Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
I would like to know, in the humble opinions of everyone here, what brand tire does everyone use?

I've been told that Yokohama's are pretty good, but I'm thinking that since the stock tires are Goodyear's, that's what would be best for the 'Vette.

Also, how many miles could I expect to get out of the tires with me pretty much cruising and not "gunning it" all the time.

What should my tire pressure be at? I believe that I currently have them at about 30-35 PSI's.

You should look at Tire Rack.com it can help you decide which manufacturer might be your best choice. Also on your door should be a sticker that will tell you the stock size and manufacturer recommended tire pressure.

i agree with eagle tire rack will let you compare up to three tires side by side,that way you see performance,wear ,ratings,etc..
i chose the bridgstone potenza 730s for mine.replacing the goodyear gsc`s which after 26k were just about done.

I am currently running GSC's on mine. I run them at 35psi also.
When they do wear out, I'm not sure what I'll replace them with. Depends on how big of a back tire I want to run.....

Jay

i would say 35 psi is good for any tire, just make sure you dont go over the max pressure load. (its marked on the tire) Goodyear GS-C's are a good tire. as well as Firestone SZ50, Michelin Pilots, Kumho's, and Bridgestone Potenza's. I run a fairly cheap Futura Ultra Z (came with the car, still got some tread) right now and am putting SZ50's on when they wear out.

Perhaps you might want to investigate the latest line of Toyo's. Very impressive. If they would of had 315's I would of put them on my C4.

Barbie

eagle85
Thanks for the web site, it was really helpful. The cost for tires was less than I had expected. It also gave me the opportunity to check out prices for the other car.

Does everyone run ZR rated tires in here?

BullWinkle said:
Does everyone run ZR rated tires in here?

Oh man, you should really re-phrase that to read "Does ANYone NOT run ZR rated tires in here? :L

There are a few threads I've seen with reference to the "Z" rating not being necessary, but most of us run them for the other benefits that go along with a higher-rated speed tire; i.e., temperature rating, uh, gimme a minute and I'll think of some more... ;)

_ken

I'm running GSC's on my GS also. I know a lot of GS'ers have gone to BF Goodrich T/A KD's. They are supposed to be superior in the dry traction department than most anything out there.

Jay, Check it out!

The Goodyear F1 Supercar tires become avalible in 315 size starting Oct 1. I am heavily leaning twards these tires when it's time for new ones next summer.

These are the same tires that are Original Equipment on the McLaren F1, the Ferrari F50, and F550, and the 'Vette Z06. With McLaren, Ferrari, and the Z06 running this tire, it's got to be pretty outstanding.

Jason

Tire choices

I dumped my Goodyear GSC's......I thought they were good, Then..,
I put on Firestone SZ50EP's and the differance was incredible :eek Run much quiter and have much more grip! Wet traction is second to none, I now autocross these tires on wet and dry tracks instead of switching over to "racing tires" and will continue to do so!

These Firestone's are made in Japan by "Bridgestone",
treadwear is around 320 rating depending on size. Normal use should get about 30,000 - 40,000 miles out of them.

"Spirited Use" would expect about 10,000 miles :D But, that's why we own Vette's, Right??? (autocrossing)

Air pressure: street use, around 30-32 pounds cold, that's plenty for sidewall rigity and also provides some dampening of bumps in the road.

The "wet traction" is really un-beliveable with these tires! you will not be dis-appointed at all.

Try em', you'll like em'

VR or ZR

I'm not that big of a fan of ZR rated tires on a cruiser. Simply put, their mileage blows chunks. These tires perform better with lower tire pressures than 35, which can incrase wear, but that requires time and testing. I can't speak as per the Firestones, but wet performance is a laugh because anything approaching half-throttle from a stop just produces spin. I've tried BFGoodrich, Goodyear and Michelins. Run down a step to VRs and the price comes down a bit. The main difference is the ability to sustain high speeds (150mph+) for long periods of time. Yes, the handling is great, but is not significant improvement over VR to justify the use on a purely street car. Be honest in your intended use for your car. If you are going to autocross (yawn) or roadrace (the real deal), invest on slicks like BFGoodrich R1s. I, by no means am a slow driver. I concentrate on quickness over outright speed. It sounds weird, but there is a difference. Just because you are fast does not mean you are quick.--Bullitt

Re: Tire choices

Normal use should get about 30,000 - 40,000 miles out of them.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHa,.NO...no no.stop..stop you..y...your hahahahaha,your killing me hahahahahaha....

That's the tires I run.
Let's seeeeee......Put 'em on at 89k,...got about 106k now.........Need to buy tires this weekend........uh ..ummmm...errr.
Whew,30-40,000 out of them equals no fun.

But it is better than some,I must admit.
They handle *pretty good*.

I have the Firestone SZ 50's on my convertible. They are indeed quiet and handling is very good. You wont be dissapointed if you choose these.

I decided on Yokohama A520 P275/40ZR17's.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/04b2c2.html

From what I could find, they had a reasonable combination of traction, water evacuation and road noise.

I've been happy with them so far, with about 2000 miles on them.

"Parking lot skid pad testing" :L at 40 MPH has them holding much better than the "end of life" Goodyears that came off. (Not fair, of course. Tread was near end...)

I have a bit of oversteer, (half tank, no passenger) so will have to work on the suspension to get it more nuetral...but that's later...

Ira

Great lookin' Vette,Keith.:cool

I need to get off my a** and post my pic.
I don't know how,though.:confused

Racer78

Well, that didn't take too long.....

The actual miles were 1273 and I had to replace the right rear. I guess it just felt like around 2000...

As I said, I put on Yokohama A520 P275/40ZR17's.

I did my normal pre-flight :upthumbs and found a sidewall crack:puke.

I jumped in and went back to the store for an evaluation...upon further inspection, I have to admit, it's damage from use...but I cannot, in all honesty, recall anything that even remotely felt like a strong hit on any tire. Everything so far has been highway and parking lot (and since I just got the car, I'm paying attention to everything) :crazy.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know if I have any further issues. But it may be that the A520's are susseptable to sidewall damage with little (even un-noticable) hard use.

If I loose another, they'll be off and another brand in their place.

Ira

Thanks Keith.
I'll get a pic up soon.Need a couple of days.Gotta find a good background.:cool

Yokohoma Advan very noisy

I've got 335/35/R17 on the back of my 96 CE and they are very noisey. The noise just gets louder and louder. There is still nice thread left on the tires but the noise bad. But these tires sure grip the road like I've never had before. Does anyone else own these tires?

Ive got the Michelin Pilot VR's (Came with the car) I don't mind them but I sure don't like them either.

They are way to soft. I mean the ride is great but the car likes to "sit" down to much during hard cornering.

From the reviews Im picking the Kumho's next simply from overall rating and price.

If I was in the perfect world Im a Yokohama fan through and threw. I run the Super Digger fours on my Jeep and Im impressed with the offroad traction I get. (Just keep Yoko's outta the snow not matter what tire it is, they turn to ice blocks)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom