Sources for the 255/50ZR16s used on the early C4s are limited are, unfortunately, dominated by lower-end products.

One of the few legit ultra-performance offerings is the Dunlop and for about six months, I've been testing the SP Sport 8000. See:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/105637-84-87-tires-pt-2-a.html

Great write-up! I found the Dunlops @ tirerack.com and they're only $113 each. You're right about the BF Goodrich ... they're showing up everywhere. Thanks for the info.

The Sumitomos I'm running ($85 online) seem to do nicely, and perform in the wet as well as the various flavours of Goodyear Eagles I've had on my '86.

I dont mean to hi-jack a thread but I have a related tire question.

What is the widest tire you can run on a stock C-4 rim? My stock rims have 255's on the fronts and 285's on the backs. How wide can I go in the back on the stock rim?

Thanks

What is the widest tire you can run on a stock C-4 rim? My stock rims have 255's on the fronts and 285's on the backs. How wide can I go in the back on the stock rim?

Thanks

They put 315's on the 96 gs's. the coupes had a wider body to cover the tire, the verts had a flare for the same. you could put the flare on a coupe if you needed to.
i'm sure other's can reply with better info too.
of course there's the wheel issue too. you'll need wider rims for really wide tires. i was going to go the flare route until i found that 89 style 11" rims cost $1500 each if you could find them at all. some were made for pre-release zr1's. good luck.

Thanks

Ummm sorry i didnt read your entire post. you said stock rims. i think you're already as wide as you can go on 9.5 rims. i don't think there is a 295 tirwe made.

I went through the same selection process last summer for my ‘86. I had a set of BFG T/As that were worn out and I wanted to stay with the stock size. Base on what I had read I was about to go with BFG G-Force until I read that they were an ultra high performance “summer only” tire. I called tire rack and they said they were not good if you use your car in temperatures below 40 degrees. I drive my vette year round unless there is moisture on the roads. Where I live the temperature can go below freezing so The G-Force tires were not for me. I went with the Yokohama V4 and I can’t be happier. They are much quieter than my old T/As and they definitely grip better.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom