Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To all New Car Dealers - How to Blow Your Customer Relationship (101)

TAC

Corvette
1987 Yellow Callaway TT Convertible & 2003 MY Z06
The day my wife and I have been awaiting for quite some time was here. Last Friday (5/18) we purchased an '03 MY Z06. The dealer was great--they accepted our offer and set delivery for yesterday. There were some defects that were to be fixed like a small cut on the steering wheel (replaced), a stone dead battery (replaced) and repair some rock chips on the driver's door right above the handle.
You all can understand our anticpation. I hadn't even driven the car prior to purchase due to the dead battery. All our coworkers were excited. A good friend of ours even drove us the 15 miles to the dealer so my wife and I could take our first drive together.

Unfortunately it was not to be. Before we even got out to the car the salesman told me "they did the best they could" on the rock chips. To my utter astonishment it appeared they had dabbed on touch-up paint as if it was whiteout! I was absolutely stunned, but not speechless. I told them this was entirely unacceptable--did they really expect to send out a $50k car with touch-up paint to try and hide some chips I'm going to see every blessed time I open the door? No answer.

The salesman (who obviously knew the repair wasn't good yet still tried to get me to take it) said I would have to speak with the Sales Manager to get the car fixed correctly. He went in to get him and the finance guy that closed the sale came out. His first question was "do you want the car?" like was I going to back out of the deal. I said yes, I want the car but I want it fixed. He went and looked at the chips and said he was embarrassed but he wasn't the guy to get it fixed. I said "why am I talking to you, then?" and he said he didn't know. He went and got the Service Manager.

The Service Manager was a little better because he acknowledged the problem and said they would have to have it painted. He would contact the "paint guy" tomorrow. The "paint guy" is the term the salesman used when he said they were going to fix the car in the first place so my immediate question was "Is this the same paint guy that did this job?" which ****ed the Svc Mgr off. He said no, they would take it to a real repair shop to have fixed.

This dealer has no clue. They took what should have been one of the happier days of our life and turned it to crap. To them it's just another car sold but to their customers, especially Corvette customers, it's far more than just another car sale. We took our camera to take pictures and had gone through a week of anticipation and lack of sleep and they crapped all over it. Not only that, the friend who drove us to (and from) the dealership is the Pres of our local Corvette club. I'm the VP. Almost 300 members. In a heartbeat (pun intended) they went from getting glowing reviews to "never go there" over 3 rock chips they said they would fix. My wife was so upset she posted a sign at work that said "No we didn't get the car. No, I don't know when we will get it. No I don't want to talk about it. Thank you."

Thanks for listening...I just had to rant. I'm not mentioning the dealership because I don't think they deserve national recognition. Most the members of my club know where I bought it so they'll lose some of their fair share of the market.

On the other hand...I'm only days away from taking my first drive in my very own Z06.

TAC said:
On the other hand...I'm only days away from taking my first drive in my very own Z06.

It sounds like you did the right thing. You're buying a new car and it should BE new when you buy it. If a dealer can't understand and provide that then he shouldn't get your business.

I'm especially glad that you have some clout with which to add to the dealers misery. It's one thing to walk away from a bad deal, it's another to make it known in the community that a dealer is bad.

Enjoy your new car when you get it!

Well at least you still have each other. :D There is no better gift than that.

Hope things turn out well.

I myself would have forced them to find me another car or just went somewhere else. If they could not handle that, then you get a lawyer.

"Vee half vays un dealing wit dealers lik yu":L

lot more understanding than what I would have been - you indicated when you BOUGHT the car the problems that you expected to be fixed - they were not - I would have been walking out the door and talking with another dealer - the hell with the original dealer, I would be advertising that dealer's name at every opportunity that I get

How could a new car have a dead battery?

So I'm thinking that you're still going to buy the car from them? I'm sure glad I'm not in Washington.

I would've personally backed out of the deal. I'm just the type of person that if you don't want my business and push me around, I'll go somewhere else.

It's not like you're spending a few bucks on something that if you happened to be unsatisfied, you lose a few bucks. We're talking about $50,000 here. That's a big chunk of change and there shouldn't be any compromises in your satisfaction!:D

good grief! touch-up paint.... unbelievable.
I hope they fix it to your satisfaction. Maybe a letter to the owner of the dealership is order?
In a few days, this will seem like just a bad dream. Keep us posted.

I certainly hope this works out for you. There is nothing worse then being disappointed on such a special day. You absolutely made the wise decison by not accepting the car.

So Sorry!!!!!!!!!

You did the correct thing by backing out of the deal. But you have to understand, very few people that work in the sales end of dealerships make any kind of money. They prey on people being morons period.

What they expect is somebody being so excited about getting a new car no matter what model and what imperfections will take it with the line " we'll fix it next week".

This is of course an out and out lie.

Every dealership has an outside firm that touches up damaged cars before del. That is why you must take del on a sunny day where you can go over the car.

They make money on everything and twist the truth when it comes to finance's.

They are there to make as much money as possible from you period.

The first thing you have to remember is that they are there to rip you off.

If you paid the invoice price, they would be still making a lot of money from you by getting rebates from the car co.

They make money by getting you your plates, think about, ask the next time if you can get your own plates!

This is the new car business, like it or not.

This is why, when you find a honest dealership, cherish it.

When you walk into a dealership, they know how much money they have to make on a car and tailor the bull to make that markup.

Alan

OMG! From someone who works in the prep department for a Chevrolet/Caddy dealer, i feel for you....

We've had some vehicles come in w/ rock chips, and almost immediatly, we contact the body shop. TOUCH UP PAINT IS OUR LAST OPTION!!!! Most of the time, if its a small chip/scratch, we've got something that can buff it out, and thats usually what we'll use to cover that stuff up, and then put a coat of "paint sealer" (which is just wax) on there.

Usually (especially w/ a car as high priced as a Corvette) we have 3-4 people inspect them upon delivery. It usually constists of the sales manager, the prep dept manager, and the prepper themself. Being a prepper, im the last person to see the "flaws", but having that many set of eyes, you see different things that some people dont.

I think you did the right thing. We're usually pretty good about customer relations @ our place. If you've pre-bought the car, and theres those kind of flaws, we'll let you know almost immediatly, or let you take a peek of the vehicle before we even wash it. It will go thru what we call a PDI check, which is the mechanic making sure the vehicles systems all work, but thats about it.

Stone chips and a dead battery on a NEW car? WTF? I would not buy there as a point of pride. Although it is nice to buy from a local dealer in terms of service and customer recognition it sounds like this bad experience may be just the beginning of a nightmare relationship. Impress upon this clown his loss, drop a dime to GM customer service head office and show him a printout of this thread.:(
Nothing p's me off like an arrogant dealer who treats you like he's doing the big favour by selling you the car, or acting like YOU work for HIM!
GM customer service will likely make it up to you in a significant way.

Follow up: I was finally able to talk to the GM of the dealership. He was unhappy the way things worked out and made the right noises. The car was sent to a shop where a repair was attempted. Turns out one of the "chips" was actually a defect in the fiberglass. Kind of like a pimple. After the area was repainted the pimple came back. They delivered the car only because they promised it by Sat. afternoon. I talked to the painter and he wants the car back so he didn't have the time constraints so he can fix correctly. The pimple has to be drilled out and re-epoxy'd. The GM has stressed to the owner of the shop the car had to be perfect.

So does that mean you took delivery??:confused If so, why? THere are far too many dealers to have to go through this. You are spending 50K on a new car, I wouldn't accept this vehicle. Your choice, obviuosly! What if the defect comes back in 6 months? Good luck.

Oh well. I guess if you have money pouring out of your ear's it does not matter much. $50,000 is a life savings to me :L
So the car better be brand new with no defects.

Now I understand why so many people by Jap cars. My neighbor bought a 350Z, I went with him to pick it up.

Their attitude was "Any problems, are unacceptable" its a new car, nothing less than perfection upon delivery to the customer.

When I bought my 2000 Bonneville, the dealer treated it like a walk through of a newly built home before closing. After the "punch-list" got to 3 items, I said i dont want the car, I was not going to buy a new car with problems, no matter how small.
The dealer wasnt going to take off anything from their price, so I found another., and that was on 25K car.

Ctfoodguy2000 said:
So does that mean you took delivery??:confused If so, why? THere are far too many dealers to have to go through this. You are spending 50K on a new car, I wouldn't accept this vehicle. Your choice, obviuosly! What if the defect comes back in 6 months? Good luck.

That's my attitude Steve. $50K is a lot of money. There are so many dealers out there, I would find one that would treat you right! There are so many places in general that have the attitude that they're doing you a favor by selling to you.

Edmond - I do believe he took it because TAC has another post going about the car. I really wish him luck & sincerely hope the dealer does him right. I know how hard it would be to "walk away" from the car when it is right in front of you. Damn, I wish we all didn't love these Vettes so much:L :L

Foodguy,

I know that it would be very hard to leave behind such a beautiful vehicle! I would have a hard time doing that myself. But the more I think about it, the more :mad I would get because it's $50K and I'm getting played for a sucker?

It's a good thing we have this Internet thing to let everyone know of our experiences. If not, news would travel much slower and service would probably be less.

How does this go with used vehicles on a Dealership lot?

I ask because we are looking at an 03 Expedition with 14k miles on it.
Price is right. But it does have a few things that I'd like fixed.
Climate controlled seats:
Passenger seat comes on and goes immediately off.
Rear driver fender well has what looks like a door impact (small) but is scratched and needs touching up.

Do I need to insist these things be fixed as well as a FULL service inspection before taking ownership?

Already have been thru the "we dont want your 98 Pathfinder as a trade in cuz its got 110k miles on it" routine.

Thanks for any insight!
Rain (dealing this week)

In my opinion- I wouldn't buy used if they didn't take care of these issues. If it is a Ford dealer (Expedition), I think you have more leverage. If they don't want to fix, insist on a crerdit against the agreed upon price. They should have enough "fat" in the price to take care of these things. Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom