Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Tire ratings

2fast

Corvette
96 CE LT4 vert. plus 2015 C7 Z51
Can any one tell me the original GM factory W or weight code rating for 96' LT4 CE convertible. I have Kumhos now that need replacing and there rating is W98, but have not been able to find original vette spec.

Last edited:
Can any one tell me the original GM factory W or weight code rating for 96' LT4 CE convertible. I have Kumhos now that need replacing and there rating is W98, but have not been able to find original vette spec.
The data contained in the CAC website is incredible. Hope this helps, you should be able to find the speed rating and load index from this info. Don't know if you had the standard or optional tires, think it depends on which suspension you have.

This is from the tech center link at the top of the page:

Corvette Action Center | Research Center | C4 Corvette | 1996 Corvette | Press Release: 1996 Corvette Wheels and Tires

or this from another member posted a few years back:

1996 Corvette

TIRES AND WHEELS (Standard)
  • Tire size: P255/45ZR17 (front), P285/40ZR17 (rear)
  • Tire type: High speed steel belted radial Eagle 40ZR Goodyear, unidirectional and asymetrical.
  • Tire inflation front: 35 psi (coupe), 30 psi (convertible)
  • Revolutions per mile at 45 mph: 497 (P255), 499 (P285)
  • Wheel type and material: Left-right aluminum alloy road wheels with specific vent design.
  • Wheel rim size: 17" x 8.5" (front); 17" x 9.5 (rear), left-right specific.
  • Wheel offset: 1.97"
  • Attachment type: Stud
  • Attachment circle diameter: 4.75"
  • Spare tire and wheel: T155/70D17, 17" x 4" wheel.
  • Spare tire storage position and location: Horizontal under fuel tank.

TIRES AND WHEELS (Optional)
  • Tire size: P275/40ZR17 (front Z16 coupe, front and rear Z51 coupe)
  • Tire type: High speed steel belted radial Eagle 40ZR Goodyear, unidirectional.
  • Wheel type and material: Left-right aluminum alloy road wheels with specific vent design.
  • Tire size: P315/35ZR17 (rear Z16 and Z16/Z51 coupe)
  • Wheel rim size: 17" x 11" left-right specific, 1.41" offset (rear Z16 and Z16/Z51 coupe)

Last edited:
The data contained in the CAC website is incredible. Hope this helps, you should be able to find the speed rating and load index from this info. Don't know if you had the standard or optional tires, think it depends on which suspension you have.

This is from the tech center link at the top of the page:

Corvette Action Center | Research Center | C4 Corvette | 1996 Corvette | Press Release: 1996 Corvette Wheels and Tires

or this from another member posted a few years back:

1996 Corvette

TIRES AND WHEELS (Standard)
  • Tire size: P255/45ZR17 (front), P285/40ZR17 (rear)
  • Tire type: High speed steel belted radial Eagle 40ZR Goodyear, unidirectional and asymetrical.
  • Tire inflation front: 35 psi (coupe), 30 psi (convertible)
  • Revolutions per mile at 45 mph: 497 (P255), 499 (P285)
  • Wheel rim size: 17" x 8.5" (front); 17" x 9.5 (rear), left-right specific.
  • Wheel offset: 1.97"
  • Attachment type: Stud
  • Attachment circle diameter: 4.75"
  • Spare tire and wheel: T155/70D17, 17" x 4" wheel.
  • Spare tire storage position and location: Horizontal under fuel tank.

TIRES AND WHEELS (Optional)
  • Tire size: P275/40ZR17 (front Z16 coupe, front and rear Z51 coupe)
  • Tire type: High speed steel belted radial Eagle 40ZR Goodyear, unidirectional.
  • Tire size: P315/35ZR17 (rear Z16 and Z16/Z51 coupe)
  • Wheel rim size: 17" x 11" left-right specific, 1.41" offset (rear Z16 and Z16/Z51 coupe)
Thanks for the info but unfortunately this is not what I need, and in fact I already have this info. What I need is the factory spec minimum W or weight code acceptable for my vette. all tires have this rating on them, for example my current Kuhmos have a rating on them of W98. Perhaps their is someone out there that has a 96" CE/LT4 convertible who could look at there tires and tell me what W code is on them.

Check out TireRack's page on Service Description (speed rating and load rating) here: Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

The 98W at the end of the tire size - 255/55R17 98W - indicates the speed rating and load index
The letter is the speed rating - W=168 MPH
The number is the max load index per tire - 98 =1653 pounds per tire -- 100 = 1764 per tire

Replacement tires for a 96 Vette on TireRack show 98 front and 100 rear. I haven't found a "minimum required" load index for your Vette.

I hope this helps some.

Or this might help.

Tire Tech Information - Sidewall Markings

If you know what tire was on your Vette when it was sold, you can translate it using all in info supplied in the above posts. I still don't know what suspension you have but,

According to Tire Rack, your OEM size tires are Front: 255/45ZR17 98W Rear: 285/40ZR17 100W

98W is 1653 lbs, 168 mph. 100W is 1764 lbs 168 mph.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom