Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire sensor date code

Bills03Coupe

Corvette
2003 Torch Red Coupe
I just purchased a new sensor, P/N 25773946. the date stamp arrow points to 1 and the numbers on each side of the "clock" are 0 and 8. I assume that means the sensor was manufactured In January 2008. If that is the case, does the nearly 2 1/2 year period sitting on the shelf effect the battery life, or is the battery activated when the sensor is programmed?

The way I understand, the batt is shut off normally. It is activated by centrifugal action - tire rotation> 15mph. When you calibrate, you are by-passing the centrifugal action and closing the switch manually with the magnet.
In reality, the shelf life should be (similar to) the shelf life of a stand alone battery.
They last about 8-10 years in general so you have about ~8yrs left.

I have done some research on this subject and have talked to several World Class Techs and Corvette suppliers who seem to know about this issue. First, the battery is activated when it is manufactured just as all batteries are, there is no "sleep mode". The discharge rate with no load is miniscule. Second, when installed in the wheel and placed on the corvette, and the TPS system activated, it sends a signal to the computer, again miniscule when the corvette is at rest. The drain on the battery is when the corvette is in motion when the signal is transmitted to the DIC. GM and after market suppliers rate the battery life to a minimum of 5 years and up to 10 years if lucky. This is based on the driving life. GM figures that 12K to 15K is the average mileage driven per year. So if your sensor has 60 to 75K miles on it, that equates to 5 years. The less the mileage, the less the years. My 02 coupe is still going strong and it is in it's 9th year, but only has 29K on it, or two + years. Just put new Michelin A/S run flats on it and did not change the sensors as they checked out okay before and after the install. Of course, battery life is an average, so 5 years may be the max. Based on this, I would expect your sensor to function for many years, dependng on the miles driven. I hope this helps and if anyone has more infor, please add to the post.
Barrett

I have done some research on this subject and have talked to several World Class Techs and Corvette suppliers who seem to know about this issue. First, the battery is activated when it is manufactured just as all batteries are, there is no "sleep mode". The discharge rate with no load is miniscule. Second, when installed in the wheel and placed on the corvette, and the TPS system activated, it sends a signal to the computer, again miniscule when the corvette is at rest. The drain on the battery is when the corvette is in motion when the signal is transmitted to the DIC. GM and after market suppliers rate the battery life to a minimum of 5 years and up to 10 years if lucky. This is based on the driving life. GM figures that 12K to 15K is the average mileage driven per year. So if your sensor has 60 to 75K miles on it, that equates to 5 years. The less the mileage, the less the years. My 02 coupe is still going strong and it is in it's 9th year, but only has 29K on it, or two + years. Just put new Michelin A/S run flats on it and did not change the sensors as they checked out okay before and after the install. Of course, battery life is an average, so 5 years may be the max. Based on this, I would expect your sensor to function for many years, dependng on the miles driven. I hope this helps and if anyone has more infor, please add to the post.
Barrett

Thanks Red Vette, for taking to time for such a detailed response. It's truly appreciated (Hey, as RED Vette guys have to stick together, right?)
The vendor I purchased from has agreed to send me a new sensor, manufactured in Dec 2009, so the problem is solved!!

Glad I could help. All corvettes are red, some are just in disguise, but still beautiful and loved by their owners for their disguised color. But, RED corvette owners are joined at the hip in our ove for the color and, and as you say, should stick together.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom